GK802 as linux server 24/7

gomz

GK802 as linux server 24/7

Postby gomz » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:45 pm

i'm planing to buy some dual/quad core arm device and use it like linux server (torrent, samba, NAS...) just command line without GUI
now i have Cubieboard, and it is nice little device, but it have just one core.
i'm thinking about Odroid, but it's little bit expensive, and GK802 is just 69$ with free shipping.

how stable is GK802 with linux for 24/7 (with extra heatsink on CPU)?
what about WiFi performance, how stable and fast is wifi on GK802?
there is not so much developers working on GK802, do i have wrong impression that things are moving slowly?

PS i don't care about video acceleration, android and such a things. i need good Wifi signal, USB connection for my USB HDD, and stability

s4nity

Re: GK802 as linux server 24/7

Postby s4nity » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:46 pm

Wlecome to the forum gomz!

As to your question:
imho, it will do just well.
ive been using it for a week or so, mainly on ubuntu, i ran android only once to see how it works, and i have to say its performance is modest.
as to stability, i have to test it some more, two days ago in the morning, after a rough night of heavy compilations i couldnt wake it up.
currnetly im not at home to check what caused it.
apart from this, i cant complain bout anything but heat.
my goals are very much the same as yours, when it comes to usage, i built gentoo solemnly for the purpose of a continiously working multi purpouse fully customizeable good performance device, very much alike the raspberry i have used for a long time now, but with more power.

if you want to use it, be sure to do the 2 following things: wifi and cooling mod.
i use it with the onboard antenna, but for me it is just about 30 cm away from the ap.. no problems there.

i have not tested and external hdd, but i expect it would need aditional powering, considering its reasonably low power drains/supply (ext.hdd can consume up to 1,5a!).

there is not so much developers working on GK802, do i have wrong impression that things are moving slowly?

id disagree. true, there are many ppl who bought it only bec its a quad and runs android so ~ good smart/tv stick, but if you check the linux subforum youll see that a handfull of guys use it pc-wise, like me. i think that there is not as much to do actually. everyone can run linux on it, howto's supplied, and start from there, no? what more can u possibly expect?

s4nity
rbPI ftw!:D
s4nity.blogspot.com

gomz

Postby gomz » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:56 pm

i was searching a little bit over net, and found some great new products that are coming very soon.

Allwinner A31 Quad Core
Rockchip RK3188
Huaawei MediaQ M310
F9 Android set-top box => quad-core Exynos 4412

Allwinner A31 look's very promising, new architecture ARMv7, great GPU.... on other side RK3188 is also ARMv7, and 28nm so lower heat dissipation...
I will probably wait a month or two, and then find best solution beside my Cubieboard :)

s4nity

Postby s4nity » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:45 am

Nice findings!
But im sure, regardless of performance, that the i.mx6 which we have onboard in the gk802 will still be the one mostly supported in linux development. Freescale rocks because of this!

s4nity
s4nity.blogspot.com

costelcar

Postby costelcar » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:53 am

Sorry to come with a bit of an off-topic, but s4nity, what "wifi and cooling mod" are you talking about? I have very poor wifi stability, I just posted a topic on this, have to keep resetting router, can't get solid constant reception, etc. and your comment sounded intriguing. Thanks!

conversy

Postby conversy » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:50 am

s4nity wrote:

id disagree. true, there are many ppl who bought it only bec its a quad and runs android so ~ good smart/tv stick, but if you check the linux subforum youll see that a handfull of guys use it pc-wise, like me. i think that there is not as much to do actually. everyone can run linux on it, howto's supplied, and start from there, no? what more can u possibly expect?
s4nity

I have to disagree. I do not blame anyone since the guys you are talking about do it for free on their spare time, so kudos to them.

But I tried to get:
- EDID working (so my Dell 1920x1200 is recognized out of the box)
- HDMI audio working
- Wifi working
at the same time, and I can tell you this was not a smooth experience.

I'm not that experienced on ARM/Linux though (especially the intricacies of uboot, uImage, dd and the likes), and my skills in installing Linux may have rusted a little bit since the days when I installed slackware on floppies circa '94, or when compiling a kernel was a normal and regular administration task.

And I still do not know if the wifi problems are due to my incompetencies or to a faulty hardware...

s4nity

Postby s4nity » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:03 am

> costelcar

Visit the 'hardware mods' subsection of the forum, you'll find your answers there.

> conversy

I respect your work, as i do respect anyone trying to make the device work for themselves in ways and manor they expect it to.
When it comes to me, im experienced using many distros, and with little to none experience with arm devices, part for raspberry ofc, i build my gentoo release.
I did never say that its all easy and fast, but once you get something and post about it, others may follow, and their steps are eased.
The thing is, one has got to read many threads and posts, before and after building the stuff needed.
There is a bunch of actually working releases, most of them fully usable.

My wifi is working right, please submit more info on your problem, maybe someone can help

s4nity.
Last edited by s4nity on Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
s4nity.blogspot.com

conversy

Postby conversy » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:36 pm

Thank you s4nity.

I'd like to post more info, but I do not know which one. Maybe some console or kernel msg, though I'm not sure where to look at. Any tips? something in /var?

The network admin at my work declared the MAC adress but could not see any trace of it when I tried to connect to the network...

As soon as I have something working, I plan to give info or images so that others can have a better experience...

s4nity

Postby s4nity » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:24 pm

> conversy

How are you connecting to your network? I did not experiment with anything other than my good old wep, but i will if it should help.
Are you using wpa_suppl? Which distro do you use, ubunt from jas?
Clear your logs, reboot and show me your dmesg, after the connection attempt.
Perhaps this will enlighten some more, so we can fix it.

s4nity
s4nity.blogspot.com

conversy

Postby conversy » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:08 am

well, it works now.

Please see my post on the thread I opened a few days ago: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=1948&p=11917#p11917

Thank you S4nity for trying to help me...

Return to “GK802”