Kimdecent Droid Stick A2 with Amlogic 8726-MX dual core

dual core aml8726mx based android stick
Droidgirlsz

Kimdecent Droid Stick A2 with Amlogic 8726-MX dual core

Postby Droidgirlsz » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:10 am

From the day Droid Stick A2 release , we only see a few samples available for test purpose, but now it's available on Aliexpress store. and the price looks reasonable, only $53 with free shipping.

The main specification:
Amlogic AML8726-MX dual core 1.5GHz ARM cortex A9
1GB RAM 4GB RAM
Micro SD card slot
HDMI Full HD video output

The most interesting is that the Mini PC based on AMlogic 8726MX can run XBMC hardware decoding, lets see what can developer do on this.

Link: http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Kimdecent-Droid-Stick-A2-Android-Mini-PC-HDMI-Dongle-Amlogic-AML8726-MX-8726-M6-Cortex-A9/803232_742101205.html
Android Mini PC/ Phone / Tablet Store
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/803232

Naismith

Re: Kimdecent Droid Stick A2 with Amlogic 8726-MX dual core

Postby Naismith » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:20 am

Hi I'm talking with Kim...
XBMC support in this model is in the air, after Chinese sping holidays we don't see if works or not.
Wait for a serious review

deadhp1

Postby deadhp1 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:14 pm

I received this android stick today.
I'll post up a review after I use it for a bit.
So far from what I can tell it needs a Play Store fix, lots of apps are missing or not compatible with this device on the current firmware.

Naismith

Postby Naismith » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:39 am

deadhp1 wrote:I received this android stick today.
I'll post up a review after I use it for a bit.
So far from what I can tell it needs a Play Store fix, lots of apps are missing or not compatible with this device on the current firmware.

Perfect will see

Kim says big firmware update after chinese new year

mundraguda

Postby mundraguda » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:41 am

Hi,

I flashed my device with the latest kimdecent firmware g02refDongle-ota-20130201 and although the update went fine, I always get a connection time out on Google Play.

The wifi connection is strong as browser, youtube work without issues.

I tried the usual cleaning cache, forced start for google play and google play services to resolve the google play connection time out issue, but no luck.

Any help will be much appreciated.

mundraguda

Postby mundraguda » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:00 am

mundraguda wrote:Hi,

I flashed my device with the latest kimdecent firmware g02refDongle-ota-20130201 and although the update went fine, I always get a connection time out on Google Play.

The wifi connection is strong as browser, youtube work without issues.

I tried the usual cleaning cache, forced start for google play and google play services to resolve the google play connection time out issue, but no luck.

Any help will be much appreciated.

The new firmware seems to be pre-rooted.

kurjak

Postby kurjak » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:01 am

Naismith wrote:Kim says big firmware update after chinese new year

Any news about firmware update?

mundraguda

Postby mundraguda » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:54 am

kurjak wrote:
Naismith wrote:Kim says big firmware update after chinese new year

Any news about firmware update?

http://www.kimdecent.com/drivers/128.html

kurjak

Postby kurjak » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:14 pm

That's old fw...

maddy7

Postby maddy7 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:37 am

I'm using the FW from the link above on this device. I've got one of the keyboards below but could not get it to work. Has anyone got one of these sticks working with a wireless keyboard? It does say that it is compatible with 2.4Ghz wireless keyboards. The one below does work with windows and my Raspberry Pi so I assumed it would work with this stick.

http://www.smklink.com/products/wireles ... d-keyboard

Thanks

papayoyo

Postby papayoyo » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:56 pm

Yeah it works fine with one of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-Wireless-K ... 2a27498897

I've also got a logitech wireless mouse attached through an unpowered USB hub.

Shame there's no development going on with this stick, but it's pretty good as it is. Hardware decoding for XMBC would be nice.

maddy7

Postby maddy7 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:54 am

I ended up with one of these.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wireless-2-4G ... 3cd00d7b27

I'm using the latest Android XBMC 12.1 Frodo on the stick which is just a straight up .apk install rather than the earlier MXplayer install then XBMC. I'm still using the Raspberry Pi whilst I set this up though. So far it seems to run smoothly enough compared with the Pi it seems pretty much as smooth. I like the access to apps, internet etc you get with Android vs. Raspbmc. I'd recommend having library integration from any plugins on a memory card in the slot as I filled the internal storage up pretty quickly. I basically subscribed to our favorite TV programmes using a plugin which adds a .strm file for each episode to the library integration folder of the plugin. You can change the location within the plugin settings.

ukez

Postby ukez » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:23 pm

maddy7 wrote:I'm using the FW from the link above on this device. I've got one of the keyboards below but could not get it to work. Has anyone got one of these sticks working with a wireless keyboard? It does say that it is compatible with 2.4Ghz wireless keyboards. The one below does work with windows and my Raspberry Pi so I assumed it would work with this stick.

http://www.smklink.com/products/wireles ... d-keyboard

Thanks

I'm using this device with an earlier firmware than the one in the post above and im using it with a Logitech K400 wireless keyboard and it works great. I downloaded the official XBMC for Android found on the XBMC website, i downloaded it straight from the official website on to my Android MicroSD stick and it ran the install fine. It's pretty damn quick and very snappy.

The only issues im having at the moment with regards to XBMC is with the weather tab, and adding my local locations which wont take. I can search for the local city and they show but when I select them they wont add but apparently these can be added using the advanced tab if you know the code for your area.

The other thing I've found with XBMC which is quite annoying is with my WIndows 7 shares. For some reason this Android device can see one of my wIndows PC and its shares but It cant see another, even though its on the same network range, same workgroup, with the firewall switched off and even when I trt to added it manually using the right credentials.

Saying that, I downloaded an app which enables me to ping other devices from my Android and it pings the PC that it cant see in XBMC perfectly fine.... Strange!!!

Return to “Droid Stick A2”