Game Controller Support xBox360 PSX

fwupow

Game Controller Support xBox360 PSX

Postby fwupow » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:39 pm

It seems that the standard method of getting game controllers to work on these stick PCs is to add the xpad.ko ("ko" = "kernel object") to the kernel by using "terminal commands".

The technique described here apparently works on Rockchip RK3066 devices:
http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/40410-h ... ll-rk3066/

It refers to folders that don't exist on the GK802. In fact nearly every hack and article on Android that I find on the Web casually refers to folders and files that don't exist on the GK802! Sure makes a newbie wanna shoot his-self!

So anyhow, I'm exploring various techniques now.

If anybody has something figured out. Please share.

deadhp1

Re: Game Controller Support xBox360 PSX

Postby deadhp1 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:50 pm

Like the mk808 we'll have to compile xpad.ko from the kernel source code.
So it's a matter of getting some source code of the right version and compiling the module.

fwupow

Postby fwupow » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:23 pm

I tried this hack. The gude I linked to above omits an important detail.

After placing the xpad.ko file in the /system/lib/modules folder (I created the "modules" folder since it didn't exist).
In terminal emulator, you must first type "su" and hit Enter.
A dialog box will pop up asking if you approve to grant superuser privileges. Click on "YES"/"Grant"
The "$" prompt will turn into a "#" sign if you have root user access.
Now you need to type: insmod /system/lib/modules xpad.ko

If you're on the zealz GK802 you will now receive the happy news: (Exec format error)

Merry Christmas! You still don't have squat poo gamepad support.
Near as I can tell this hack was working on ICS very nicely for an entire year (which equals 10 computer years), so why not on the zealz GK802?

deadhp1

Postby deadhp1 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:45 pm

the xpad.ko needs to be compiled for the specific kernel version.
In the case of the mk808 and other rk3066 devices most of them use the 3.0.8+ kernel version.
So when I had compiled the xpad.ko for the mk808 it isn't problem to use it on other rk3066 sticks that have the same kernel version.
This file will NOT work for the gk802 because it has a different kernel version plain and simple.

fwupow

Postby fwupow » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:09 am

Thanks for your reply!
That's the gist of what I was getting with all my web-searching.
Sorry I didn't see your first reply there

I don't know enuf 2 criticize but it looks to me like there's some disadvantages to having everything locked up in the kernel vs the installable "driver" method used by Windows.

It looks like Jellybean will be coming out in near future. http://git.freescale.com/git/cgit.cgi/i ... 6-imx.git/
Would be nice if the xpad code would become a standard part of the Linux kernel. Can't imagine why anybody would leave it out.
Looks like it goes back 2 years --> https://github.com/dirkbehme/linux-imx6 ... t/xpad.txt

Anyway thanks for your hard work on all this stuff :D

deadhp1

Postby deadhp1 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:12 am

xpad support is in the kernel source. It just needs to be selected when you configure the kernel prior to compiling it.

fwupow

Postby fwupow » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:53 am

Wow so that is kind of even more depressing
I hav zero knowledge of any of this stuf
I shud hav known better than to keep digging, but this
Is the kind of thing that happens wen general non-Android
developer consumers can't get their game on!
They start trying to become overnight programmers.

Isn't it the zealz ppl who would've done the compiling?
Seems like a careless oversight.

Well anyway, here's to having a gk802 with dreamy firmware one day before it's rendered obsolete.

deadhp1

Postby deadhp1 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:31 am

It's not an oversight. xpad isn't normally enabled in the config.
The kernel source is full of options from controllers all the way to tv tuners!
Don't get discouraged about learning to compile kernels. Everyone has to start somewhere.

It probably won't take more than a couple of weeks to get some development going on the GK802.
I know a lot of developers have ordered it, so there will be custom kernels and firmwares.
Sample kernel source is available. We've got the config from the built in kernel.

It took quite a while to even get source code for the RK3066. So we are already a bit ahead with official source from freescale.
I wouldn't worry about this at all. It'll come.

fwupow

Postby fwupow » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:04 am

Nice to hear!
I'm not worried. I'm frustrated that the people who make these devices don't know better than to send them out the door without gamepad support and good video performance.
If ur gonna leave it up to the Android hacker community to finish the job then you might as well leave the OS unlocked/pre-rooted.
I'm not interested in becoming a programmer. I have enuf hobbies and don't have time for another but my impatience might get me started. That and the fact that I can't stand it when people keep doing stuff wrong.

Oh well, Samsung & Qualcom seem poised to make all our stick look like petrified Jurasic poo soon, so maybe I shud move on.

sakimotosan

Postby sakimotosan » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:25 pm

Compiling this is miles beyond my ability; would it be possible for someone who has the ability to compile xpad.ko for this kernel to do so and share with the forum?
I'm sure we are not the only ones looking for this, it's the one thing I am missing in turning my device into a portable gaming machine! :)

sakimotosan

Postby sakimotosan » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:10 am

deadhp1 wrote:It's not an oversight. xpad isn't normally enabled in the config.
Don't get discouraged about learning to compile kernels. Everyone has to start somewhere.

It probably won't take more than a couple of weeks to get some development going on the GK802.
I know a lot of developers have ordered it, so there will be custom kernels and firmwares.
Sample kernel source is available. We've got the config from the built in kernel.

It took quite a while to even get source code for the RK3066. So we are already a bit ahead with official source from freescale.
I wouldn't worry about this at all. It'll come.

hi deadhp1,

Firstly thanks for all the work on the firmware updates as well as the guides!
Do you know is there has been any progress regarding the availability of an xpad.ko module for this kernel or if it is planned?
I tried contacting geekbuying but got no response about this. I see a lot of people looking for this functionality so if it's possible to add this to a future update or provide the xpad.ko file it would be very much appreciated.

Thanks again!

sakimotosan

Postby sakimotosan » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:55 am

deadhp1 wrote:It's not an oversight. xpad isn't normally enabled in the config.

Hi deadhp1,

Can you recommend any good tutorials on how to compile the kernel with specific modules enabled?
Alternatively (and preferably) is there any way to just generate the xpad.ko file from the kernel source on it's own?

Thanks again!

Return to “GK802”