Primal GV-20?

Forum for RockChip RK3066 based devices
SpEnTBoY

Primal GV-20?

Postby SpEnTBoY » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:58 pm

Does anyone know if the GV-20 has actually fixed the wifi issues?

From this site that has the gv-20 ...

"Lastly, the Primal GV-20+ will has an upgraded WIFI antenna and stronger WIFI signal than other generic dongles (better than MK808). Primal ensures the quality of each dongle stick as Primal stringently tests each unit before shipping. In addition, there will be a custom Primal GV-20 compatible ROM released shortly. Later firmware uprades will be free to Primal customers."

Seems like a big claim but I'm wondering if it's worth looking in to :?:

userx

Re: Primal GV-20?

Postby userx » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:56 pm

Do Not believe the sales pitch BS. It's simply marketing and you almost fell for it. This forum has one of the very few devs working on fixing the firmwares for these RK3066 devices. If they really had the best firmware version we would already have a copy of it. Deadhp is one of only two people actively supporting this mini PC community. The resellers have no software developers. They just sell you the product and go to any length to do it. Even lying to you.

SpEnTBoY

Postby SpEnTBoY » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:12 pm

userx wrote:Do Not believe the sales pitch BS. It's simply marketing and you almost fell for it. This forum has one of the very few devs working on fixing the firmwares for these RK3066 devices. If they really had the best firmware version we would already have a copy of it. Deadhp is one of only two people actively supporting this mini PC community. The resellers have no software developers. They just sell you the product and go to any length to do it. Even lying to you.

This is kind of what I thought ... it wasn't so much the software as it was the claim that the unit's WiFi antenna had somehow 'improved'. If they isolated the components better or printed the board different it's possible, but I haven't seen anyone show the inside of one of these yet. I'd really like to grab 3 or 4 units (of something) and use one to just develop on if I can find any time but I'd like to use a few in the house as media players. I haven't seen anyone get 1080p resolution working let lone over WiFi (currently I nfs mount all of my content to other Android or wdlxtv devices or use plex) but it seems like the 808 has more of a community that's for sure :D I guess I'll grab 3 or 4 MK808s. Was there still a group buy thing going on or are we just grabbing them from geekbuying?

(thanks for the response)

userx

Postby userx » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:13 am

Honestly the UG802 and MK808 firmwares in my opinion are still in beta. Both have bugs. I have been able to stream 1080p with Plex over wifi with the UG802. Had to use the antenna mod to get full a signal. The MK808 has many bugs. Read the forums here and wait for a stable update. Right now their is an audio/video sync problem with both units. I would hold off on buying 3 or 4 units until the devs get a stable firmware for either unit. But for sure test one out for yourself. I have a feeling other products will be coming out in the near future. Hopefully one with built-in bluetooth. But either way the devs always make android devices a whole lot better. :D

mrspin

Postby mrspin » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:35 am

I have a GV-20 and I am stuck with the 65mbps limit against my router which is capable of more (and my Uhost u1a device which connects at 130mbs)

So, the wirless advert is clear bulls@it.

These products are too immature and released too soon. This is the last device that I buy like this without it being proved first.

mrspin

Postby mrspin » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:51 am

has anyone had speeds > 65mbps from these types of devices?

this article makes me wonder..

http://www.acertabletforum.com/forum/ac ... 65mbs.html

userx

Postby userx » Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:40 pm

mrspin wrote:has anyone had speeds > 65mbps from these types of devices?

What is your method to test your speeds of 65mbps or 130mbps?
I could compare my unit to see what I achieve.

mrspin

Postby mrspin » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:34 pm

userx wrote:
mrspin wrote:has anyone had speeds > 65mbps from these types of devices?

What is your method to test your speeds of 65mbps or 130mbps?
I could compare my unit to see what I achieve.

speedtest.net app

using speedtest app on my MK808, I get roughtly 25mbps download, the same app on my uhost u1a device gets 34mbps and doesn't stutter when playing 1080P MKV's like the MK808 does. This is when both devices are connected to the same router same distance.

Return to “Rockchip RK3066”