Losing Faith

transient999

Re: Losing Faith

Postby transient999 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:53 am

It is a disappointment, good luck trying to sell me the F9 geekbuying.

guydroid208

Postby guydroid208 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:58 am

I think everyone is waiting for the new firmware (and hopefully new 3D driver), or a rebuilt kernal by someone. The sad part is what does work looks great. Has anyone heard anything on the firmware front?

rimakus

Postby rimakus » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:32 pm

They were promising something at the end of February. Now it is March. Looks like they are interested in selling like 2K units and then do not care if they sell more cause they start selling some new "better" stuff like F9.
Last edited by rimakus on Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

newhousik

Postby newhousik » Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:04 am

F9 also only from and. 4.0. I will give Next $ 99 if the equipment will have a 4.1 and 2 GB ram. For mali400 I do not believe it.

jas

Postby jas » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:22 am

If anyone would like to donate their GK802/Hi802 for our Linux development, please PM me. Alternatively if you would to see the latest Ubuntu progress http://jas-hacks.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03 ... puvpu.html.
jas-hacks

trssho91

Postby trssho91 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:25 pm

I'm with you all. I expect some glitches on a new device, but to charge $100 for something that doesn't work at all for lot of people is bad. I get no video from mine and its just collecting dust. I would love to be able to use it, but that is starting to look unlikely. Good luck geekbuying to get me to buy the f9... or anything for that matter while I got zero value from the gk802. With that said if they release a ROM that works I will gladly eat my words. :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

andhi

Postby andhi » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:01 am

That's great news, jas. Thanks to all of you for the effort you put into this. Please keep us updated.

How exactly would you benefit from additional devices? Also where are you guys located?
Would it also be helpful if someone would lend a GK802 to you for a couple weeks?

riggatrigga

Postby riggatrigga » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:56 pm

did u backup the stock image and try that? I didn't have any video for a day but I just reburned the stock image and applied the playstore fix and rooted manually and its been running fine since atleast for all the stuff im using (plex, playon, xbmc, sickbeard, sabnzbd, couch potato, flipboard, droidmote, esfile explorer and a handful of other apps and games) my bandwidth sucks ass for uploading otherwise I woulda uploaded my fixed stock image a cpl weeks ago I bet it would work.

are you using any hdmi adapters? or directly into the tv? cuz I have 3 or 4 hdmi adapters here and 2 of them don't work I don't get any picture on the screen when using those adapters

trssho91

Postby trssho91 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:51 am

Where I connect mine I have to use a HDMI adapter and I get the same issue as you with no video, that is why I have yet to use the device. From what I read it is an issue with a poorly/early configured video driver with missing configurations for some screen. Also poor video performance. That is only was I have taken away from reading, I have zero time using the device and I am by no means any kind of expert here. With that said I am optimistic about the jelly bean release. I am hoping the time given for the device and it drives to mature combined with the upgraded OS will at least give a more broadly operational device. May I ask what adapter you used that did work?

Sent from my MK808

lefizz

Postby lefizz » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:13 pm

Jas can we get an updated image with the GFC acceleration enable as per your YouTube.

Well done on the amazing work

Sent from my ZP900 using Tapatalk 2

riggatrigga

Postby riggatrigga » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:35 pm

as for the branding of the adapters I have no clue anymore not really any markings on them, however I do know that the swivel adapter from the geekbuying site does work with my 2 lg tvs, and my asus monitor and also my playstation monitor however does not work with my Panasonic viera. and on the 2 lg tvs the swivel adapter only works with the short extension that came with the gk802 so its kinda strange.. I have 2 male to male connectors with no marking on what brand they are and strangely only one works they look almost identical.

it really sucks you havnt been able to use yours I use mine everyday I love this stick havnt touched my atv2 since I got it :)

trssho91

Postby trssho91 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:56 am

It does suck, but mostly it because its a new toy I can't play with. ;) Do use my MK808 every day so I am not without - but I look forward to saying I have a quad core!

Sent from my MK808

trssho91

Postby trssho91 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:56 am

I may see what the geekbuying adapter does....thank you!

Sent from my MK808

thePCisDead

Postby thePCisDead » Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:31 pm

Dam, Jas had a new post up less than an hour ago with a new preview image but for now it looks like he took it down :cry:

The link was http://jas-hacks.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03 ... image.html

Care to share an ETA Jas?

rimakus

Postby rimakus » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:51 am

thePCisDead

Postby thePCisDead » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:40 pm

Yes, finally there is hope :)

I was playing with the preview image he posted yesterday. I think it's a huge step forward. I installed the LXDE desktop manager and removed unity and gnome. I installed LibreOffice and some other stuff. Performance overall is excellent for me. My system became really slow a few times to the point where I needed to wait for 5 minutes before I was able to close apps and either get things back or be forced to shutdown. I'm wondering if it is related to either issues with wifi or the thermal/CPU freq driver patches work Jas said that still needs to be done. I might get a cold pack tonight (the kind used for sport injuries) and place my GK802 on it to see if it is related to temperature. It didn't seem that hot though. Also my CPU usage averaged 10-40% for what I was doing - so no heavy load. I did notice that wifi would work great for a while and then struggle.

My linux skills are limited. One thing I realised after messing around for a while is that some apps like Chrome are made for specific architecture (i386 vs amd64), so unfortunately I was unable to update Chrome to a newer version. The one included with the Linaro build is release 13 which is way behind the current beta release 26. So far I haven't been able to get flash working with Firefox or Chrome but that's probably just me.

I'm also wondering if I upgrade from 11.10 to 12.10 if that will break a bunch of stuff. I might try for the hell of it.

Overall this preview release is incredible especially considering how early it is in development. Lots of potential even to use this device as a laptop replacement IMHO.

Return to “GK802”