HDD on MK808

toteto

HDD on MK808

Postby toteto » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:48 pm

I was searching on the internet to get a new media player since my old (LaCie Cinema) failed from power surge. I first looked to build small HTPC, but it was getting expensive and quite big for my room. Then i was going to order Raspberry Pi but somehow i ended up browsing Android media players. Looking at the specs they amazed me, most of them have 1GHz processor. But this one has 1.2GHz dual-core.

The point of the topic is to ask you who already have it some questions. Mainly i am going to use it as media player, sometimes like web browser and when i am bored little gaming. But since my main use will be as media player, 32GB of sd/usb flash drive won't be enough. I have one 500GB 3.5" internal sata HDD from my old media player, so using an enclosure can i hook it up to MK808? On most of the sites selling this says that is supports 1TB~4TB external storage, does this mean the minimum is 1TB and the maximum is 4TB? If so, will 1TB 3.5" powered HDD work, will 1GB 2.5" usb-powered HDD work?

Also since i will be using it for web browsing, i would like to connect keyboard and mouse set on 2.4GHz with usb dongle. But i want in same time to be able to access the usb external HDD that i will connect.

I have read some bugs that you have, and most of you reported that your TV wont recognize the resolution, i have Panasonic 42" 1080p plasma, so did someone had issues with Panasonic tv?

I tried asking the seller, but he redirected me to this forum.

smithmal

Re: HDD on MK808

Postby smithmal » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:56 pm

toteto,

You'd probably be better off with a set-top device rather than a stick if you're interested in HDDs. They are not too much more and they generally have better overall specs as they don't need to fit into a small "Android on a Stick" type footprint.

Below are some models that might interest you:

G-Box Midnight - http://androidtvbox.us/portfolio-item/g-box-midnight/
ATV-4000 - Price link: http://newgeniatech.diytrade.com/sdp/1738847/4/pd-6470660/10356759.html
Video link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4DnyVT2ZfM

smithmal

Biont

Postby Biont » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:36 pm

I don't know how much it helps, but I do have a powered 1 TB HDD working along with mouse and keyboard on my MK808. There does not seem to be any issue using it. I even set up an ftp server so I can access the HDD from other computers.

toteto

Postby toteto » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:09 pm

smithmal wrote:toteto,

You'd probably be better off with a set-top device rather than a stick if you're interested in HDDs. They are not too much more and they generally have better overall specs as they don't need to fit into a small "Android on a Stick" type footprint.

Below are some models that might interest you:

G-Box Midnight - http://androidtvbox.us/portfolio-item/g-box-midnight/
ATV-4000 - Price link: http://newgeniatech.diytrade.com/sdp/1738847/4/pd-6470660/10356759.html
Video link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4DnyVT2ZfM

smithmal

Thanks smithmal for the suggestions. I like the feature of ATV-4000 that i can just insert my old HDD. But isn't Dual core 1,6GHz (MK808) more powerful then this single core 1GHz? On the same site i found ATV-1200 with Dual core 1,5GHz, but it does't have slot for 3.5" HDD. As i mentioned i will do some "gaming" on it, will i be able to play mid-quality titles on the single core as well as the dual core (both for ATV1200, and MK808).

Also i couldn't find to buy it, except ebay where it is 170$, way out of my price range.

smithmal

Postby smithmal » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:39 pm

toteo,

Actually the ATV-4000 is suppossed to have a Amlogic 8726-MX in it (according to that video review posted above anyway), however I have yet to see it available on the mass market. According to that pricing link, the amount for the group buy is between $70-$80 which puts it in range of the Android on a stick. That's pretty decent as it also comes with more inputs/outputs and a ethernet port (not to mention you being able to drop in your own HD). The problem is, that I can't find it anywhere. The other problem is that it's made from China, so you've got no idea how well the firmware supports the hardware (if experience is anything, I would think the answer would be "not well").

A similar product, which is currently available is found below:
http://www.asiapads.com/product_info.php?cPath=190&products_id=2270

But pricing is about $100 more. Still pretty good for a decent media center. The only thing it doesn't have is a tv tuner which would be needed to make it a complete media center box. In terms of building your own HTPC, your be looking at $250-$300 for a decent MB, HD, OS, Box, RAM, etc.

In terms of gaming, you're not going to be able to game with any of these products as all android gaming relies on a touch screen. In terms of cost, these "android on a stick" units are a GREAT BUY, if the firmware works. So far that's been proven to not be the case. Hopefully since Amlogic has already released kernal information for the 8726, the community will take over this responsibility and make these sticks really purr.

smithmal

toteto

Postby toteto » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:58 am

Thanks for the suggestions man.

I asked on few sites what is the sample price for ATV-4000 but no response yet. I just don't understand, Chinese have the brains, the people, the factories, the money... but still they make shit cheap products, but for a bit more ingenuity they can make way better products in the same price rage that they are doing now. Just look the the manufacturing prices of Apple products, the cost of making them is half from what they are selling them to us. And not to mention that 90% of the electronic components are made in China. They have covered every single step from manufacturing to assembling, they only need to work on designing their next product.

Yea i am not up to risking 150$ for a product that may not even work, and maybe worse not even come. If i would want media player that bad, i would probably go with some WD TV or some other popular player. But when i am going with 150$ am am going to add 50$ and build myself decent PC. I have already HDD, maybe install some free OS on it so that will put me right on 200$. Maybe i spend 50$ more, but i got the power, the reliability that most of the components will work, and most important i have 3 years warranty on most of the components.

So you say that the future of MK808 and UG802 is looking bright? If so, how long will it take the community before they fix more important bugs?

smithmal

Postby smithmal » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:22 pm

Totally agree on all counts except maybe the "brains." The Chinese are masters at backwards compatibility which is why they can spit out semi-competant hardware, but if it wasn't pre-built for them to copy, then what they tend to lack is the ingenuity on the software/firmware side. QC is a big deal with your big box electronic brands as word of mouth for releasing alpha/beta builds can really do damage to a brand. For some reason this is not apparant to many of these Chinese off-brand companies. Many times they misrepresent their products abilities (i.e. "N" wireless ability with MK808) and don't seem to give two sh!%$ about how much this pisses off their consumers.

To me, that was why the Google Nexus was such a big deal as it totally changed the pricing structure for good quality, well QC'd, top of line tablet hardware trumping the Chinese's only "Ace" (cost). Capitolism at it's best I say and I commend Google for pricing such a product so far under the current technologies price structure.

Now I shall step off my "Chinese off-brand products frustrate me" soap box.

In terms of your question as to how quickly the community could mod this that depends on if devs buy into the product and feel passionate about optimizing it. I know the G-Box products already have quite a following on AVSforum. Hopefully the MK808 will spark of similar interest on the XDA developer site (which is where most of the "evil genius" devs hang out).

smithmal

ps - another good option for you might be below. It's developers are the same guys that made XBMC so you know that should run pretty well on it. I don't have any experience with it, but it's in your price range and worth the look:

http://www.amazon.com/Media-Center-Gigabit-Network-Reader/dp/B005M1QP7O/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1349889524&sr=8-2&keywords=pivos+technology+group+inc

Also there's a $30 rebate good until 10/31/12 for this unit making it $60 with free shipping. Pretty slick.. I may even take a bite on this myself: http://pivos.myonlinerebate.com/

moyse007

Postby moyse007 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:40 pm

Biont wrote:I don't know how much it helps, but I do have a powered 1 TB HDD working along with mouse and keyboard on my MK808. There does not seem to be any issue using it. I even set up an ftp server so I can access the HDD from other computers.

Which software do you use to share your files on other computers through ftp from HDD please?

Return to “MK808”