Minix Neo G4 Review

Forum for the Minix Neo G4 android tv stick
genosyde

Minix Neo G4 Review

Postby genosyde » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:17 pm

I got my hands on the new Minix Neo G4 and I've written a review on it. While it is just another RK3066 based device, I was really impressed by the stock firmware. Pretty good launcher that works well with the included IR remote and it is the most stable one yet that I have across on a RK3066 device.

http://www.squidoo.com/minix-neo-g4-review

jackbenimble

Re: Minix Neo G4 Review

Postby jackbenimble » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:50 pm

Nice review and very helpful.

The information on the IR remote was very useful. I believe the Neo G4 is the only mini with IR capability and, for me, it will be very useful to be able to control this device using the same universal IR remote that I use for the rest of my A/V gear. My non-geeky wife will particularly like this ability. I realize it will be clunky compared to a fly mouse but it will still be handy.

I ordered one of these and also a Measy RC13 flymouse. Can't wait for them to arrive.

I noticed in your review that you note it did not work for games requiring touchscreen. Since you have rooted your device, I wonder if you have tried the DroidMote apps from the play store? They allow you to use your smartphone as a remote control through the wifi and I believe give you this touch capability. I plan to try them.

compyy

Postby compyy » Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:12 pm

Goood Review

Tablet_Collector

Postby Tablet_Collector » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:11 pm

Interesting review, thank you.

Were you not able to use the Hidebar app to get rid of the bottom toolbar?

I am torn between this and the X5 as I am looking to replace my wdtv live with it and the X5's built in Ethernet port would be useful not to mention Bluetooth.

Thanks
Jez
Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

geekbuying

Postby geekbuying » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:36 am

Tablet_Collector wrote:Interesting review, thank you.

Were you not able to use the Hidebar app to get rid of the bottom toolbar?

I am torn between this and the X5 as I am looking to replace my wdtv live with it and the X5's built in Ethernet port would be useful not to mention Bluetooth.

Thanks
Jez
Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Can you let me know where i can get the hidebar app? I will test for you.

thanks

ebianchi

Postby ebianchi » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:24 pm

Try hide bar http://ppareit.github.com/HideBar/ it's free

genosyde

Postby genosyde » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:50 pm

Hidebar app works but I could not get the bar to reappear again until I reboot the device. I have read of others who managed to get it to reappear by long button presses but it did not work for me. The only workaround that worked for me was to install Button Savior app that created another auto hide menu bar on the right edge of the screen.

cereus

Postby cereus » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:36 pm

genosyde wrote:http://www.squidoo.com/minix-neo-g4-review

Most accurate review of all the sticks, I've seen!

... wish I'd've seen it before I bought the MK808! ... after trying to solder the antenna, it's now garbage!

Picked up a G4 last week from newegg! ... free 2-day shipping with "shoprunner" ... I'm now streaming .wtv from WMC (recorded from HDHDR3) at 75mbps - 150mbps ... to Skifta/MXPlayer ... some frames get a little pixelated ... particularly with fast-action scenes ... but audio is in-sync, and smooth! There's also a HDHR3 app ... for direct streaming from the HDHR3 ... I couldn't get it to work with MXPlayer ... and with VPlayer, the audio is out of sync (also, some of the channels which otherwise record fine, on WMC, don't stream to the stick ... but my WMC is wired to the same router as my HDHR3). Then again, if I wanted to watch live TV, I'd just switch the input to the built-in tuner! :lol:

I'm still on the stock ROM ... there was a display option for 1080p ... admittedly, I really can't tell if it's actually 1080p or 720?! ... when the frames aren't pixelated, it looks every bit as good as live OTA HD! ... so I'll take it!

Only app issues I've seen, as of yet, are iHeartRadio (found an .apk somewhere though, and that installed just fine!) ... and Amazon Video On Demand (which, is apparently only available for one "smart" TV, and the Kindle) Haven't tried a whole lot else! ... Angry Birds ... that works fine! ... Jorte widget (text is overly pixelated, for some reason). I wouldn't mind Droidmote ... but that requires "root" ... and I ain't in a hurry to break what I've got working! Seems to me, somewhere along the line, something I installed ... or wanted to install ... wouldn't work with a "rooted" device?!

I don't care to get into rooting and flashing ... BTDT with the MK808 ... ready to just enjoy using it! I see there's a 4.1.1 firmware update for it ... no clue what it "fixes"?! Again, vs. the MK808 (even having flashed a purdy nice ROM/kernel on it), I got almost no complaints!

Netflix app automatically hides the bar ... and as soon as it's done playing, it comes back ... automatically! Haven't tried Amazon, yet! Played a trailer on Youtube ... it was fullscreen ... read somewhere someone said they couldn't?! ... maybe mine has a newer ROM?! ... don't recall if it hid the bar ... sorry! ... still looked plenty good!

I suspect, once someone starts making these things with quad-core CPU's at over 2.0Ghz, and at least the wi-fi that's in the G4, my .wtv streams will play flawlessly?! 'Til then, what I've got now is about 10,000x better than any VCR I've ever owned ... so I'll take it!

I thought I saw somewhere that the X5 limits wi-fi to 65mbps?! ... why would they put less than half the wi-fi in a bigger box?! :?

It sounds like some folks are working on getting USB wi-fi adapters working on some of the other devices?! ... I think if there was a way they could ship 'em, that they'd work with most any USB wi-fi adapter (overriding the built-in wi-fi ... that apparently has an ill-soldered antenna?! :roll: ) ... most of those other devices would be just fine?! Then again, when ya factor in the cost of an additional USB wi-fi adaptor, many of 'em end up costing more than the G4! Am I missing something, here?! :| On a somewhat related note ... if the SiliconDust folks can get their act together, and make a working app to receive the stream from the HDHR3 (as well as WMC does), and someone makes one of these devices to take a SSD ... I see no reason anyone would need a WMC/PC (or Myth)?! ... that's about all I use my laptop for, anymore, anyway!

I've been using a Logitech K400 ... but now that I've ordered two more G4's, I'll pair the K400 with one of them ... at which, for my TV, I'd like something smaller ... like the 5in Touchpad-only ... I'm looking for anyone who's tried it?! ... http://www.armtvtech.com/armtvtechforum/viewtopic.php?f=86&t=1233

mills2533

Postby mills2533 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:42 am

The price has also dropped to $61.99 on geekbuying. Might have to pick up another since the first one I have is working so well. Wonder what they're showing at CES...

Droidgirlsz

Postby Droidgirlsz » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:04 am

Android Mini PC/ Phone / Tablet Store
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/803232

Return to “Neo G4”