Does the MK808 support touchscreen monitors?

MSmithATT

Does the MK808 support touchscreen monitors?

Postby MSmithATT » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:19 pm

Hey folks,

I've got the MK808 and I hooked it up to my Dell touchscreen monitor (ST2220T) via HDMI and USB. Screen looks great but the touchscreen input isn't working. Should it? Is there anything special I need to do to set it up? Or are touchscreen monitors just not supported?

Thanks

ioo

Re: Does the MK808 support touchscreen monitors?

Postby ioo » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:45 pm

You would have to build a module for the touch controller drivers.

Omegamoon

Postby Omegamoon » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:00 am

You need a kernel with this patch applied. You "just" need to backport it to v3.0.8 ;)
For updates please visit www.omegamoon.com
A big round of applause to yobikap for donating a MK808 and tonikasch for donating a MK808B!

If you like what I'm doing, consider a small donation by clicking the "Donate" button on my website

MSmithATT

Postby MSmithATT » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:05 am

Omegamoon wrote:You need a kernel with this patch applied. You "just" need to backport it to v3.0.8 ;)

lol...I'll take that as a friendly way of saying "Sorry, MK808 does not support touchscreen monitors, such as the Dell ST2220T"?

Omegamoon

Postby Omegamoon » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:10 am

MSmithATT wrote:
Omegamoon wrote:You need a kernel with this patch applied. You "just" need to backport it to v3.0.8 ;)

lol...I'll take that as a friendly way of saying "Sorry, MK808 does not support touchscreen monitors, such as the Dell ST2220T"?

It was meant to be friendly indeed :) Actually, I'll try to backport it for you. Would be a cool thing to have! Can't promise if it works and when it's ready though.
A big round of applause to yobikap for donating a MK808 and tonikasch for donating a MK808B!

If you like what I'm doing, consider a small donation by clicking the "Donate" button on my website

MSmithATT

Postby MSmithATT » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:24 am

Omegamoon wrote:
MSmithATT wrote:

It was meant to be friendly indeed :) Actually, I'll try to backport it for you. Would be a cool thing to have! Can't promise if it works and when it's ready though.

Really? You rock! Even if it doesn't work out, just for trying, thanks a lot!

govee

Postby govee » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:00 am

It was meant to be friendly indeed Actually, I'll try to backport it for you. Would be a cool thing to have! Can't promise if it works and when it's ready though.

I need it as well and have no building skills! I have been trying to find a build with touchsceen drivers. Seems odd...why not just get a tablet? right.... I have a pull out POS EL-1515 and want to make it a juke with the MK808.

Maxx57

Postby Maxx57 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:13 pm

I posted this in the Software and Apps section, but there's not much going on in that forum, so I'm posting it here, Hope it's the right place...
Main problem: I need help figuring out how to fix the linking problem when I add logic using double type values.
If I don't use double type values in the logic below, the code compiles and links and everything is fine except for the pointer being slightly off. If I add a calculation to the logic using a double type value, then I get a strange error in the compiler output that I don't understand. Please someone help!! I'll post the kernel once it's working for anyone with the Lilliput 669GL-70NP/C/T monitor from mp3car.com.
I added support for my 7 inch resistive touchscreen monitor by modifying the ~/android/kernel/rk3066-kernel/drivers/hid/hid_input.c file in the kernel at line at line 825. I added this code which compiles and runs, but the pointer is a little off when I move my finger to the top of the screen (which is about 4096 x 4096):

Code: Select all

if (usage->type == EV_ABS)
        {
                if (usage->hid == HID_GD_X) {
                        usage->code = 1;        // vs 0 (X becomes Y)
         value = 4296 - value;  //This reverses the X coordinate but is still a little off
                } else if (usage->hid == HID_GD_Y) {
                        usage->code = 0;        // vs 1 (Y becomes X)
                }
        }

So I thought, hey I can hack this and add a small percentage to "value" and it would then push the pointer up a little bit as my finger goes up the screen and that would make it be more exactly under my finger... So I added this thinking that I could do some double mathematics before forcing the value into the "__s32" (notice I'm multiplying value by 1.1 (which I thought was a double) before subtracting it from 4296):

if (usage->type == EV_ABS)
        {
                if (usage->hid == HID_GD_X) {
                        usage->code = 1;        // vs 0 (X becomes Y)
         value = 4296 - (value * 1.1);  //This reverses the X coordinate but is still a little off
                } else if (usage->hid == HID_GD_Y) {
                        usage->code = 0;        // vs 1 (Y becomes X)
                }
        }

However, when doing that I get the following error when attempting to compile:

Recompiling Kernel...
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Started: Tue Feb  5 05:59:49 MST 2013     HOST:Maxx60-VirtualBox
-------------------------------------------------------------------
changed directory to ~/android/kernel/rk3066-kernel...
ARCH=arm...
CROSS_COMPILE=~/android/kernel/toolchains/arm-eabi-linaro-4.6.2/bin/arm-eabi-...
make -j4
  CHK     include/linux/version.h
  CHK     include/generated/utsrelease.h
make[1]: `include/generated/mach-types.h' is up to date.
  CALL    scripts/checksyscalls.sh
  CHK     include/generated/compile.h
  CC      drivers/hid/hid-input.o
  LD      drivers/hid/hid-logitech.o
  LD      drivers/hid/hid.o
  LD      drivers/hid/built-in.o
  LD      drivers/built-in.o
  LD      vmlinux.o
  MODPOST vmlinux.o
  GEN     .version
  CHK     include/generated/compile.h
  UPD     include/generated/compile.h
  CC      init/version.o
  LD      init/built-in.o
  LD      .tmp_vmlinux1
drivers/built-in.o: In function `hidinput_hid_event':
clkdev.c:(.text+0x1667e0): undefined reference to `__aeabi_i2d'
clkdev.c:(.text+0x1667ec): undefined reference to `__aeabi_dmul'
clkdev.c:(.text+0x166800): undefined reference to `__aeabi_dsub'
clkdev.c:(.text+0x166804): undefined reference to `__aeabi_d2iz'
make: *** [.tmp_vmlinux1] Error 1

...and just so you know what I'm doing in my compile script, here it is:

#!/bin/bash
clear
echo "Recompiling Kernel..."
TODAY=$(date)
HOST=$(hostname)
echo "-------------------------------------------------------------------"
echo "Started: $TODAY     HOST:$HOST"
cd ~/android/kernel/rk3066-kernel
echo "changed directory to ~/android/kernel/rk3066-kernel..."
echo "ARCH=arm..."
export ARCH=arm
echo "CROSS_COMPILE=~/android/kernel/toolchains/arm-eabi-linaro-4.6.2/bin/arm-eabi-..."
export CROSS_COMPILE=~/android/kernel/toolchains/arm-eabi-linaro-4.6.2/bin/arm-eabi-
#echo "make clean"
#make clean
echo "make -j4"
make -j4
echo "make modules"
make modules
echo "copying images from ~/android/kernel/rk3066-kernel/arch/arm/boot/Image to ~/android/kernel/zImage/Image..."
cp ~/android/kernel/rk3066-kernel/arch/arm/boot/Image ~/android/kernel/zImage/Image
echo "changing directory: ~/android/kernel/zImage"
cd ~/android/kernel/zImage
echo "compressing/creating images: uncompressed_kernel.img, compressed_kernel.img"
./rkcrc -k Image uncompressed_kernel.img
./rkcrc -k zImage compressed_kernel.img
echo "...Done"
#echo "Attempting to copy uncompressed_kernel.img to //MAXX60/FinlessROM"
#df | grep -q /mnt/FinlessROM
#if test $? -ne 0 ; then
#mount /mnt/FinlessROM
#fi
#cp - r ~/android/kernel/zImage/uncompressed_kernel.img /mnt/FinlessROM
TODAY=$(date)
HOST=$(hostname)
echo "Completed: $TODAY     HOST:$HOST"

If you want, I can post a youtube video of the issue for you to see what I'm talking about. Please help!! I've been trying to figure out what that error means and why I cannot add "double" types to the logic. Thanks again in advance for anyone willing to help. If you want me to upload the working kernel.img I'll do that too. Again this is working for the LILIPUT 669 7 inch resistive touch screen HDMI display, but it's off just enough as to make it very hard to press the "apps" button in the top right corner of android.
Embedded Tinkerer.

Omegamoon

Postby Omegamoon » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:03 pm

Please have a look at my latest kernel release over here. This has build-in support for touchscreen monitors, as taken from the current linux 3.8 mainline. Since I don't own a touchscreen monitor myself I'm unable to test it, so please give it a try!

MSmithATT

Postby MSmithATT » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:58 am

So, lets say if I download the latest version of Ubuntu and on that, my Dell ST2220T Touchscreen monitor worked, could I then grab it's kernel source and follow the instructions at: http://rootzwiki.com/topic/8824-howto-c ... rnel-v-01/ to compile it, could I then use that to update the kernel on my MK808 and the monitor should work? Is that the general approach?

Thanks

Maxx57

Postby Maxx57 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:07 am

Omegamoon wrote:Please have a look at my latest kernel release over here. This has build-in support for touchscreen monitors, as taken from the current linux 3.8 mainline. Since I don't own a touchscreen monitor myself I'm unable to test it, so please give it a try!

I tried your 720p HDMI kernel and it does not support the touch screen at all and the display is still way too small to use via my 7 inch resistive touchscreen monitor. I'll attempt to get your sources and build it for my UG802. We'll see how it works after that. I may just need to buy a MK808B and try it out. Thanks for your reply. I didn't see it until now.
Embedded Tinkerer.

pauleley

Postby pauleley » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:34 pm

Any luck Maxx57 with the kernel. As i have a Lilliput 669GL-70NP/C/T monitor + Mk808. And would love to have the Touchscreen working.
Thanks

FeloniusMonkey

Postby FeloniusMonkey » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:54 am

Omegamoon wrote:Please have a look at my latest kernel release over here. This has build-in support for touchscreen monitors, as taken from the current linux 3.8 mainline. Since I don't own a touchscreen monitor myself I'm unable to test it, so please give it a try!

I have a Pioneer AppRadio 2 (SPH-DA100), which is a car head unit with a touchscreen that uses an Android phone to "drive" it. I use the ARLiberator software to "mirror" my phone to the head unit, which connects to the phone via HDMI and bluetooth. I assume the touchscreen controls are communicated from the head unit to the phone via bluetooth.

Now to the question: I would like to use an MK808B in place of my phone. Do you think your kernel will support touchscreen over bluetooth, since there's no possible USB connection between the head unit and the device?

Maxx57

Postby Maxx57 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:00 am

pauleley wrote:Any luck Maxx57 with the kernel. As i have a Lilliput 669GL-70NP/C/T monitor + Mk808. And would love to have the Touchscreen working.

Yes. I think I just got it working tonight. I had to scale up the whole calculation to multiply only by integers, then divide by the same amount that I scaled it up. Let me know if you want it to try out the kernel.
Embedded Tinkerer.

Return to “MK808”