Ubuntu MATE 14.10 x64 livecd! Hybrid Test 17.

deadhp1

Ubuntu MATE 14.10 x64 livecd! Hybrid Test 17.

Postby deadhp1 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:51 pm

I've spent the last couple of days hacking together an Ubuntu MATE 14.10 x64 livecd for the Meegopad-T01. It should also boot on other baytrail systems.
Unless you are an advanced user I do not recommend installing this yet. It can install and boot the Meegopad-t01, but I recommend waiting a bit until the livecd is a bit less hacked. Specifically there are some patches and packages that should be built to eliminate my hacks.(see Steve's blog at: http://blog.einval.com/2015/01/11#Jessie-EFI_5 )

This is a test iso. Specifically this is the 17th test iso I've built for this project. Use at your own risk!!!
I am not responsible if you trash your system, delete windows, or anything else!

Details:
-Used the amazing Systemback software to turn a backup of my filesystem into a livecd.
-Install Ubuntu using Systemback instead of ubiquity.
-added rtl8723bs wifi driver to livecd
-added rtl8723bs source code to /extras
-added gparted, Chrome, gedit, and XBMC
-updated with latest ubuntu updates as of Jan. 18 2015

What is Not Working:
-Audio
-Bluetooth
-Persistence in livecd. It could be as simple as adding a casper-rw file and the line "persistent" to menu entry the grub.cfg. I just haven't tested adding it yet.

What is Working:
-Wifi
-accelerated video playback in XBMC
-livecd environment with install option

Key Notes:
-"Burn" this to a usb drive using Unetbootin or Rufus, just like a normal livecd.
-Insert flash drive to Meegopad-T01, turn it on, and press the F7 key before windows loads to get to the boot select screen.
-livecd password is "baytrail", the same as the username.
-Systemback installer defaults to format a partition when selected for install. If installing do NOT format your efi partition(on meegopad-t01 /dev/mmcblk0p1). You will lose your ability to boot if you do. Make sure to uncheck the format box.
-If installing to dual boot with windows, use gparted to shrink the windows partition, then reboot into windows and allow it do it's error checking before booting back into the livecd and starting the installation.
-There are some issues with grub-install and the way it wants to work with usb drive installations. Still testing this.

Download from my google drive:
iso: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2J_Nq ... sp=sharing
md5: 6338e7cabacc0beac3525032b7c5c045

Download from mediafire:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/ss0yl ... est_17.iso
md5: 6338e7cabacc0beac3525032b7c5c045

Want to shrink Windows and Install this on your Meegopad-T01? Watch This!
It took me under 10 minutes to install from this livecd.

Make sure you have enough free space to shrink your windows partition. After using gparted I recommend booting into windows and restarting before booting the livecd again. This way windows gets a chance to repair the drive.
When installing do NOT format your efi partition(/dev/mmcblk0p1) when setting it to /boot/efi/.

athos56

Re: Ubuntu MATE 14.10 x64 livecd! Hybrid Test 17.

Postby athos56 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:37 pm

Arg this thing is so frustrating, after I select to boot the Livecd from the Grub launcher it just goes dark and sits there.

leadermontanus

Postby leadermontanus » Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:33 pm

Thanks a lot for this ISO, it worked out of the box on the Guleek i8 (http://www.guleek.com/3c/eacp_view.asp?id=94). Wifi worked fine, running from the Live USB was very snappy, even creating a 1000 page LibreOffice document did not slow it down...

Audio, as stated, did not work, did not test Bluetooth, but very nice work indeed.

It felt very stable, but will wait to install until it's updated as suggested.

Keep up the good work, really appreciate it!

A

deadhp1

Postby deadhp1 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:31 pm

Nice! I've been trying to get a hold of some new hardware to test it on so that's really cool.
I want to grab a Pipo X7, Minix Z64, and the Voyo Mini PC to test it on too.

I'm not sure how the livecd handles the battery on the Guleak i8.

I've been making progress with the audio. I patched together a 3.17 kernel that could recognized the audio card, but that it so far.
I here there have been a lot of patches to the 3.19 kernel so I'm switching over to that and go from there.

I've also got a livecd built for linux mint 17 and ubuntu 15.04. Linux Mint 17 works just as well as the current ubuntu mate 14.10 livecd, but I want to wait until audio works to release it. The ubuntu 15.04 livecd is not working well. There are lots of crashes right now, but it should get better when it's officially released.

texasguy

Postby texasguy » Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:25 pm

Is there a way to remove Windows totally? I am not paying for the key, makes no sense for me to have it just take the space. I'd rather have a totally dedicated Ubuntu machine.

I am not sure what partitions to remove without totally breaking the boot.

leadermontanus

Postby leadermontanus » Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:42 pm

deadhp1 wrote:
I'm not sure how the livecd handles the battery on the Guleak i8.

Brief test running on battery seems to indicate it doesn't do much... It is always 100%, the ID is 123456789, and hibernate did not work, but it keeps running until there's no more juice. No big deal for me, other's might feel differently...

deadhp1 wrote:I've been making progress with the audio. I patched together a 3.17 kernel that could recognized the audio card, but that it so far.
I here there have been a lot of patches to the 3.19 kernel so I'm switching over to that and go from there.

I've also got a livecd built for linux mint 17 and ubuntu 15.04. Linux Mint 17 works just as well as the current ubuntu mate 14.10 livecd, but I want to wait until audio works to release it. The ubuntu 15.04 livecd is not working well. There are lots of crashes right now, but it should get better when it's officially released.

Looking forward to testing the audio version! Keep up the good work.

A

deadhp1

Postby deadhp1 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:50 pm

texasguy wrote:Is there a way to remove Windows totally? I am not paying for the key, makes no sense for me to have it just take the space. I'd rather have a totally dedicated Ubuntu machine.

I am not sure what partitions to remove without totally breaking the boot.

If you we're planning on removing windows totally I would still keep the efi partition, but I'm a little over cautious. You can delete all the partitions, but you'll have to recreate an efi partition or you'll only be able to boot from usb.

leadermontanus wrote:Brief test running on battery seems to indicate it doesn't do much... It is always 100%, the ID is 123456789, and hibernate did not work, but it keeps running until there's no more juice. No big deal for me, other's might feel differently...

You may want to look at some of the kernel patches that can be applied for the asus t100. That's what I'd do if I had a guleek i8.
Their google+ group is located here: https://plus.google.com/communities/117 ... 4346186936

I'm making some progress with the audio. Details to come soon!

attila16881

Postby attila16881 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:56 pm

tnx for the ubuntu mate image, the systemback utility works much better than the standard ubuntu installer with this system.

I have tried to install to microSD to avoid changing/touching the NAND flash while testing.

I did an interesting discovery about the UEFI BIOS which seems lacking a full support to boot from SD Card.

I can install the full system to SD Card but the EFI boot manager, even if it detects the EFI Partition on SD, it won't boot.
It looks like a bug in the UEFI to me (which is not the only one considering the weird scrolling issues on grub and later on the terminal).

I managed to get the system booting to SD only if I install the EFI partition in a USB stick (while keeping the root FS on SD).

I agree with you that we should be able to get a better support with a newer kernel.

I will try to install the latest vivid kernel on the installed image and check if it may improve the compatibility.

rufusonfire

Postby rufusonfire » Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:45 pm

Hi!

I was wondering if any work had been done on this recently?
I just ordered a Meegopad T02 and really want to run Ubuntu Mate.

The current Ubuntu Mate is 15.04, do you foresee any issues if I try flashing the stock ISO to a bootable USB and just going for it?

Return to “Development”