FULL micro-sd images

AgentPayne

Re: FULL micro-sd images

Postby AgentPayne » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:14 pm

guydroid208,

dd if=/dev/sdb9 of=<directory you want to backup to>/sdb9.img

It doesn't matter that it's an unknown partition type, dd works at the block level below and doesn't care. I used it this morning, under an Ubuntu Live disc, to image partitions 5-9 and successfully restored the images to new partitions created in a larger extended partition.

In my case I'm using a 32GB Micro SD card and wanted a 4GB apps partition. I tried moving partition 4 and expanding partition 3 into the freed up space but gparted/fdisk gave a 'cannot satisfy all constraints error.' So I imaged the logical partitions (5-9) deleted them and the extended partition. Then created a new extended partition using all the space and logical partitions 5-9, with 7 being 4GB instead of 1GB, dd'ed the images back, then used extend2fs* on partition 7.

The unit boots and is behaving normally. It shows 4GB of internal storage so I *think* everything is working correctly.

(*extend2fs told me to run efsck on partition 7 first so I did. I also ran it on partitions 5,6 and 8 for good measure.)

Scarecrow_AU

Postby Scarecrow_AU » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:05 pm

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to post my experience. Bit of a noob, so took me a bit of fiddling, but eventually got there.
In stock version the stick was quite good and i had a nice XBMC set-up happening. Always wanting to tinker loaded up the full rooted ROM.

Big thank you to DeadHP for all your work. It is great to have someone devote their time and energies to creating images and assisting others.

Have not had a massive amount of time with the new system as yet, so far only issues i have found and wondering if others are the same:

* keyboard / mouse combo seems to 'drop off' every now and again. using airmouse or other combos - same thing
* chrome (which was not available to me in previous rom / store) does not work properley, has big black shard through it...weird

Thanks again - one of the tricky / stupid things for me was unmounting the partitions in live ubuntu to be able to extend in gparted

s.hio

Postby s.hio » Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:16 am

I have a big problem with this images. At most any of them starts to the OS. Some of them, 1.65.4 and the gk802_12_13_2012.zip goes to reset or update menu, but i doesn't reboot or update or start the OS.
What could be the problem?

It looks like it would like to start but reboots after 1 or 2 seconds, the monitor wants to start but goes into save blank mode again and again. Couldn't get started.

magimog

Postby magimog » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:26 pm

s.hio wrote:I have a big problem with this images. At most any of them starts to the OS. Some of them, 1.65.4 and the gk802_12_13_2012.zip goes to reset or update menu, but i doesn't reboot or update or start the OS.

It looks like it would like to start but reboots after 1 or 2 seconds, the monitor wants to start but goes into save blank mode again and again. Couldn't get started.

How far are you getting in the boot process? Are you getting the the penguins in the upper left corner, or farther like the android boot logo or even the "desktop"?

s.hio

Postby s.hio » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:31 am

magimog wrote:
s.hio wrote:I have a big problem with this images. At most any of them starts to the OS. Some of them, 1.65.4 and the gk802_12_13_2012.zip goes to reset or update menu, but i doesn't reboot or update or start the OS.

How far are you getting in the boot process? Are you getting the the penguins in the upper left corner, or farther like the android boot logo or even the "desktop"?

I was able only once to get to the main "desktop" but it was running extremly slow like slow motion. In other cases I don't get any penguins or logo only the light on the monitor is switching on and off (off whe is signal on it and on when is no signal on it).
But I'm able to get to the boot menu (update, reboot and all other stuff, but when I try to reboot the screen goes off and nothings come on. So I can't return the GK802 to where I bought it because it's not dead.

I think that is something wrong with the power. If I use the original adapter I can cet the boot menu with the android logo in the midle if I use my laptop adapter (not original so I have more voltage options and I use 5V dorectly to a USB cable -> red black wire) I got to the 4 penguins if I use my Ipod adpter I get a black screen.

somoney

Postby somoney » Wed May 01, 2013 7:46 pm

Sounds like power to me also.
Find a power adapter that outputs greater than 1amp (2amps is what I got and never had an issue since (it was for an old wd external hdd).
I have found the GK802 to be a bit of power hog compared to the dual cores.

radekal

Postby radekal » Thu May 09, 2013 12:46 pm

Sounds, like unsupported resolution.
Switch to 720p

athouston

Postby athouston » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:06 am

Just a note to say I had all sorts of problems trying to write the sd card images using dd on my iMac. I got errors that the image was too big and it made the card unreadable.

I downloaded win32diskimager from Free Software Foundation and installed it on my WinXP laptop. I used this to write to the sd card and all went well.

My $0.02.

Zcippy

Postby Zcippy » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:33 pm

There's no new firmwares coming our way for the GK802 is there? :(

Return to “Firmware”