GK802 Reset button broke? (FIXXED)

vibaspc

GK802 Reset button broke? (FIXXED)

Postby vibaspc » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:58 am

Heya, yesterday i finely got my GK802 mini pc:) i was happy, everything work fine, so i want to upgrade the firmware, i did everything the said on the geek site where i buy this GK802. I use the paperclip to do this, and never push hard on it, and now it's totally broke the reset button, after i open the GK802 i see this inside:
I got allot of android mini pc's that i upgrade but this? i never had this before!. now my question is how to upgrade my GK802 to newer firmware? if not!, can i return this to the factory, so i think it's a weak point on the GK802!

Please help me with my questions!

Regards,
Vibaspc
Last edited by vibaspc on Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

korpenkraxar

Re: GK802 Reset button broke?

Postby korpenkraxar » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:32 am

I agree the boot-to-recovery button is very poor. I noticed that mine shifted position a bit when I tried pushing it on the GK802 so that the paperclip wasn't even in contact with it.

That said, since the board's storage memory is just a micro-SD card I suppose we can just as well write full disk images directly to the card when connected to a PC, instead of going the recovery route, no? I mean there is no "radio" firmware stuff that needs to be upgraded as on the phones.

In any case, it would be very nice to have the extended software restart menu enabled on the GK802 so that one could reboot and reboot to recovery easy if needed.

vibaspc

Re: GK802 Reset button broke?

Postby vibaspc » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:41 am

Juuup fix the problem, i drill a new small hole upside the metal case, and now its working again;)

See screenshot:)

blarneyrabble

Re: GK802 Reset button broke? (FIXXED)

Postby blarneyrabble » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:06 pm

Same thing happened to me. I just dd'ed the update to the internal sd card. I did, however, almost tear off the heat sink upon putting it back together. It seems stuck back there ok, although I may someday have to try the heat sink mod.

carlosg

Postby carlosg » Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:57 am

The same thing happened to me. I swear I didn't poke it too hard. Honestly, I just touched the button with a paperclip and the top fell off like in the photo in the opening post.

I replaced mine with another surface mount switch.

son

Postby son » Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:09 pm

same for me! But I lost also the rubber and the aluminium pad... now my cousin is working on a HW-Mod, like yours with the hole and a special reset pen or so... I'll wait and be surprised ;)

igroupaccount

Postby igroupaccount » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:37 pm

Hello everyone,

Same happened to me, with the exception that that piece of ....silicon?...it's also gone. So, I have 3 contacts (left, middle, right) that probably I need to short out to get into recovery mode. Not sure what or how, tried a few times, no luck.

The only way to get into the recovery is to reset to default. That works and doesn't. Looks like I am going into recovery, but the firmware on the new SD is not loaded.
One other step will be to use something like ..... toolbox apk. Well, I just figure out since I can't download it thru Google Play I will get it on my other android toy and put it on the external SD. I did, but seems not that the GK802 does not read or see my external micro SD. What the heck?

The only thing left is to get the Original SD (hdd) out, to use a new one that will be loaded with some new micro-sd image from deathph1 and put it inside. Lot of work and from what I am reading is that stuff did not work and actually did worse, since the original sd didn't boot anymore either.

I am not happy with this so far. Sounds like great performance but very poor firmware. Youtube has benchmarks that will make you think ... what the heck?

Since I have it, I will return it back for repairs and see what will happen.

Good luck to you all!

Return to “Hardware Mods”