CIFS - Mounting windows shares

brca

CIFS - Mounting windows shares

Postby brca » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:42 pm

Hi all,

I saw few posts asking for cifs module for GK802, so here they are.

These days I played a little with kernel and succeeded to build cifs.ko and md4.ko modules and to mount windows share via CIFS Manager and Mount Manager.

Instructions:
  • Download "cifs_md4_nls_utf8.zip" attachment, extract it and copy to GK802 sdcard, e.g. /sdcard/modules
  • Start terminal application and enter following commands:
    insmod /sdcard/modules/md4.ko
    insmod /sdcard/modules/cifs.ko
  • Install CIFS Manager, Mount Manager or any application for that purposes
  • Start the installed application, enter your windows share path (e.g. 192.168.1.10/public), username and password if it is required, mount path (e.g. /mnt/cifs/public or /sdcard/cifs/public) and click mount
  • Now, you should be able to access the windows share via mounted path.

I had problem with streaming 1080p video over local wireless network and copying files from my computer to GK802 was very slow ~300 KB/s when accessing directly to windows share.

I was hoping that after mounting windows share will get better, but unfortunately it was the same. Problem still exists.
I tried yo play mkv with bitrate ~10 Mbit/s and it was constantly chopping.

I have TP-Link TL-WR1043ND router in NG Mode, 40Mhz channel width. When copying files from desktop to laptop connected over wifi speed is ~10 MB/s (80 Mbit/s) and streaming of full hd video on laptop works flawlessly so it seems that network is not the problem but dongle.

I saw this release from Freescale https://community.freescale.com/docs/DOC-93821. One of the bug fixes is: "realtek throughput issue with TPLink AP" and as I have TPLink router maybe this fix would fix the problem with speed over local wireless network. Is anyone tried to build Realtek WiFi driver with this patch and to check it on GK802?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

vincentvega

Re: CIFS - Mounting windows shares

Postby vincentvega » Mon May 06, 2013 12:43 pm

Hi,

Do you have permanent solution for this CIFS mounting? If I do this as you adviced it works until next restart. What did I wrong? :)

brca wrote:Hi all,

I saw few posts asking for cifs module for GK802, so here they are.

These days I played a little with kernel and succeeded to build cifs.ko and md4.ko modules and to mount windows share via CIFS Manager and Mount Manager.

Instructions:
  • Download "cifs_md4_nls_utf8.zip" attachment, extract it and copy to GK802 sdcard, e.g. /sdcard/modules
  • Start terminal application and enter following commands:
    insmod /sdcard/modules/md4.ko
    insmod /sdcard/modules/cifs.ko
  • Install CIFS Manager, Mount Manager or any application for that purposes
  • Start the installed application, enter your windows share path (e.g. 192.168.1.10/public), username and password if it is required, mount path (e.g. /mnt/cifs/public or /sdcard/cifs/public) and click mount
  • Now, you should be able to access the windows share via mounted path.

I had problem with streaming 1080p video over local wireless network and copying files from my computer to GK802 was very slow ~300 KB/s when accessing directly to windows share.

I was hoping that after mounting windows share will get better, but unfortunately it was the same. Problem still exists.
I tried yo play mkv with bitrate ~10 Mbit/s and it was constantly chopping.

I have TP-Link TL-WR1043ND router in NG Mode, 40Mhz channel width. When copying files from desktop to laptop connected over wifi speed is ~10 MB/s (80 Mbit/s) and streaming of full hd video on laptop works flawlessly so it seems that network is not the problem but dongle.

I saw this release from Freescale https://community.freescale.com/docs/DOC-93821. One of the bug fixes is: "realtek throughput issue with TPLink AP" and as I have TPLink router maybe this fix would fix the problem with speed over local wireless network. Is anyone tried to build Realtek WiFi driver with this patch and to check it on GK802?

Return to “GK802”