MiniX Neo G4

mrspin

Re: MiniX Neo G4

Postby mrspin » Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:35 pm

deadhp1 wrote:any idea what wireless chipset this is running?
Have you rooted it?(the instructions used for the ICS ug802 should also work for this)
Can you post a dmesg.txt from terminal emulator?

Code: Select all

su
dmesg > /sdcard/dmesg.txt

I'm attempting to see if any of my JB kernels will work on this when I get it.

Thanks!

will supply the necessary when I get back no problems

jlcd

Postby jlcd » Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:57 pm

Here you can see a mini review, and unroot method, by zulu99 (the developer of the Droidmote software)

http://www.videomap.it/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=41#p83

diger

Postby diger » Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:05 am

dmesg says: Realtek RTL8188EU

diger

Postby diger » Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:09 am

ebianchi wrote:and if bluetooth controller are working without problems in some emulator like mame

The Neo G4 has NO Bluetooth. It was a mistake in the specs (copied from Neo X5)

ebianchi

Postby ebianchi » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:39 pm

thank you diger !!
I will buy neo X5 for me bluettoh is a must have!!!
ciao

userx

Postby userx » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:55 pm

diger wrote:

Same wifi chipset as UG802 and MK802 III.
Sounds like we need the firmware to possibly dev another Rom from this device.
:D

NWolvie

Postby NWolvie » Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:48 pm

userx wrote:
diger wrote:

Same wifi chipset as UG802 and MK802 III.
Sounds like we need the firmware to possibly dev another Rom from this device.
:D

x2!!! If that was possible, these MK808's wouldn't be such a heart ache.

ebianchi

Postby ebianchi » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:38 am

@diger when you have time, could you please test a USB gamepad (xbox360/ps3/etcetc) ? I'd like to know if usb gamepads are recognized so I will use one of those instead of a bluetooth one....thank you

diger

Postby diger » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:27 am

@ebianchi,
Unfortunately I have no gamepad. Therefore, I can not test it.

zbutsam

Postby zbutsam » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:03 pm

hello, could you please test if you can connect an external usb 2.5 inch hard drive to it like the WD passport. thanks in advance

joker

Postby joker » Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:01 am

Hi guys. I'm expecting my NEO to be delivered in about a week, however, I did have a question. Let me start by saying I am very new to this & on a scale of 1-10, my knowledge base is about a 4, but I'm reading & learning. I know it's being delivered with a 4.0 but upgradeable to 4.1. Is the 4.1 availabe yet & how does one get the upgrade? Thanks.

baxo

Postby baxo » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:18 am

joker wrote:Hi guys. I'm expecting my NEO to be delivered in about a week, however, I did have a question. Let me start by saying I am very new to this & on a scale of 1-10, my knowledge base is about a 4, but I'm reading & learning. I know it's being delivered with a 4.0 but upgradeable to 4.1. Is the 4.1 availabe yet & how does one get the upgrade? Thanks.

their official website is http://www.minix.com.hk

the firmware update link is http://minix.com.hk/category/firmware-download/

it's still empty at the moment but I am guessing that they will release the firmware and may be the instruction on their website

joker

Postby joker » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:39 am

baxo wrote:
joker wrote:Hi guys. I'm expecting my NEO to be delivered in about a week, however, I did have a question. Let me start by saying I am very new to this & on a scale of 1-10, my knowledge base is about a 4, but I'm reading & learning. I know it's being delivered with a 4.0 but upgradeable to 4.1. Is the 4.1 availabe yet & how does one get the upgrade? Thanks.

their official website is http://www.minix.com.hk

the firmware update link is http://minix.com.hk/category/firmware-download/

it's still empty at the moment but I am guessing that they will release the firmware and may be the instruction on their website

Thanks. I'll keep checking & hopefully, I'll be able to figure it out when it is available.

jackbenimble

Postby jackbenimble » Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:31 pm

joker wrote:I know it's being delivered with a 4.0 but upgradeable to 4.1. Is the 4.1 availabe yet & how does one get the upgrade? Thanks.

As far as I can tell, the most reliable way to communicated directly with Minix is at their Facebook site which you can find here:

https://www.facebook.com/minixtech

If you look back through the old comments I think you will find a question about how they are going to push out 4.1 and an answer from Minix which I recall is a little vague.

Also on their Facebook page I found a link to the Windows Drivers for the Neo G4 (and I think perhaps all the other devices using the same CPU and chipset). You might need these if you have trouble while you are following the instructions for rooting your G4. Disclaimer: I don't have my G4 yet and I don't know if these drivers work or if you actually need them to root although I did see one person on another forum indicating that he was initially having problems with the rooting process and that these drivers solved his problem. I definitely plan to root my G4 so I can use DroidMote from my Samsung Galaxy S3 as a remote. It seems to offer some really cool features for gaming. Also I've always wanted to root an Android but I have never been brave enough to risk bricking a $600 phone. A $75 stick PC I'm more willing to hack at.

Here is the link to the drivers:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/aj53lp

Here is a link to instructions for rooting the G4:

http://stuff24.de/blog/howto-root-minix-neo-x5-g4-rk3066/

And here is an alternative but almost identical set of instructions for rooting from the developer of DroidMote:

http://www.videomap.it/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=41

kukreti.manish

Postby kukreti.manish » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:56 am

Any more users had a chance to play around with Neo G4?

1. Does wifi maintain its stability and speed for long enough to watch a movie, without droppings? Mrspin achieved good speed. Whats the experience of other users?
2. And does it work good with 2.4 wifi keyboard?
3. Skype video chat?

In my opinion a stable ICS 4.0 is better than a rushed through 4.1, which many other mini pc makers seem to be doing, without any thought to stability of the device and the program. Seems Minix is indeed going to give us a stable 4.1.

joker

Postby joker » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:24 am

kukreti.manish wrote:Any more users had a chance to play around with Neo G4?

1. Does wifi maintain its stability and speed for long enough to watch a movie, without droppings? Mrspin achieved good speed. Whats the experience of other users?
3. Skype video chat?

In my opinion a stable ICS 4.0 is better than a rushed through 4.1, which many other mini pc makers seem to be doing, without any thought to stability of the device and the program. Seems Minix is indeed going to give us a stable 4.1.

I haven't had time to watch a movie yet, but, my G4 is almost 28 feet from my router & I haven't lost the signal once, and the day I received it, I was experimenting for over 4 hours. In responce to your second question, I bought one of the mini keyboard/mouse and returned it after 2 hours of use. Typing was a pain. The letters kept repeating themselves & there was no fix for it. I then bought a Logitech K400. Excellent performance.5 stars. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

kukreti.manish

Postby kukreti.manish » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:39 am

joker wrote:

3. Skype video chat?

I haven't had time to watch a movie yet, but, my G4 is almost 28 feet from my router & I haven't lost the signal once, and the day I received it, I was experimenting for over 4 hours. In responce to your second question, I bought one of the mini keyboard/mouse and returned it after 2 hours of use. Typing was a pain. The letters kept repeating themselves & there was no fix for it. I then bought a Logitech K400. Excellent performance.5 stars. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

@Joker Thanks a lot! Seems finally we have got our hands on a pretty good device. I came across somewhere that Logitech C100 webcam works with Neo G4.

joker

Postby joker » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:38 pm

kukreti.manish wrote:
joker wrote:

3. Skype video chat?

@Joker Thanks a lot! Seems finally we have got our hands on a pretty good device. I came across somewhere that Logitech C100 webcam works with Neo G4.

It's to bad it doesn't have a way to power it off and on. I don't know if leaving it on all the time is good for it. Supposedly, the power button on the remote only powers it off, not on. Mine restarts 30 seconds after I turn it off and I can't seem to figure out a way to make it stay off. Other then that, I like it quite a bit.

jackbenimble

Postby jackbenimble » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:09 pm

joker wrote:It's to bad it doesn't have a way to power it off and on. I don't know if leaving it on all the time is good for it. Supposedly, the power button on the remote only powers it off, not on. Mine restarts 30 seconds after I turn it off and I can't seem to figure out a way to make it stay off. Other then that, I like it quite a bit.

That's wierd that it automatically comes back on. I wonder if that is normal?

Mine is supposed to arrive in the next few days. I'm not going to worry about power much. I leave my computer, my phone and my roku on most of the time without any ill effects. The roku is a fairly similar device and it has been on almost constantly for 3 years now. The phone has a bigger processor, a lot more electronics (GPS, video display, bluetooth) and also a battery packed into a tiny unventalated case and at most if sometimes feels mildly warm. I don't think being on all the time is going to hurt the G4 since nobody is reporting heat issues.

Mine is only going to get shut-off when it gets squirrelly and appears to need a hard reboot.

You could try powering it from a USB port on your TV. Then it would switch on and off with your TV.

joker

Postby joker » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:07 pm

jackbenimble wrote:
joker wrote:It's to bad it doesn't have a way to power it off and on. I don't know if leaving it on all the time is good for it. Supposedly, the power button on the remote only powers it off, not on. Mine restarts 30 seconds after I turn it off and I can't seem to figure out a way to make it stay off. Other then that, I like it quite a bit.

That's wierd that it automatically comes back on. I wonder if that is normal?

Mine is supposed to arrive in the next few days. I'm not going to worry about power much. I leave my computer, my phone and my roku on most of the time without any ill effects. The roku is a fairly similar device and it has been on almost constantly for 3 years now. The phone has a bigger processor, a lot more electronics (GPS, video display, bluetooth) and also a battery packed into a tiny unventalated case and at most if sometimes feels mildly warm. I don't think being on all the time is going to hurt the G4 since nobody is reporting heat issues.

Mine is only going to get shut-off when it gets squirrelly and appears to need a hard reboot.

You could try powering it from a USB port on your TV. Then it would switch on and off with your TV.

The unit itself barely gets warm, even after using it for hours. Would you happen to know if using a live wallpaper would use a lot more power then a still one. I'm guessing yes, but would it be noticable? Also, let us know if your unit powers back on in about 30 seconds after powering off.

Thanks

Return to “Firmware”