MiniX Neo G4

jackbenimble

Re: MiniX Neo G4

Postby jackbenimble » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:12 pm

joker wrote:
The unit itself barely gets warm, even after using it for hours. Would you happen to know if using a live wallpaper would use a lot more power then a still one. I'm guessing yes, but would it be noticable? Also, let us know if your unit powers back on in about 30 seconds after powering off.

Thanks

My understanding is that it is a variable speed CPU which speeds up as the workload goes up. Live wallpaper will mean that the CPU will be running at a higher cycle rate and that will be more heat. I have no idea how much. Personally, I never put stuff like that on my computers. In addition to CPU overhead, at least on Windows boxes, they are more likely to be glitzy and cause lockups and other abnormal stuff.

I'll post a review when I get my G4 and will include the remote shutdown behavior. I wish it would arrive soon. It was in the People's Republic yesterday and Hong Kong this morning. I hope it is on an airplane now but I fear it is on the proverbial slow boat from China.

joker

Postby joker » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:29 pm

jackbenimble wrote:
joker wrote:
The unit itself barely gets warm, even after using it for hours. Would you happen to know if using a live wallpaper would use a lot more power then a still one. I'm guessing yes, but would it be noticable? Also, let us know if your unit powers back on in about 30 seconds after powering off.

Thanks

My understanding is that it is a variable speed CPU which speeds up as the workload goes up. Live wallpaper will mean that the CPU will be running at a higher cycle rate and that will be more heat. I have no idea how much. Personally, I never put stuff like that on my computers. In addition to CPU overhead, at least on Windows boxes, they are more likely to be glitzy and cause lockups and other abnormal stuff.

I'll post a review when I get my G4 and will include the remote shutdown behavior. I wish it would arrive soon. It was in the People's Republic yesterday and Hong Kong this morning. I hope it is on an airplane now but I fear it is on the proverbial slow boat from China.

Mine took 14 days to arrive from China. 8 days to Chicago & 6 days to Maine. Thanks for the above info. Guess I'll forget about using live wallpapers.

asfik1

Postby asfik1 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:07 pm

joker wrote:It's to bad it doesn't have a way to power it off and on. I don't know if leaving it on all the time is good for it. Supposedly, the power button on the remote only powers it off, not on. Mine restarts 30 seconds after I turn it off and I can't seem to figure out a way to make it stay off. Other then that, I like it quite a bit.

Hi, I confirm this restart issue. After I get my unit yesterday (it need 3 weeks to deliver to Indonesia), I rooted this device and then install power off application from market. Soon after turning off, it starting booting again. Thank you

tibox

Postby tibox » Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:57 am

basem wrote:
mrspin wrote:OK I will test as I have a ps3 so will see if the controller works :)

really pleased with the MiniX G4 so far - seems to handle everything I throw at it and not a problem from my Wifi. It also has an airplay function for Ipad airplay too :)

wow ! thats cool ! how is the airplay preformance ? any delay issues ?

here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHQ0VelNJLo we can see the compatibility between minix neo g4 with airplay DMR (pro version).

Do you think this app works with all dongle android like uhost2,MK8xx UG802 ?

thanks

jackbenimble

Postby jackbenimble » Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:02 pm

asfik1 wrote:
joker wrote:It's to bad it doesn't have a way to power it off and on. I don't know if leaving it on all the time is good for it. Supposedly, the power button on the remote only powers it off, not on. Mine restarts 30 seconds after I turn it off and I can't seem to figure out a way to make it stay off. Other then that, I like it quite a bit.

Hi, I confirm this restart issue. After I get my unit yesterday (it need 3 weeks to deliver to Indonesia), I rooted this device and then install power off application from market. Soon after turning off, it starting booting again. Thank you

I think that must be normal. I'm going to leave mine on all the time and only reboot it when it seems to be having issues. I tried a few different PowerOff applications from the app store. Most of them would cause the Neo G4 to shutdown and reboot but a couple of them caused the wifi to be disabled and broken when the reboot was complete. I I could not turn the wifi on at all and I had to reboot by unplugging it to bring it back to life. It was not every time as sometimes they worked fine. But it was flakey. The one I am using now is called Quickboot by Sirius. It allows about 4 different reboot options. The one that seems to work flawlessly is "Power-off". Wifi comes back to life everytime.

The other way I have discovered to reboot is with the power button the the 2nd remote screen of DroidMote. DroidMote is rapidly becoming my preferred way of controlling my G4. Sometimes I like the Flymouse though.

kenofstephen

Postby kenofstephen » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:18 am

soft power off isn't supported on NEO G4, very simple...
the power will turn it on again as soon as it is "off" 8-)

otaku888

Postby otaku888 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:12 pm

I've had mine for a few days. It seems very stable and capable. Gets slightly warm, but as I'm mostly streaming video through Dlna and watching Internet video that's not surprising. I haven't rooted yet but intend to so I can use droidmote and play some mame games. Unit seems well put together and I like the fact it doesn't have an extruding HDMI plug.

mills2533

Postby mills2533 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:35 pm

x2

Definitely gets hotter using video but that is expected. I have mine inside an enclosed cabinet and may move it out so it gets more air. The G4 hasn't dropped a single connection for me in a little over a week since I connected it. And Android 4.0 has been very stable. Haven't had to reset the device yet either. I'm very happy with it.

This part may belong in the review section...

There are a few negatives with the packaging. One problem is the length of the cords that came in the package. I think the power converter that goes from USB to mini USB is only 3 feet. I replaced it with a 6 footer. Since I'm in the US, I ordered a different power converter for our style outlet. The one that comes in the package has a UK plug with an adapter and it just doesn't "feel" safe. Also, it doesn't come with an HDMI cord which I need because I'm running the device through my receiver and then into the TV. But don't let any of that stop you from getting it as cords are pretty cheap to get!

otaku888 wrote:I've had mine for a few days. It seems very stable and capable. Gets slightly warm, but as I'm mostly streaming video through Dlna and watching Internet video that's not surprising. I haven't rooted yet but intend to so I can use droidmote and play some mame games. Unit seems well put together and I like the fact it doesn't have an extruding HDMI plug.

minipc

Postby minipc » Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:00 am

jackbenimble wrote:
asfik1 wrote:

I think that must be normal. I'm going to leave mine on all the time and only reboot it when it seems to be having issues. I tried a few different PowerOff applications from the app store. Most of them would cause the Neo G4 to shutdown and reboot but a couple of them caused the wifi to be disabled and broken when the reboot was complete. I I could not turn the wifi on at all and I had to reboot by unplugging it to bring it back to life. It was not every time as sometimes they worked fine. But it was flakey. The one I am using now is called Quickboot by Sirius. It allows about 4 different reboot options. The one that seems to work flawlessly is "Power-off". Wifi comes back to life everytime.

The other way I have discovered to reboot is with the power button the the 2nd remote screen of DroidMote. DroidMote is rapidly becoming my preferred way of controlling my G4. Sometimes I like the Flymouse though.

the wifi disabled could be due to the changing mac address when the stick restart. Understand Minix is working on a fix for this problem in their firmware.

Mow

Postby Mow » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:08 pm

kenofstephen wrote:soft power off isn't supported on NEO G4, very simple...
the power will turn it on again as soon as it is "off" 8-)

This is (kinda) wrong. If you hold the power off button for a few seconds, a menu will pop up asking you if you want to shut down. It doesn't properly shut down my G4, but it actually restarts it (without bugging the wifi)

Return to “Firmware”