How to root the ZP980+ and install CWM

Zopo has upgraded the original ZP980 to the MTK6592 8-core soc.
It also features a 5" FHD display, 1GB of RAM, and 16GB of flash
deadhp1

How to root the ZP980+ and install CWM

Postby deadhp1 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:49 pm

First of let me start by saying I am not responsible for anything that happens to your phone!

Rooting the ZP980+ is a little bit of a pain. It requires that a patched boot.img and a cwm recovery.img be flashed.
Since flashing is already required I have created a properly rooted mostly stock firmware that makes it easy.
viewtopic.php?f=553&t=73930

For those that want the process I followed keep on reading...I've broken it up into sections.

Section 1: Obtaining root shell and installing CWM.

I tried several rooting programs with no success. Eventually I figured that boot.img needed to be patched to allow root shell access over adb.
You'll need adb drivers, SP Flash Tool, and MT65xx Preloader drivers installed. I have covered installing MT65xx drivers in another flashing guide.
viewtopic.php?f=215&t=1887

1) Download and Extract MTKDroidTools v2.53
MtkDroidTools_v253.exe

2)Download and extract the unmodified stock ZP980+ firmware:
http://adf.ly/ces2l
or
[url]blog.geekbuying.com/index.php/2014/01/11/octa-core-mtk6592-zopo-zp980-stock-firmware-released-from-geekbuying/
[/url]
3) Download and install ADB drivers. I use Moborobo for ease of setup, but PDAnet or other drivers may work just fine.
MoboroboSetup_V2.0.2.290.exe

4)Turn on your ZP980+ and go into Settings---> Development.
5)Turn on USB Debugging.
6)Connect the ZP980+ to your PC using the micro-usb cable.
7)MoboRobo will detect and install the ADB drivers for you.
8)copy boot.img and recovery.img from the stock rom into a new folder.
9)Launch MTKDroidTools
mtkdroidtools_1.JPG

Wait just a little bit and it will pickup the ZP980+ info
mtkdroidtools_2.JPG

10)Click on the tab "root, backup, recovery and follow instructions in pic.
mtkdroidtools_5.jpg

11)If MTKDroidTools finished successfully you will have a patched boot.img and a cwm recovery.img in the MTKDroidTools/recovery directory.
or just download them from here
modded_boot_recovery_zp980_plus.rar

12)In the stock firmware folder rename boot.img and recovery.img to old_boot.img and old_recovery.img
13)Copy the patched boot.img, cwm recovery.img and rename them to boot.img and recovery.img if needed.
replace_boot_recov.JPG

14)Unplug ZP980+, Turn off, and Remove Battery
15)Download and extract SP_Flash_Tool_v5.1343.01.zip(This version has a slightly different UI than others, but it was the only one that worked for me)
SP_Flash_Tool_v5.1343.01.zip

16)Assuming you've already installed the MT65xx Preloader drivers from above guide, Launch SP_Flash_Tool_v5.1343.01 by right clicking flash_tool.exe and choosing run as administrator.
flash_tool_1.JPG

17)Load Scatter-File from stock firmware folder
flash_tool_3.JPG

18)Make sure that ONLY "BOOTIMG" and "RECOVERY" are checked. Uncheck everything else in the list.
boot_recovery_flash1.JPG

19)Click the "Download" button and plug the ZP980+ into your computer using the micro-usb cable.
SP Flash Tool should detect your phone, the bottom bar will go Red, then Yellow as it flashes.
If you are successful you will see this
dl_ok.JPG

20)It is now safe to unplug your phone, reassemble, and turn on.

21)Now that we have installed CWM recovery and a patched boot.img we have root shell available over adb.

Section 2: Rooting
1)Attach (booted) ZP980+ to computer using micro-usb cable
2)Download CWM-SuperSU-v0.94.zip and copy to /sdcard directory on your phone
CWM-SuperSU-v0.94.zip

3)While ZP980+ is still attached launch MTKDroidTools.
4)After it loads click on the button "Reboot" located in the lower right corner, and choose into recovery.
mtkdroidtools_4.JPG

5)Your ZP980+ should reboot into CWM recovery.
Use the volume buttons to navigate up or down. The power button is the enter key for the selected item.
6)Select "Install zip from sdcard" and enter.
7)Select "choose zip from sdcard" or "choose zip from internal sdcard" depending on where you put CWM-SuperSU-v0.94.zip.
8)Select CWM-SuperSU-v0.94.zip and enter.
9)Select "Yes- Install CWM-SuperSU-v0.94.zip"
10)After install successful go back to main menu, select "Reboot system now" and enter.

You should be rooted now. Download root check from market to check.
Also download MobileUncle Tool from market to enable easy rebooting into recovery mode.(normal key combos don't work)

I did run into a problem when rooting my ZP980+. I'm not sure what caused it, but somehow on my previous attempts "/system" would not mount rw. Probably caused by other root programs I had tried.
So I had partial root. I wracked my brain for a bit and eventually discovered that my system partition had errors and that's why it was read-only.
To fix this I booted into CWM recovery, made a full backup, formatted "system", then advance restored "system" from my backup.
After rebooting I could now remount /system as rw!

If all this seems like too much work, then I highly recommend flashing the full rooted firmware from the link I posted at the top.
As usual leave Preloader unchecked in SP Flash Tools.(I do NOT like flashing this file as it can cause a brick if it fails, or if used on wrong phone).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

giedol

Re: How to root the ZP980+ and install CWM

Postby giedol » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:36 pm

I did everything according to instructions, and now I have root rights, but I see double icon SuperSu. SuperSu installed twice? How to uninstall one of them?

deadhp1

Postby deadhp1 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:15 pm

SuperSu should only be installed once. Check and make sure you haven't downloaded it from the Play Store.
If it is installed twice in /system/apps/ then you'll need to use either Root Explorer, or Es File Explorer to mount /system as RW and delete one of them.

giedol

Postby giedol » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:35 pm

I checked /system/app - there is only one SuperSu.
But on the screen I see that:

What can I do?

deadhp1

Postby deadhp1 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:37 pm

It may be named something else in /system/apps.
If you can list the files in that directory I might be able to pick it out of the crowd.

You may also be able to uninstall it from Settings--->Apps

Other than that the only recommendation I have is to flash ONLY the system.img from the properly rooted firmware I posted.
(Just check to make sure it's the same version as yours first!)

deadhp1

Postby deadhp1 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:06 am

For anyone experiencing two SuperSU icons here is the solution:

1)Launch SuperSU
2)Click on Settings
3)Scroll down to the SYSTEM section and click on Install SuperSU into /system

The reason why there are double SuperSU icons has to do with Play Store downloading an update for SuperSU.

giedol

Postby giedol » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:11 am

Thanks, but I don't know why, when I restart phone the double icon are gone - I have only one. I did nothing. Now is OK.

nissy34

Postby nissy34 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:29 pm

Thanks
I have a phone of zopo Model 980 + with 2 GB RAM and 16 GB rom and with the same CPU MTK6592 Cortex A7 Octa core CPU, 1.7GHz
Can I use the guide published in this post to give permissions to root this device?
or This device or process different?

Here's the link for details of the phone
http://www.zopomobileshop.com/en/124-zo ... phone.html

Thank you for your answer :D

Return to “Zopo ZP980+”