Audio Pops and Crackles

Forum for the Minix Neo G4 android tv stick
Evref

Audio Pops and Crackles

Postby Evref » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:08 pm

I've had the Neo G4 for just a day, but have experienced a troubling problem. Whether using Google Music, Mog, or stock music app (playing music off microSD card), there is a consistent problem with pops in the audio. The problem occurs to a lesser degree when playing songs or videos through YouTube app, which is slightly encouraging. I've connected the G4 directly to outlet on TV, and also with 2 different HDMI cables. Problem consistent using all these connection methods. When no audio is being played, there's no noise. Also, videos on youtube with no music (just talking) seem to not have the noises. Please let me know if anyone else has this problem, or if you've used the same apps, but have no such problem with audio quality.

Evref

Re: Audio Pops and Crackles

Postby Evref » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:11 pm

Still having the issue. A couple of non-music media apps I've tested do not cause this problem- Crackle, Daily Motion. On that note, I've had no problems with video. Not sure what to make of that. I wonder if there's a possibility that my TV is causing some sort of interference with the G4. Not an unusual TV, a Samsung LCD. I haven't yet had the chance to try it out at a friend's, but will soon. Hoping that the upcoming firmware update may amazingly address this. No one seems to have same problem here yet, hope I didn't get a dud.

mills2533

Postby mills2533 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:00 pm

I installed Pandora and have had it playing for a few songs and do not notice any popping or crackling. I have the device plugged into a AV receiver. The quality of the stream from Pandora may be of lesser quality than what you're using though.

Evref

Postby Evref » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:59 pm

Have same problem with Pandora also. I have it hooked into reciever as well (from TV audio out). Problem consistent through TV speakers or amp. Thanks for response.

mills2533

Postby mills2533 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:22 pm

I watched a movie on Netflix last night and did hear one pop about an hour and a half into the movie. I have the G4's HDMI out going to the receiver first and then it goes to the TV. The speakers are hooked up to the receiver as well. Not sure if that makes a difference.

otaku888

Postby otaku888 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:42 pm

I have them quite a lot while streaming movies. I think it happens the most while wifi is active. I'm pretty sure I had this same problem on a phone once and it was caused by a problem with the audio drivers.

I guess the best thing is to make a bug report to the Minix guys perhaps on their Facebook page.

Evref

Postby Evref » Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:42 pm

yes, I was thinking audio drivers. Since i'm anti-facebook and don't have account, could you be a fine chap, and make that post for us? I'd appreciate it much. Maybe they can magically work that into next firmware update.

I tested my G4 on another TV, problem persisted. Thought as I said small chance that my older TV gave off some weird interference. Though a couple of people responded here with related issue, troubling that no one has it as bad as me. Hoping new audio drivers will do the trick.

otaku888

Postby otaku888 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:43 am

I have sent them a message on facebook and a link to this thread.

Evref

Postby Evref » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:46 pm

This problem has mysteriously fixed itself for me. I reformatted the G4, and before adding any app or root I tried to play music. Problem remained. I had been using the DroidMote app exclusively before for mouse control (great app), but to setup the G4 before rooting, this time I plugged in a USB wireless mouse. All of a sudden, problem was gone! Unplugged the mouse, still no noises. Have been running it through the paces last few days, using all apps, listening to tons of music, watching lots of videos, and problem seems alleviated. Seems strange yes, but this was my experience. Quite happy with the little guy now.

Evref

Postby Evref » Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:01 pm

I'd like to confirm last post with a slight variation, but more confidence. For whatever reason, the USB port is the difference for me. In the last post, I mentioned that after plugging in a USB mouse, the audio problem was gone, even after unplugging the mouse. To amend that, the problem actually requires me to leave the mouse, or seemingly anything plugged into the USB port (using USB hub now). Since time of last post, I've played extensive music and video over all the apps mentioned (+Netflix, and streamed videos from PC media server), and have no recurrence of this issue.

If this were something I bought domestically, I'd have probably returned it. But I didn't want to bother shipping back to China, and waiting forever for a replacement. It seems really hard to say if my problem is one of hardware or software. This is part of why I posted here of course, if no one else had the same problem, it would obviously seem like hardware. Couple people have noticed some issues here, I wonder if the USB port aspect makes a difference for them? Otherwise, I'll just hope a firmware update addresses this.

hederstad

Postby hederstad » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:11 am

Just thinking out loud here, but could it be related to voltage? I have a friend and his power supply was bad... In your case maybe the voltage could be a bit to high? Perhaps the extra load from mouse or whatever brings it down just a little bit, but enough to solve the issue? I would have tried another power supply just in case...

nelinjo

Postby nelinjo » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:11 pm

Evref i have a similar issue while clicking on any app in ics and jb. Kind of crackling noise.Device is gk802. Movies great and music no issues whatsoever. Will buy a new power adapter to try. I have a mouse plugged in only.

otaku888

Postby otaku888 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:51 pm

I am sure it was a software issue, I have recently updated to the latest firmware and am not getting any audio defects at all now.

Return to “Neo G4”