Very fragile ports

ApocalypseSticks

Very fragile ports

Postby ApocalypseSticks » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:28 am

One of the biggest weaknesses of the iMito MX1 is the way the ports are soldered on. Both of my ports have come loose, rendering the unit inoperable.

I guess one too many crashes and firmware updates required one too many plug changes. A warning to those with functional units. Be VERY careful with the iMitos.

I'm going to try out the MK808 until the Ouya is released.

enviro8

Re: Very fragile ports

Postby enviro8 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:24 pm

My microUSB OTG port came loose so I am asking for a refund due to the unit not being suitable for normal use as supplied as a consequence of poor workmanship and/or poor design.

baseline

Postby baseline » Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:15 pm

i just received my mx1 and thanks for the tip, i'll try to be careful with it.

is it possible to solder back on the ports? or does it rip itself off along with the pads?

szucsati

Postby szucsati » Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:16 pm

This is my issue too. I have two devices, one is working OK I think, it's plugged in to a telly. The other one is more like a testing device, but I really haven't used too much.
First the power connector broke, but I could use the OTG port so far. No it's too loose as well.

Check my very bad quality video: https://www.dropbox.com/s/o3bebyja73z0r ... 191009.3gp

The ports were not forced, the cable didn't bend them. I plugged in/out each ports like 20 times. Yet they are almost unusable now...

raphel

Postby raphel » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:03 pm

mine had the same problem...it's quite a mounth and half that i'm trying to find a solution with geekbuying but the only stupid solution they purpose me has been to buy another mx1 with a discount...to me is always the same chinese garbage: shitty item for shitty way to think and purpose...to me NEVER MORE CHINESE SHIT TO BUY!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil:

enviro8

Postby enviro8 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:32 pm

There is one solution to the fragile micro USB ports and that is to have an OTG USB 2.0 adapter permanently connected to each microUSB port.

These come as either a socket/plug combined or a socket connected to a plug by a short length of cable.

What is needed is a male microUSB to female standard USB connector.

Simply plug in and out of the standard female USB port instead of the micro USB port on the dongle.

EDIT: A better choice would be a micro USB male to mini USB female adapter converter. See picture at http://dx.com/p/micro-usb-male-to-mini- ... ngth-36150

as an example. We all have plenty of USB cables lying around that would suit.
Last edited by enviro8 on Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

szucsati

Postby szucsati » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:05 pm

I talked to Geekbuying and they told me to send back the device and they will send a replacement. But I'm worried that the replacement would be exactly the same quality.

Instead I bough replacement SMD micro USB connectors for 0.55$ each and now trying to find someone to replace the original ones. The ones I bough are a LOT better quality. Yet they were so cheap...

Return to “MX1”