FULL micro-sd images

deadhp1

FULL micro-sd images

Postby deadhp1 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:51 am

This thread is for FULL images of the micro-sd card.
It's meant to be used on a blank 8GB or larger micro-sd as a replacement for the internal micro-sd card. It will provide you with a working system.
These are not updates meant to be applied with the reset button.

01/20/2013
Finished uploading a new image.
It's been rooted and play store fixed.
Some changes:
-Compatible with both production models
-Working wifi and bluetooth
-NTFS support
-Working recovery/reset button
Version 1.65.4
http://adf.ly/HeMvP

12/29/2012
NOT COMPATIBLE WITH 2ND PRODUCTION MODEL!
I just finished uploading another full image.
This one is based off the 1.65.3b rooted and fixed update.
I've included Dice Player, BS Player, MX Player, Terminal Emulator, and the modified HBO Go app.
Download it from Google Drive
http://adf.ly/GekEt (rooted_fixed_1.65.3b_FULL_IMAGE.rar)

12/29/2012
This image is based off an earlier firmware update from 12/13/2012.
It has been modified by adding root and the Play Store fix.
I will have a newer full image available soon.
To make things easier I have only included a windows based method.
I prefer linux dd dumps, but this might be easier for some.
I will upload the next image in both formats.

I just finished testing this method. It works well.
The .vhd image has been compressed down to ~1.3GB.(a little less)
The image decompresses to about 7.7GB.

In order to restore the vhd you will need winimage.
A free 30-day trial is available from:
http://www.winimage.com/download.htm

1)Download and install Winimage
2)Download the gk802 virtual hard drive image.(vhd)
http://adf.ly/GdCnf (gk802_12_13_2012.zip)
3)Decompress image
4)Take you 8GB microsd card and put it into a card reader and into your windows pc.
5)Windows will ask you if you want to format it, choose no.
6)Open up Winimage
7)In the top menu choose disk--->Restore Virtual Hard Drive Image on physical drive.
8)Choose the .vhd file you extracted from the zip file.(Make sure to choose your sd card as the physical drive!!)
9) Let it finish, put back inside the GK802 and boot.

Optional:
If using a micro-sd larger than 8GB you may want to use gparted in linux to expand the last partition in order to take advantage of the extra space.

junkaccnt64

Re: FULL micro-sd images

Postby junkaccnt64 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:18 pm

Worked perfect on the Windows side. Thanks, this is exactly what I needed.

Just loaded 1.65.3b, also working as advertised.

hyperjm

Postby hyperjm » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:05 am

*edit:
oops i realised you had already uploaded the second image by the time i posted this. so just a quick question - I am able to add new .so files to system/lib and relevant licences to system/etc. However it is impossible to "persistently" change init.rc and config.gz. Would there be an easy way to change them without having to recompile the entire kernel myself?
Sorry I am still not sure if changing kernel config will necessitate a kernel recompilation. If so, would you be willing to help me? I think it will be useful for many to have usbfs set (and possibly some more webcam drivers set) in the config.gz file.

Thanks a lot and waiting on your reply
Jeremy
/------------------------------------------------------------
this is really awesome, i'll wait for the next image.

btw, could I check if the kernel option for usb "CONFIG_USB_DEVICEFS" is set to "y"?
it's for connecting the gk802 to a kinect.. I have the libraries ready(I think) and this (and mount -t usbfs -o devmode=0666) is what's left to do.

but i have confirmed that the current kernel does not yet support usbfs. there seems not to be a "usb" folder in proc/bus.
but, don't bother if it's too much trouble. I could try looking it up myself, although I thought maybe I'd ride on your next image xD

btw really great stuff so far! even the webcam support is almost perfect XD

endera

Postby endera » Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:25 pm

Zealz GK802 firmware update instruction?????

jetstopreston

Postby jetstopreston » Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:06 pm

Hi

Many thanks for putting these together for us!

One quick question I'm using a 32GB card and a mac. Do you have any help for a newbie trying to burn this image on OSX?

Thanks again

Rdfx

Postby Rdfx » Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:48 pm

First off, I wanted to say thanks for providing these images. I restored the 1.65.3b image and it's working perfectly. I was considering upgrading the stock 8gb microsd card inside. I noticed that it was rated at class 4. Would class 4 be the best option for this device or would class 10 be a better option? I wasn't sure how much random rw speeds would factor into the system operation since I know those speeds suffer on class 10 cards.

Edit:

I included CDM results for random RW speeds for both a Class 4 SanDisk 32gb and a Class 10 SanDisk 16gb that I own. The 512k is terrible on the Class 10 card, however, according to this thread over at xda, the main focus is 4K write speeds. Does this still hold true when using the microsd card to run the entire OS as opposed to simply the applications? Are there any other factors to be considered? I appreciate any help anyone is willing to provide. Thanks! :)
Last edited by Rdfx on Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

SONIC FIVE

Postby SONIC FIVE » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:48 pm

endera wrote:Zealz GK802 firmware update instruction?????

Me too,

Got this special cable and don't know how to use it.. The video thats around tells you nothing (no Sound)
Also if i plug in the special cable all i see is 4 penguins ????
:oops:

RalphS

Postby RalphS » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:55 pm

The blog appears to have instructions.

momochan

Postby momochan » Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:23 pm

Here's the link to Geekbuying's Blog on how-to update the GK802 using the external micro sd card slot:

http://blog.geekbuying.com/index.php/20 ... alz-gk802/

Or, refer to the first post where deadhp1 explains the Windows method (used with his fixed/rooted images). BTW, the micro sd card mentioned by deadhp1 is the 8GB one already inside the GK802 (meaning that you'd have to take your GK802 apart to access it). I would recommend the use a blank micro SD card larger than the original (16GB would be perfect). Keep the original micro sd as a backup. IMO, the GK802's internal micro sd is a huge bonus!

rsbuffalo

Postby rsbuffalo » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:10 am

Added image to the new SanDisk Extreme Pro microSDHC UHS-I 95Mb/s card. Re-formatted card to fat32 (probably lost some original spec-ed transfer speed with a different format) with GParted in Ubuntu. Back to windows and installed image. Back to Ubuntu and expanded last image partition to max out 16gb card with GParted. Found about 50% increased transfer rates with new card vs class 4 card. Antutu tranfer scrores are class 4~500 and new sandisk card~800 respectively. I did not run many benches on the class 4 original card and scores can vary. However, I am getting consistent scores of about 800 with Antutu Bench on the new card. These are my test findings. Hope this puts things in perspective.
Last edited by rsbuffalo on Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

AdamNJ77

Postby AdamNJ77 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:13 am

thank you so much for this. This is the only way I can update, and I really appreciate you uploading these

bambipower

Postby bambipower » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:48 pm

what afther the 30day trial of winimage?

deadhp1

Postby deadhp1 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:52 pm

winimage only counts the days you actually use the application.
I've had it installed for almost 2 months and I'm on day 5 of my trial period.

I will eventually be switching over to dd for images. Ports of dd exist for windows.
Besides when restoring the image to a larger card if you want to take advantage of the extra space you need linux to expand that last partition.
I have copies of all the firmwares so far made with dd.(Including the rare beta images with odd bugs)

linuxium

Postby linuxium » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:42 am

For linux users:
1. Download the compressed file (e.g. rooted_fixed_1.65.3b_FULL_IMAGE.rar)
2. From nautilus right click and "Extract here" to uncompress the file (e.g. rooted_fixed_1.65.3b_FULL_IMAGE.vhd)
3. Elevate your privileges (e.g. sudo su -)
4. Install vdfuse (e.g. apt-get install virtualbox-fuse) and configure with "echo 'user_allow_other' >> /etc/fuse.conf"
5. Create a mount point (e.g. mkdir vdmount)
6. Run the "vdfuse" command to mount the vhd (e.g. vdfuse -t VHD -f rooted_fixed_1.65.3b_FULL_IMAGE.vhd vdmount/)
7. Change directory to the vhd directory (e.g. cd vdmount)
8. Insert your micro-sd card and note device name (e.g. /dev/sdb)
9. Copy the entire disk image to the sd card (e.g. dd if=EntireDisk of=/dev/sdb bs=4096)
10. Replace your "nand" sd card with the sd card you've just written and reboot

monkeynutts

Postby monkeynutts » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:04 am

thanks for the linux instructions. Ill be sure to give this a go later this weekend.

fwupow

Postby fwupow » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:19 pm

This is probably a NooB type question but I'm scratching my head over "blank SD card". Aren't memory cards only blank when new? I guess I think of "blank" as meaning "unformatted", in which case how does one unformat a card which has already been formatted?

Can I use an empty Micro SD card and, if so, what format should it have?

fwupow

Postby fwupow » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:14 pm

SONIC FIVE wrote:
endera wrote:Zealz GK802 firmware update instruction?????

Me too,

Got this special cable and don't know how to use it.. The video thats around tells you nothing (no Sound)
Also if i plug in the special cable all i see is 4 penguins ????
:oops:

If you use that cable and plug the GK802 into a Windows 7 machine, Windows will install drivers and show the 2 SD Card drives but it can't read them and show the files.
If you hold the reset button down while plugging the USB cable into a Win 7 machine it will recognize it as an "unknown device" and fail to find an appropriate driver.

For the MK808, there are windows drivers which allow you to update the firmware from Windows.

I'm guessing that the results are much happier when you plug the GK802 into a Linux machine using the included USB cable.

Hopefully somebody will identify the necessary Windows Drivers for the GK802 if they even exist yet.

I only went this route because the update method prescribed by Geekbuying doesn't work. There's probably something I did wrong, but insufficient information provided by Geekbuying to identify what it was that I did wrong. What is "File Error 1"? That's about as descriptive & helpful as squat. Should I have downloaded the firmware using the browser in GK802. Are there drive or file access permissions that I need to know something about? I downloaded the firmware on a Win7 machine, decompressed it and copied it to the 4GB External Micro SD card which was FAT32 formatted and empty. I also tried leaving it compressed. Same result "File Error 1".

Anyhow, now I've yanked out the 8GB internal Micro-SD card and I'm doing the Full Virtual Disk Image thing. Hopefully that will work. I have a 32GB Sandisk Ultra on the way but it looks like I won't be able to expand the last partition unless I have a Linux machine.

Too many problems man! At least I had time to grow my beard in while waiting for the Disk Image to copy over to the Micro Sd card.

UPDATE:--> AT LAST! Something finally worked. Got the GK802 booted up on the newest rooted firmware. Now to do something about that darn Android Status Bar.

monkeynutts

Postby monkeynutts » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:05 pm

fwupow wrote:This is probably a NooB type question but I'm scratching my head over "blank SD card". Aren't memory cards only blank when new? I guess I think of "blank" as meaning "unformatted", in which case how does one unformat a card which has already been formatted?

Can I use an empty Micro SD card and, if so, what format should it have?

http://www.ehow.com/how_5903908_format-usb-micro-drive.html

this link should help. I have fat32 as the filesystem on my card.

fwupow

Postby fwupow » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:18 am

Well, I'm not THAT new!
It didn't matter. The existing 8GB card that I pulled out of the device was in a format Windows didn't recognize and the Winimage program most likely burned a new disk image to the card that again Windows won't look at sideways. As long as the Zealz knows what to do with it, I'm good.

bogolisk

Postby bogolisk » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:25 am

deadhp1 wrote:If using a micro-sd larger than 8GB you may want to use gparted in linux to expand the last partition in order to take advantage of the extra space.

Hi
Is there a way (Linux usage is ok) to increase the size of partition-7 (where the apps are installed)? It's only 1GB, too little to install a lot of apps. I don't need the last partition to be very big since I'll stream/fetch everything from my NAS. I'm also thinking about using a 32GB card, are there instructions to rebuild the disc image? I just want customize the size of partition-7 (for more apps) and the last partition (sdcard, aka, the kitchen sink) to my needs.

Thank you very much

Return to “Firmware”