possibly faulty device

Prettygrim

possibly faulty device

Postby Prettygrim » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:07 am

new here guys, so first thing is to say hi to all. 2nd thing is to say i am a complete dunce with this stuff, so please be gentle, haha
anyway, just got a MK808. as far as i know it is not the MK808B but cant check. that is because when i connect the thing up and boot it, i get flickering all the way to the 'desktop' screen. the screen then flashes off and on a few times, then the screen goes black. only choice is to reboot but the same process repeats. i guess the dongle is faulty but would welcome any opinions or advice

audiobore

Re: possibly faulty device

Postby audiobore » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:22 am

Hi and welcome. If you look around the forum you will see most people have similar startup issues and it is down to the 1A power supply provided with the device. You can check this by hooking the power cord up to a laptop USB port (to power only, connect to tv as normal) and see if it boots ok. Normally replacing the supply with a 5V 2A one will do the job. I purchased mine for around 6 UK pounds ($10).

Good Luck!

Prettygrim

Postby Prettygrim » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:14 am

hi. tnx for reply. the info on the supplied power supply is:

AC/DC ADAPTER
MODEL: YSD-023
INPUT: 100-240V
~50/60Hz
250mA
OUTPUT: 5V = 2A (NOT AN EQUALS SIGN HERE BUT CANT FIND CORRECT ONE TO USE)

friend has mk808b from different supplier. tried his power supply and cables, same result. not a problem to replace power supply but wondering if it is indeed the issue. any further thoughts would be welcome

Gottfried

Postby Gottfried » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:46 am

Standard disclaimer.

I concur with Audiobore about powering from PC. Starting condition MK808 no connections, Plug in HDMI to display. Place USB cable mini USB plug in OTG port. Place other end of USB cable in powered USB port on PC. Blue light in small hole in back of MK808 should come on system should boot to JellyBean.

If the above does not boot. HDMI to TV. No connection to OTG port. Power to power port. Boot system. It should boot from here, into JellyBean and be at minimum load. If system does not boot turn off MK808. If you have a powered hub place it in the USB port, not the OTG. This will back feed power to the MK808 buss. Turn on power to hub. System should boot to JellyBean. This has checked power through all three possible ports to power MK 808 with enough power to boot it. Please post results.

Gottfried

Prettygrim

Postby Prettygrim » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:44 pm

sorry for delay in responding, guys. in process of getting the item changed, so cant do much atm. the main reason being, if i cock anything else up, may be problematic. gonna wait and see what seller wants to do.

one thing i find a bit annoying is when you buy something that is advertised as doing a particular job, when you find it doesn't, you shouldn't have to mess with it to get it to do that. changing things to make it work more to your liking is very different. after all, you buy a car, you dont have to rebuild the engine to be able to drive it. you want it to go faster, then you change something.

Gottfried

Postby Gottfried » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:05 pm

By design it is a TV stick. We are using it as a full computer, which is not the intent of the original design. As long as all peripherals are powered externally it is not a bad devise. Powering peripherals externally also back feeds the MK808 buss which helps cover any power deficencies. When Picuntu gets up, you will see how much of a computer you have. In the end I could be running two 7 port powered USB hubs. I am running one now. On that one I have, Wireless mouse/keyboard, wired ethernet, and audio out. With Picuntu I will have another USB stick. Actually I will probably put Picuntu and data sticks on the second hub, which will be through the OTG port. That should spread the USB load.

This little stick is a precursor of what ARM can and will do. One of the smart phone manufacturers, already has in the works an eight core processor. I figure in the next couple of years these sticks will advance rather rapidly. If this stick is replaced in six months by a much better stick I think it will only be the normal course of things. The MK808 and its ilk are just a starting point.

Gottfried

Prettygrim

Postby Prettygrim » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:57 pm

tnx for further reply, Gottfried. i am sure you are right and things will only get better. unfortunately, atm, i think there are still too many issues. as i said above, i dont think it's right that the thing doesn't work off the bat. i also dont think that the knowledgeable people here and on toher forums should be wasting their time making it work. making it do other things, i agree is a good thing. anyway, i think the best bet for me atm is to return it. it isn't performing how it was advertised and as a newbie to this stuff, dont have the brain power to correct it. maybe in a few months time, i'll try again. tnx to both of you who replied to my please for help. sorry i wasted your time. it was not my intention

changing subject a bit, i have been reading about the latest MK802lllS. out of curiosity, what are the main differences between this and the MK808? the specs appeared to me to be the same, so what did i miss?

Return to “MK808”