General impression and a couple of small issues

RealTNT

General impression and a couple of small issues

Postby RealTNT » Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:54 am

Hi guys (and gals?)

This is my first post here. I got a GK802 a few weeks ago as I wanted to have a single device to watch Netflix, local content and Youtube and replace a Wii + Ac.Ryan Mini that I had before.

I don't have a lot of HD content and wasn't too bothered about it at the moment, as the local streaming is mostly for streaming the kids DVDs that I rip (as we haven't had a DVD player for a long long time!). For my needs I guess a dual core stick would probably be sufficient, but the gadget junkie in me couldn't resist the quad core CPU! :-)

The setup is like this: GK802 + powered USB hub + USB-2-Ethernet + RC11 Air mouse

The router is right next to the TV (I moved it there as it was not an issue for me and wanted to avoid WiFi issues - although I didn't see any problems when I tested it for a couple of days), so it connected via Ethernet.

My first little issue is with Netflix. Whenever I start watching something I had to start/stop a few times because it the video freezes (audio keeps playing). After 1 or 2 start/stops it plays just fine. Does anyone else have this problem?

Another small issue is that every time that I leave it idle for a while I have to turn ethernet off and back on. I'm assuming this would be something like power saving or something like that? I leave the stick on all the time and I would like not having to do that if possible.

All in all though I'm quite happy with the GK802 as a media device. At first I was a bit disappointed as I tried a number of different players and each was playing a few files ok but not others. Finally, XBMC saved the day. It plays the vast majority of the files just fine. I've even watched a 720p movie (although it wasn't buttery smooth by any stretch!). BTW, the full!screen app was an awesome addition for getting rid of the soft keys.

The air mouse takes a bit of getting used to and is in no way child friendly... but at least whilst using XBMC I can also use one of my Android phones/tablets to control it.

I'd love to hear any more tips and tricks for the GK802.

Return to “GK802”