Ubuntu image (GPU + VPU acceleration)

lefizz

Re: Ubuntu image (GPU + VPU acceleration)

Postby lefizz » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:09 pm

Got it working

sudo sh mksdcard.sh

Have to say i am really enjoying ubuntu 12.1 on my laptop, if its half as good on the gk802 this could be really interesting.
It has come on so much in the last few years, way prefer this to my missus bloody mac.

lefizz

Postby lefizz » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:24 pm

OK tried twice, script ran perfectly on two seperate SD cards. One got updated kernel.

Neither boot, any advice, is there anything you have to do after running the script.

magimog

Postby magimog » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:35 am

I couldn't get it to work when I used /mnt/sda but when I used /dev/sda it worked.

Your mileage may vary. I've also had trouble with the script building correctly so I would flash the image and then run scripts to update kernel with better results. This was a few weeks ago and I'm sure the process has gotten better.

lefizz

Postby lefizz » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:37 am

I tried deadhp1s image a while ago and that didn't work either.

Don't know what to do. I have had no issues at all trying different versions of Android etc on it.

Very odd

Sent from my unknown using Tapatalk 2

jas

Postby jas » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:49 pm

lefizz wrote:OK tried twice, script ran perfectly on two seperate SD cards. One got updated kernel.

Neither boot, any advice, is there anything you have to do after running the script.

A bit obvious, are you placing the SD card in the Internal SD slot and not the External slot?
Last edited by jas on Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jas-hacks

lefizz

Postby lefizz » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:52 pm

Yeah had the bloody thing apart about 200 times now

magimog

Postby magimog » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:51 am

You should show us what you're typing and the output.

I had the same issue as you but after looking a but closer at the output I noticed some things. For example, the script was writing a 2GB file to the hard drive because I was pointing it to the wrong place.

After looking through this I managed to successfully run the scripts on Ubuntu and Debian, both live and installed.

lefizz

Postby lefizz » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:08 am

Well I have played with Linux a tiny bit but what you have to do seems very simple.

Boot

Download scripts

Plug in SD card

I used gpart to find my mount points.

Edit the scripts to point to sdb

Open terminal

Cd to downloads where my scripts were.

Run the script via

sudo sh mksdcard.sh

Wait 20 mins, run the update script until that finished.

Plug in

Nothing

lefizz

Postby lefizz » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:13 am

Have to say my laptop runs an nvidia graphics card in optimus mode along side Intel graphics. Ubuntu really doesn't seem to like it lots of weird pauses and judging by the heat from the laptop high CPU usage. Tried via live and a wibu install, wasted hours if not days on this and no luck.

I think I'll wait till there is an SD image about. Life is too short.

rimakus

Postby rimakus » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:42 am

lefizz wrote:Have to say my laptop runs an nvidia graphics card in optimus mode along side Intel graphics. Ubuntu really doesn't seem to like it lots of weird pauses and judging by the heat from the laptop high CPU usage. Tried via live and a wibu install, wasted hours if not days on this and no luck.

Disable Optimus mode and enable discrete graphics in BIOS. Ubuntu won't boot on my lenovo laptop with Optimus mode on at all. You won't see big difference with discrete graphics enabled all the time unless you work on a battery power a lot.

magimog

Postby magimog » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:17 pm

lefizz wrote:Have to say my laptop runs an nvidia graphics card in optimus mode along side Intel graphics. Ubuntu really doesn't seem to like it lots of weird pauses and judging by the heat from the laptop high CPU usage. Tried via live and a wibu install, wasted hours if not days on this and no luck.

I guarantee your pauses are caused by the nouveau driver. I had the exact same thing happen to me over all Linux distros as I use a bastard Nvidia card. When in the grub menu you have to force nomodeset. Use this guide to fix your graphics hiccups. Long story short, get to your boot options (press E in grub, or F6 in the live boot menu) and replace "quiet splash" with "nomodeset"

There is an SD card image for Ubuntu on GK802, two of them in fact. I'm also unsure if you're taking the advice listed. Like I've said, I was in the exact same situation until I looked over what I was doing more. Even though the scripts appeared to he working (you can take out your SD card now prompt, etc) it was getting blank screens.

To reiterate: the easiest and fastest route for me was to copy the premade Ubuntu image (I used Win8, but this doesn't matter), reboot into Linux and run the update kernel script (not the mksdcard.sh) It ONLY worked when I pointed to the /dev/sdb as opposed to /mnt/sdb. This is key in making this work for me.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

lefizz

Postby lefizz » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:27 pm

Thanks for the help and advice very much appreciated. I did start of burn the original SD card image several times. I am pretty familiar with the software under windows cause I have a raspberry pi. That image didn't boot on either of the micro SD cards I have. I then spent hours trying to get the script to work.

However I will try your suggestions and have another go.

ralfi__

Postby ralfi__ » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:56 am

I have also spend many hours to get the device working. IMHO you have to look at these points:
In context with the u-boot.img and the ARM kernel you must have a partition list on your sdmc exactly like this:

fdisk -l /dev/sde

Disk /dev/sde: 7948 MB, 7948206080 bytes
    240 heads, 32 sectors/track, 2021 cylinders, total 15523840 sectors
    Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0x21663334

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/sde1 31248 15523839 7746296 83 Linux

This is IMHO in connection with the formating script line in the batch file:

(echo n;echo;echo;echo "31248";echo;echo w) |fdisk $MMC_DEV >/dev/null 2>&1

And IMHO the line

dd if=$kernel of=$MMC_DEV 1048576 seek=1 >/dev/null 2>&1 && sync && sync

in the mksdcard_jas_1204_gpu_vpu.sh script could not work and should be changed to ... of=$MMC_DEV bs=1048576 seek=1 ...

After formatting the sdmc i do the steps 1 to 4 like Jas Hacks Site this describe. Last but not least the stick do start only after three or four attempt (i dont know why, could be in context with driver installation) if you have any usb device plugged. And you should always plugged the device to your monitor before you powered up the stick. Remember, the internal bluetooth doesnt work. IMHO with the pure XFCE Session the stick works quite good, there are Unity, Xubuntu and XFCE session selectable at the Login Manager. I got the stick last week with the latest firmware.

Return to “GK802”