Adobe Flash Player on Neo G4 with Jelly Bean

jackbenimble

Adobe Flash Player on Neo G4 with Jelly Bean

Postby jackbenimble » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:29 am

After I flashed the new Jelly Bean firmware to my Neo G4 I found out that I lost the Adobe Flash Player. It almost caused me to revert back to Ice Cream Sandwich because Flash is really important to me because I do not have cable TV and I use the G4 to stream the only channels I miss from cable which are CNN and Fox.

I finally got Flash working on my Neo G4 running Jelly Bean but it was a struggle that took several hours.

Jelly Bean does not support Flash so you might get some occassional freezes and crashes. But I watched streaming Fox News using Flash for 2 hours last night with no problem.

First you need to root the G4. This procedure worked for me:
http://tabletrepublic.com/forum/android ... #post32102

The only thing that is unclear in those instructions is that between each of the 3 reboots in the rooting process you need to go back into the Minix settings and re-choose "Connect to PC" and wait for the device to be recognized by Moborobo before proceeding to the next reboot.

Next you need to download and sideload the Flash APK. I followed these instructions:

http://blogs.computerworld.com/applicat ... uires-hack

Finally you need to get the Dolphin Browser from the App Store and do this minor hack as per these instructions:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthr ... ?t=1906341

That did the trick for me. And I just saved you about 4 hours of frustration trying to figure this stuff out.

mills2533

Re: Adobe Flash Player on Neo G4 with Jelly Bean

Postby mills2533 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:28 pm

Hope you won't mind answering some Q's after figuring all of that out.

Does Jelly Bean run smoother/faster?
Are you using the remote app that Minix developed?
Are you getting a true 1080p picture now?

jackbenimble

Re: Adobe Flash Player on Neo G4 with Jelly Bean

Postby jackbenimble » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:39 am

mills2533 wrote:Hope you won't mind answering some Q's after figuring all of that out.

Does Jelly Bean run smoother/faster?
Are you using the remote app that Minix developed?
Are you getting a true 1080p picture now?

The upgrade was a lot of work because all of my apps needed to be reloaded and reconfigured. The result was for the most part favorable but at most an incremental improvement. I don't notice any performance differences although it benchmarks better. It was hardly worth the effort except that it was an interesting technical adventure.

The Good:

Better menus at the bottom of the screen (volume control, hide and restore status bar, better power button that allows reboot)
Better Benchmark scores: Antutu: 7729)
My RC 13 Airmouse seems to work better

The Bad:
Flash not as well supported although I am not having any significant problems with it
Slower boot-up

I have installed the new remote control software and it works great. It is not quite as powerful as DroidMote which I like better but which requires root. I mostly don't bother with either and just use my RC13 airmouse.

Antutu reports my Screen resolution as 1280 x 672 even though in my settings it is set to 1080P. Other people have reported this on the Minix FB page and this was the response: "MINIX HDMI resolution is 1920x1080, frame buffer is 1280x720, software reads the frame buffer not the HDMI resolution." So I am not sure what to think. I do know that if I go into the settings and drop the resolution to 720P the screen fonts get larger and if I drop it to 480P they get larger yet so I think perhaps Minix knows what they are talking about.

Hope that helps.

Return to “Apps and Software Mods”