Returning my non working gk802. what is best dual core stick

dc4lifeskater

Returning my non working gk802. what is best dual core stick

Postby dc4lifeskater » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:07 pm

So I got a gk802 from geekbuying.com from the start it hasn't worked right and something is wrong with it. I finally got in touch with geekbuying.com and I am going ot return my stick but I think I want a different one I think this one seems to have to many issues although I did research it before I bought I thought it was better then this..

So I need some suggestions on a good stick to trade this one out for.. I paid like $90 for it so it needs to be on geekbuying.com and under the price or the same that I paid for it..

I don't mind if its dual core.. I just don't want it to be a piece of crap.

What I plan to do with it:

Watch youtube videos
Stream .mp4 videos and .avi video (not 720p or 1080p) just standard quality videos most not even dvd quality, like the ones you download.
I want to be able to play games on it like the android games, angry birds and stuff like that.
I want to have good android app compatablity
I want to be able to have a secondary microsd card or be able to replace the internal with a bigger one so I can store some things on there but this is not a must.
I want it to be fast not laggy
good working hdmi support I don't want to have to turn my tv off or on or mess around I just want to plug it in and turn it on and it works like it should
being rooted or easily able to root and good support/development would be nice like whichever one is the most popular
I plan to use it daily to watch shows I download on my tv
It does not have to be super small like the gk802 I would prefer good cooling and properly working as well as speed over size

Anyone that can point me in the right direction would be appreciated.

http://www.geekbuying.com/item/Tronsmar ... 13667.html

That is the one I am thinking about it has the new jellybean.. It take standard sd cards and has more usb ports which I like, it also says it works with fat/fat32/ntfs and supports cameras and stuff and seems to be fast from the specs.. Can anyone comment on this device?

magimog

Re: Returning my non working gk802. what is best dual core s

Postby magimog » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:52 pm

This devices lifecycle is still relatively early and is a fresh chipset. You shouldn't invest in newer/more expensive sticks if you dont plan on bashing some bugs or being comfortable doing heavy testing. It's not noob-friendly at the moment.

That being said, your linked item doesnt seem all that worth it. You're paying for the privilege of extra ports. Not worth it in my opinion for a dual-core. Its also just as fresh as the GK802, so you'll be playing the same waiting game for kernels/patches to add all the functionality listed on the page.

If you want something with a bigger community (and thus more kernels/patches/ROMs) I would buy something in the RK3066 family. There are tons of them, have a pretty healthy forum and they are cheap, you might be able to get away with getting two different ones for $100.

Or you can try getting a full refund and getting an OUYA when it comes out. For the same price you will get something that will most defnitely get great (stateside) support and mods, better specs AND you get a bluetooth controller with it for the same price. Not to mention that it'll work as advertised out of the box!

fwupow

Postby fwupow » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:31 pm

MK808 rules the roost right now for Made-In-China PC-sticks. I flashed Finless Bob's new version 1.7C firmware on to my MK808 and everything works like butter. You'd think it was made by Samsung or Apple or something. Bluetooth is a good idea for gaming, so you can go with the MK808B for about $48.00. Finless Bob also has a seperate version of firmware for that.

Soon there will be a new Tronsmart Quad-core stick based on the Rockchip RK3188 but it will likely have a number of bugs that will need several weeks to iron out, so as of right now if you want something that just works, the MK808 or MK808B with Finless Bob's custom ROM is where it's at.

deadhp1

Postby deadhp1 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:41 am

You really can't go wrong with the MK808. It's got a heatsink and very decent build quality.
My ONLY issues with it are:
-wifi has a max speed of 65Mbps.
-older models had issues on some tv's.
I actually have 4 MK808's and 2 MK808B's. My original MK808 doesn't work on my 1080p HDTV. They rest which we're purchase more recently recently work just fine on the same tv.

thePCisDead

Postby thePCisDead » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:59 am

In my humble opinion now is the time to be patient with the gk802. Development for Linux is making big strides forward.

korpenkraxar

Postby korpenkraxar » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:25 am

deadhp1 wrote:You really can't go wrong with the MK808. It's got a heatsink and very decent build quality.
My ONLY issues with it are:
-wifi has a max speed of 65Mbps.
-older models had issues on some tv's.
I actually have 4 MK808's and 2 MK808B's. My original MK808 doesn't work on my 1080p HDTV. They rest which we're purchase more recently recently work just fine on the same tv.

My experience with the MK808B (which I gave to my dad) was that the Android interface and rendering was much smoother overall than the GK802 but that the MK808B could not play back 1080p material very well nor handle high res streams, something which the GK802 most often excels at. I use my GK802 as a small media center playing media of a NAS as well as watching streaming media and listening to Spotify. It works better than the MK808B for my purposes. You mileage may vary, especially if you get a stick for gaming.

lefizz

Postby lefizz » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:01 am

What app do you use for steaming 1080p from your nas? I had little luck with the gk802. I reverted to the MX 2 which works pretty well using rock player but only up to 720p

Sent from my unknown using Tapatalk 2

mfurman

Postby mfurman » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:42 pm

lefizz wrote:What app do you use for steaming 1080p from your nas? I had little luck with the gk802. I reverted to the MX 2 which works pretty well using rock player but only up to 720p

Sent from my unknown using Tapatalk 2

I currently use mx player set to use hardware acceleration. Once I enabled that I no longer had problems with watching anything 1080p on the gk802.

Return to “GK802”