GK802 + Linaro 12.04 + Motorola Lapdock

kaiyoti

GK802 + Linaro 12.04 + Motorola Lapdock

Postby kaiyoti » Thu May 23, 2013 1:57 am

Just wanted to let everyone know that I've managed to get the GK802 to work with Lapdock independently of external power sources, although getting it to boot from the lapdock by itself is still a bit gimmicky, but it works without any cable modding.

Note, I'm not very savvy in hardware so everything here are just from observations, if there's something that I'm mislead, please let me know :)

To start off, I noticed that the USB A port on the GK802 can "sustain" the device given adequate amount of power. To make this short, I used a USB Y Cable (the ones that have extra cable to supply extra power). I plugged the power port into the lapdock USB A output, plugged the attached end to the micro usb (SLAVE) from the lapdock, then plugged the other end to the USB A port of the GK802. However, this by itself was not able to "boot" the device, the GK802 still needed to be booted up from another source. You can use the second USB A (HOST) port from the lapdock to start the GK802, as soon as the device boots up, you can unplug it and use that final port for a usb hub for peripherals.

I was not able to find proper cables for this setup so it involves various adapters to get the right connections going. This was tested with jas' image of linaro 12.05 linux, so I'm not sure if it will work for the Android OS, but theoreticaly it should work, getting the right resolution might be a different story though.

Hope this help anyone else trying to get the same setup.

Paul

kaiyoti

Re: GK802 + Linaro 12.04 + Motorola Lapdock

Postby kaiyoti » Thu May 23, 2013 3:27 pm

This is what it looks like:

My gk802 device has a 5v fan wired to usb + heatsink that I ripped out of old motherboard's NB heatsink. The fan blows sideways with open sides so it blows through the heatsink.

As you can see with the various adapters, the cables are extremely long, so I'm going to do some cutting and rewiring to shorten the whole setup so I can use velcro to sticky the setup on the back of the screen on the lapdock.

Return to “Hardware Mods”