Measy RC13 Fly Mouse

jackbenimble

Measy RC13 Fly Mouse

Postby jackbenimble » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:10 am

I ordered a Measy RC13 rf Flymouse to go with my Neo G4. The RC13 is a flymouse with keyboard, speaker and mic. I like it although somehow it seems backwards to me. When I point it at the screen with the speaker towards the G4 and move the mouse up, the cursor moves down. If I turn it around and with the cursor keypad pointed towards the G4 it works perfectly and it is totally usable and feels normal in this position so I am happy with it. The speaker and the Mic both work which is nice. I can do Google voice searches. Unfortunately, the G4 seems to want to use the RC13 speaker, rather than HDMI as the default so I end up resetting the audio when I reboot. Hopefully I can get Tasker to take care of that for me but I have not messed with it yet. I wish the RC13 had a menu key. I may get brave and try to custom map one.

If I have any luck with Tasker or custom keyboard mapping I will post updates.

jackbenimble

Re: Measy RC13 Fly Mouse

Postby jackbenimble » Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:47 pm

jackbenimble wrote:If I have any luck with Tasker or custom keyboard mapping I will post updates.

OK ... I have been screwing around.

As far as using Tasker to set the default sound device to HDMI rather than the speaker on my Measy RC13 keyboard, I did not have too much luck. Tasker has no ability to tweak the settings in the "Sound Device Manager" which apparently is some sort of extension to the usual settings found in a phone. The best I could do was to have Tasker open the settings dialogue about 30 seconds after the NEO G4 boots and that reminds me to go fix the setting. A minor pain in the butt. A little better than wondering why no sound is coming out. If anybody has a better idea, let me know!

I fixed the Keyboard Mappings so that now the F1 key (which seems to be basically useless in Android) is now a Menu key. That is quite handy. Follow the instructions below at your own risk. You have a chance of screwing up your G4 .

Changing the Keyboard mappings was scary business for someone at my technical level but actually was fairly easy. I followed these instructions almost exactly:

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=159538

Except that I would not that while there is a file called qwerty.kl it is obsolete and the file that you actually want to edit is called Generic.kl . Also, I used ES File Explorer instead of Root Explorer. You need to go into the settings and check all the boxes that let you do stuff at the root level and you have to grant the app superuser authority. I copied the file, made a backup copy, moved it over to my NAS drive so I could edit it using my Windows 7, notepad app.

The only change I made was to do a search on the file and find 59. That is the scancode which the Keytest app said was being sent by the F1 key on my Measy. It was followed by F1 which is the usual Keycode for that key scancode but doesn't do much in most android applications. I changed the F1 to MENU (all caps). After I made the change and wrote the file back to /system/usr/keylayout/Generic.kl (with a capital G) and then rebooted. Now when I hit the F1 key on my Measy RC13 it sends the scancode 59 like it always did but instead of being an F1 key it now brings up the android menu for whatever application you are in. It is perfect!

tibox

Postby tibox » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:10 am

Thanks for you feedback.

Did you manage the audio device with this menu :

On http://www.measy.com.cn/product/showproduct51_en.htm we can see :

jackbenimble

Postby jackbenimble » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:08 pm

Both.

I followed the Measy instructions. Most of the time I leave the RC13 audio (mic and speaker) off.

But when I boot the Neo G4, even with the RC13 audio off, I need to go into the Neo G4 "Sound Devices Manager" (the first screen shot you posted) and change the speaker from the RC13 where it defaults on every boot to the HDMI output. It is kind of a pain.

I tried booting without the RC13 dongle in the USB Port. It then boots to HDMI as the audio output and in the Sound Devices Manager that is the only device shown. As soon as I insert the dongle, the RC13 speaker shows up instantly in the Sound Devices Manager and irritatingly, it becomes the default device.

As I posted elsewhere in the Skype thread, the RC13 in combination with the NEO G4 does not seem to work with Skype which would be the biggest reason for having a remote control with a built-in speaker and mic. If I had it to do again, I would probably order a different remote. I've been reading good things about the Mele F10. I also really like DroidMote.

Return to “Working Peripherals”