Soft Power Off?

momochan

Soft Power Off?

Postby momochan » Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:17 pm

deadhp1,

Does the GK802 soft power off?

If not, please add this feature to the list of possible improvements when you correspond with the folks over at Geekbuying.

Thanks!

acone

Re: Soft Power Off?

Postby acone » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:14 pm

I got the GK802 from Geekbuying in the mail a few days ago along with the RC13 Measy air mouse/speakerphone and the off button on the keyboard does work to do some sort of soft off on the device. When the device turns off the tv screen goes black but there is a blue light in the GK802 that remains illuminated. Pressing the power button on the RC13 does not turn on the GK802. I noted this both before and after updating the device with the firmware posted 12-15 on Geekbuying: http://blog.geekbuying.com/index.php/20 ... alz-gk802/ I dont know if the firmware was supposed to affect this but I wanted to note it didnt seem to make a difference where soft-off is concerned.

momochan

Postby momochan » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:08 pm

Thanks acone,

So it doesn't ask if you want to power down?

I believe that other devices with soft-power off also have to be rebooted manually (toggle the power off/on). It's just that I don't know what effect repeated hard power off would have on such a device without first soft-powering off?

fwupow

Postby fwupow » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:03 am

I just read some posts last night in another forum that simply unplugging these Stick PCs without first doing the Soft Power Down, not only can corrupt files but even brick the device.

So if you have the RC11, it's a very good idea to hit that powr butn and then unplug the wall wart or switch off power to the socket that the wall wart is plugged into.

People are having problems with the Micro USB or whatever proprietary connector the GK802 uses breaking off from the circuit board, so not a good idea to unplug and plug the power cable from the unit repeatedly.

momochan

Postby momochan » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:37 pm

fwupow wrote:I just read some posts last night in another forum that simply unplugging these Stick PCs without first doing the Soft Power Down, not only can corrupt files but even brick the device.

So if you have the RC11, it's a very good idea to hit that powr butn and then unplug the wall wart or switch off power to the socket that the wall wart is plugged into.

People are having problems with the Micro USB or whatever proprietary connector the GK802 uses breaking off from the circuit board, so not a good idea to unplug and plug the power cable from the unit repeatedly.

That's sound advice! I figured it wouldn't be wise to just pull the plug on any of these mini PCs without soft-powering down. In fact, it would be better just to leave it plugged in all the time (probably doesn't consume much electricity). Connecting it to a surge protected power bar with a switch would be best. Also, a powered USB hub would take the stress off the USB connector on the device.

I wonder if soft-power off works on a Mele F10 airmouse? I'm debating between this and the RC11.

Return to “GK802”