Tronsmart MK908 unboxing and review!

deadhp1

Tronsmart MK908 unboxing and review!

Postby deadhp1 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:20 pm

I'm reviewing the MK908 by Tronsmart. It's second next generation android tv sticks I've reviewed this week.
http://www.geekbuying.com/item/Tronsmar ... 15155.html

Much of this review is similar to the T428 review because the hardware itself is similar.

First off let's explore the specs of the MK908.

-Android 4.2
-Rockchip RK3188 quad core Cortex-A9 up to 1.8GHz(Probably underclocked 1.2-1.6ghz)
-quad core Mali-400 MP4
-2GB DDR3 @ 1333MHz
-8GB NAND Flash
-micro SD slot
-Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n
-Bluetooth – BT4.0
-Full size USB port
-mini usb OTG port
-mini USB for power
-female mini HDMI 1.4 port
-reset button(hidden)
-5V/2A usb power adapter
-micro USB cable
-male mini HDMI to male full size HDMI adapter cable

box5.jpg

box4.jpg

box3.jpg

box2.jpg

box1.jpg

access_box1.jpg

access_1.jpg

The Physical Casing:

The MK908 has nearly the same casing as the original MK808. Only the silkscreening has changed.
The case is a black plastic with a smooth soft finish. It often reminds me of the original Apple Newton Messagepad.
1.jpg

On the MK908 there is an extra mini usb port located on the side.
usb_side_1.jpg

The other side hosts a micro sd card slot.
sd_side1.jpg

On the end there's a full size usb port for mice/keyboards. Of course this port can always be used for a usb hub.
Located directly next to the full size usb port is the mini usb port used for power. At minimum a 5V/2A adapter should be used.
usb1.jpg

The end opposite of the usb ports contains the mini female HDMI port.
An adapter cable is provided to change this into a full size male HDMI port.
hdmi1.jpg

The reset button is hidden in the hole opposite the led light. It requires a pin to use it.

The Software:

Android 4.1.1 comes installed on the Tronsmart MK908. While not as up to date as the T428, it is still quite useful.
It will soon be updated to 4.2.

My MK908 had the following installed on it:
Android Version:
Build number:
mk908_100j1 15-04-2013
Kernel version:
3.0.36+ ouyang_V_100j1 #93 SMP PREEMPT Fri Apr 19 17:21:39 CST 2013

From the factory this version is rooted. So no issues here.
I expected it to be quick and wasn't let down. The RK3188 is clearly an excellent match.
At the current moment 720p is the only native resolution supported by the MK908.(1280x672 because of navigation bar)
It upscales or downscales this based on your tv. Futures software versions will be available in 1080p.
The included Play Store seems to be compatible with most apps I've searched for. The only exception being Speedtest.net

Media Playback:
The RK3188 plays back most media formats. I tested it with a variety of different files ranging from 600mb avi's to 10GB 1080p mkv's.
Even the VC-1 files I tried were supported.
I did notice some files tended to be a little jerky. Almost like some frames were being dropped.
This must be a software issue as the T428 I just tested had none of these problems. Of course it was on 4.2.2 vs the MK908 on 4.1.1.
DTS and AC3 both had no problems with playback. Although passthrough audio is not supported.
I haven't experienced and audio/video sync issues.

MX Player works great as an alternate player.
HBO Go would not play any videos.(T428 worked fine with HBO Go)
The current Play Store version of Netflix works fine on the MK908(The T428 needed an older version)

Even better news is the RK3188 seems to have some support for XBMC.
I was able to install the Experimental libstagefright build of XBMC. Playback was excellent for 720p files up to 2GB in size.
Higher resolution and bigger file sizes seem to cause dropping of frames. (This doesn't happen in the other video player software)
Since I mostly use XBMC for it's amazing plugins this doesn't cause a problem for me.

Performance:
I was able to run Antutu on the MK908 and scored a low score of 13844 and a high score of 14973.
All in all you can tell that this stick is blazing fast. Apps open instantly. Web pages are very fluid.
With 2GB of ram there is plenty of memory to spare.
The experience is much better than the previous dual core sticks. It's a great step up.

Wifi:
The MK908 supports 802.11 b/g/n networks.
My connection never showed higher than 65Mbps. This is common with the Broadcom wifi modules recommended by Rockchip.
Still 65Mbps is more than enough to saturate my FIOS connection. I've had no problem with wifi connection drops.
The only place where 65Mbps wasn't enough for me was streaming 8GB-10GB 1080p mkv's.
My solution was simple. I just used a usb ethernet adapter on the OTG port.

Conclusion:
I've very impressed by the MK908.
The software on the T428 is better than the MK908. I'm still more likely to choose the MK908 over the T428 because of the OTG port.
I only have 2 issues with it.
-I wish the wifi supported higher speeds.
-Jerky video playback.(most likely a software issue.)

More information about the Tronsmart MK908 can be found here:
http://blog.geekbuying.com/index.php/20 ... se-review/

You can purchase it through Geekbuying here:
http://www.geekbuying.com/item/Tronsmar ... 15155.html
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Tronsmart MK908”