Feedback on the A22 android stick.

aml8726m based android stick
Chris P Bacon

Feedback on the A22 android stick.

Postby Chris P Bacon » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:32 am

I've been looking around for an Android stick to run XBMC on.

I jumped in too early and purchased a 1st. Gen. MK802 and have been very disappointed that Allwinner have not released the source code to allow hardware acceleration in XBMC.

Then I came across this post which alerted me to the fact that Pivos released the code for the amlogic vpu so that any device with the Amlogic chip has hardware acceleration in XBMC.

My feeling is to go for the A22 which costs about US$55 delivered from Pandawill.

Does anyone here have the A22 or another Amlogic chip device and can give some feedback?

I have spoken to one guy who has the G box Dyno which appears to be a re-badge of the A22 and he says it runs well but that Android XBMC is still very beta and subject to some instability.

Is the A22 the best to go for or are there any better options?

darkhelmet

Re: Feedback on the A22 android stick.

Postby darkhelmet » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:20 am

Hi chris,

I took a plunge and ordered an ordered an A22 stick from DX.com a few weeks ago. Hopefully it will arrive in the next few weeks and I plan to test XBMC and see how it runs. I have seen videos of the similarly looking Gbox Dyno running XBMC and it doesn't look too bad. This is my first android stick so I am hoping it will be a fun toy. I have found out that the device doesn't come rooted to I am hoping that will be a simple thing to solve but will need to find a guide on how to root these devices.

Will post my thoughts.

Darkhelmet

darkhelmet

Postby darkhelmet » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:10 am

Some good feedback from another forum who has received one of these A22 units. He said wifi is good, performance is good, xbmc is slightly buggy but is due to the alpha nature of it and can only play items from usb or sd card, no chinese apps and can access google play store. So far, its looking very good. ;)

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/android- ... st15500686

darkhelmet

Postby darkhelmet » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:50 pm

Another mini review here with video:
http://www.j1nx.nl/smart-tv-stick/?utm_ ... HIHB5jyeRM

benogil

Postby benogil » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:26 pm

I am not sure if this applies to the stick mentioned, but if you want XBMC on Amlogic, here you go (still a work in progress ) - http://www.futeko.com/forum/index.php?mode=thread&id=5098

Bo.

Postby Bo. » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:35 am

I have a HDMI stick that looks alot like A22/GBoy dyno but not a branded version. I am getting dropped frames on 1080p videos (it plays really good but very and when I try often I notice frames being dropped) and if I play videos with XBMC it crashes at any of 15+ different builds/apk I tried (all different amlogic builds I could find on the net). Does anyone have any advice that could help me?

Kind regards,
Bo

deadhp1

Postby deadhp1 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:46 am

Anyone interested in the A22 should note that the A22 on dealextreme is now an allwinner a10, not the AML8726M3.
I'm not sure when exactly they changed the description, but they did.

Return to “A22/G-Box Dyno”