Zealz GK802 Review

deadhp1

Zealz GK802 Review

Postby deadhp1 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:40 pm

I received a nice little package via DHL yesterday. I couldn't help myself!
Inside was the Zealz GK802.
I have to say this device is pretty slick. It's got a pretty nice feel to it.
The casing is black metal with plastic end caps. It seems to work well as a heatsink.
It's also easy to take apart with a tiny screw driver unlike many of the other Android Sticks.

What's In The Box?:
-Zealz GK802 Android TV Stick
-Special micro usb cable
-Power adapter with micro usb end.
-HDMI extension cable

Specifications:
Android 4.0.4
Freescale 1.2Ghz i.mx6q Quad Core Processor(running at 996Mhz)
Vivante GC2000 GPU(supports OpenGL 3.0!)
1GB of RAM
8GB internal NAND(internal micro sd card that is removable)
External micro sd card slot
Wifi b/g/n
Bluetooth
Male HDMI port
Micro USB port for power
Full size USB port
Hidden Reset Button

First Boot:
After plugging in the Zealz GK802 it took 30 seconds for it to boot to the Android home screen.
I was greeted by a nice 720p resolution. I quickly went into settings and switch over to 1080p goodness.
The change was quick and without problems. It's very nice to have a stick that can actually change resolutions.
My next task was to connect to my wifi routers. I have a specific 2.4Ghz wifi router set to n-only mode just to test out things. I've placed this router in an odd corner of my house that's been named "dark territory". Things just don't get signal there.
It connected at 150Mbps with no problem. The GK802 even had 4 bars.
A quick run of the speedtest.net app showed that the GK802 can pull everything my connection can offer.
29315 download, and 5372 upload.

My next test was to play 720p over my local network.
I've got an FTP server setup in my house that I like to stream from.
I loaded up a 720p anime episode thats 20 minutes long. It weighs in a 350MB. There was no problem at all.
My next test was the same episode, but encoded in 1080p. It's about 850MB. Again I had no problems streaming or playing it back.
Since then I have watched several HD movies on the GK802 and it hasn't hiccuped once.
Audo/Video have always seemed to be in near perfect/perfect sync.
Hardware decoding works perfectly with BS Player, Dice Player, and MX Player.
I've even gone as far as playing 2 movies at the same time using the popout features of Dice Player and BS Player. Both played without issues.

The GK802 currently comes with limited Play Store access. I've helped Geekbuying push the fixes to the factory. So the next update should have this fixed.
For now I've modified the most current update given to me by Geekbuying with the missing XML files, root, and a couple of performance tweaks in build.prop.
I loaded my update onto an external micro sd and held down the reset button with a paperclip while plugging the GK802 in.
When I the Android recovery menu came up.
There was no problem updating. After rebooting, I loaded up Play Store and now had access to many other missing apps. I downloaded Antutu 3.0.3 and Netflix.

Antutu Scores:
The tests went well, but I noticed that the GC2000 is about equal to the quad core Mali400 in terms of performance.
In reality the GC2000 should out perform the Mali400. I'm guessing the driver needs to be optimized a bit more.
The fact that the GC2000 runs ICS also has an impact. I noticed on every stick I've tested that the ICS score is always quite a bit lower than the JB score.
Also keep in mind that the GK802 runs at 996Mhz in these tests so it actually performs quite well.
At 1080p my score was 9683.
At 720p my score was 10572.
I've since reran the tests after the GK802 has been pull of apps and services. After running for several hours the GK802 was quite hot.
The scores were a bit lower clocking in a 9843 for the 1080p and 9059 for the 720p.
It's funny because it feels much faster than the RK3066 sticks I've tested and owned in the past.

Netlfix:
What else can I say about netflix other than it plays very well.
Performance is good over the wifi. It doesn't switch to low resolution modes like I've seen on other sticks.
The newest version of netflix seems to have issues with subtitles. Sideloading an older version fixed this for me.

Flash:
It comes with flash preinstalled. I've had no trouble streaming flash videos through the stock browser.

XBMC:
The Beta 2 is out and runs well on the GK802. It still doesn't support hardware decoding, but is powerful enough to handle standard avi files and lower size MKV/MP4.
The user interface works great and I'll be installing a version that uses Dice Player as the default player in the soon future.

Addons:
After rooting and fixing the Play Store I've updated Busybox and added the Hidebar demo.
Now I can go full screen with no navigation bar. It makes everything so much better.
I've also installed adfree from the Play Store to eliminate those annoying popups on the web.

Conclusion:
I'm recommeding the Zealz GK802 to everyone I know. It's the nicest stick I've tested by far.
Switching resolutions properly alone is worth it. The performance is really good.
I'm excited to use it as a dev machine and am working on getting linux running.
The Freescale i.mx6q supports hardware X11 acceleration and hardware decoding through GStreamer.

bluepeter

Re: Zealz GK802 Review

Postby bluepeter » Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:40 pm

Thank you dead for a great review, I've been following the other GK802 thread with particular interest. I get the feeling this will be my next stick.... In honesty do you believe this device has legs in it (in other words, some longevity) quad core CPU/quad core GPU, where are the Chinese going to go next? I'm not sure hardware wise they can up the anti for at least ..... 6mths? Maybe longer.

If you don't mind would you read posts #172/173 and give me an honest response, is this BS?.... I've only just discovered android TV sticks, and purchased the UG802 & the MK802-3..... the UG is rooted and running a finless rom... the MK802-3 uses your rom... both good and they run XBMC neon/Mx player HW decode and stream wirelessly from my Qnap NAS.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/streamer ... -ds-6.html

As I said I'm a month into TV sticks. I originally was going to get Amlogic device, M1/M3 but steared clear as I didn't think they had much future...is it true the Pivos even tho it's has a lot less power than say the Zeals 802 but will still have hardware acceleration long before the freescale devices?

Kind regards
Peter.

fred_yu_job

Postby fred_yu_job » Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:29 pm

Could you please read the memory size on it? I mean the size of the memory for the applications.
thanks!

ErwinOnline

Postby ErwinOnline » Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:21 pm

Hi deadhp1. Nice review! Would it be possible to post some gaming/streaming/video playback video's on YouTube? 8-)
Nice: Somecooltech1 just uploaded a review, go check it out http://youtu.be/dHtQvGyV6Mk :D

player911

Postby player911 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:28 am

I currently have an MK808 and I really like it. The downfall is the lack of Bluetooth which I assumed I could get working (stable) with a USB-BT. Well I've been fighting it and fighting it. Still no solution.

I really like the review of this one. WiFi looks great and bluetooth seems very nice. I saw the benchmarks puts this faster then the MK808 scores but what about the GPU? On the MK808 playing N64 and FPse titles will produce some slow down occasionally. Would the GK802 be a step back, same, or forward with gaming?

What about market games? The Mali was a popular chip and I'd hate to find a lot of games just out of reach.

Great review and that video was really nice. Lots of benefits over the MK808 that I liked.

bmc71p

Postby bmc71p » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:10 pm

piece of junk - finally received it and the USB port is dead - can't do a thing. have to plug the mouse USB in partial way just to get the mouse light to work, but nothing else happens. I've tried all my 5 mouses(mice?) which are less than a year old - same results. Frustrating after waiting 20 days for delivery

fma965

Postby fma965 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:18 pm

bmc71p wrote:piece of junk - finally received it and the USB port is dead - can't do a thing. have to plug the mouse USB in partial way just to get the mouse light to work, but nothing else happens. I've tried all my 5 mouses(mice?) which are less than a year old - same results. Frustrating after waiting 20 days for delivery

take your complaints to the seller not to deadhp1 forum.
My GK802 Dev-Host Folder (Kernel and uBoot Source)

rimakus

Postby rimakus » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:41 pm

bmc71p wrote:piece of junk - finally received it and the USB port is dead - can't do a thing. have to plug the mouse USB in partial way just to get the mouse light to work, but nothing else happens. I've tried all my 5 mouses(mice?) which are less than a year old - same results. Frustrating after waiting 20 days for delivery

But the unit boots up itself and working right?

Naismith

Postby Naismith » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:14 pm

Great review.

I agree with you. The device have low scores but it shows a more fluid than RK3066

See you

steve_77

Postby steve_77 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:05 pm

Nice review, bud does anyone know how this device would compare to something like Boundary Devices's Nitrogen6X board (or something similar) for use a low power HTPC / media server. I know the gk802 has the HDMI, but not sure if what i want to use it for is the popper intent of this device - I was hoping to use it with linux as a audio/video streaming device perhaps something like XBMC / subsonic or what not with media files on some attached SSD for a low power consumption "cloud" storage that can be accessed over a network. Are any of you using the device in this fashion?

cktoh78

Postby cktoh78 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:39 am

I have the same problem, I have try 3 different mouse on the usb port and all not working at all. The device does boot up and without the mouse, is is useless.
Waited for more then 30 days from DX.com and receive a faulty unit :(

Have make a complaint to them but n reply at all.

fma965

Postby fma965 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:00 pm

cktoh78 wrote:I have the same problem, I have try 3 different mouse on the usb port and all not working at all. The device does boot up and without the mouse, is is useless.
Waited for more then 30 days from DX.com and receive a faulty unit :(

Have make a complaint to them but n reply at all.

are you using a 2amp psu? if not this is probably the issue.
My GK802 Dev-Host Folder (Kernel and uBoot Source)

riggatrigga

Postby riggatrigga » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:17 pm

I too had a similar problem but it fixed itself for me when i first got the gk802 i tried 2 different wireless mice and couldnt get them to work but then tried one wired mouse and it worked however the strange part was after that every mouse started to work ....dunno if it will work for you but thought id share just incase u havnt tried a wired mouse yet

cocky

Postby cocky » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:32 am

Hello, can you send me the fixes and updates that you had installed in your gk802? I have similar issues.
Thank you very much

respindola

Postby respindola » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:11 pm

deadhp1 wrote:Netlfix:
What else can I say about netflix other than it plays very well.
Performance is good over the wifi. It doesn't switch to low resolution modes like I've seen on other sticks.
The newest version of netflix seems to have issues with subtitles. Sideloading an older version fixed this for me.

hello! I've just update my gk802 android and installed netflix. Netflix seems to have issues with subtitles until today... So, I was wondering if you know which older version of netflix it's working correctly?

Thanks!

Return to “GK802”