[New player] MTBOX Media Player (Rockchip 3066)

Forum for RockChip RK3066 based devices
yangxi

[New player] MTBOX Media Player (Rockchip 3066)

Postby yangxi » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:55 pm

New model release "MTBOX"
by pineriver .

Rockchip 3066
MT5931 Wifi (without Bluetooth)

Stock firmware.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10146363/MT130124_40323.rar

:(
: this firmware is unrooted. Does anyone help me rooted it?

superslor

Re: [New player] MTBOX Media Player (Rockchip 3066)

Postby superslor » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:41 am

I also acquired a few of these boxes. I rooted them using the method I used on some of my older sticks before rooted firmware was available. First download and install this MoboRobo program... it's mostly for the drivers. Then the Tpsarky-vondroid root. This is basically a batch file that will do some things and root your device. You do need to be hooked up with a usb cable from the mt box to the pc.. USB A to A will work if you use the otg port. Here are the downloads.

http://www.hoaby.com/android/MoboroboSetup.rar

http://www.hoaby.com/android/TPSarky-VonDroid-Root.zip

Good Luck!

superslor

Postby superslor » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:17 am

Got some other stuff for ya. Here's an Imito MX1 image that loads properly on this unit, supports the wifi, and is rooted. It also supports flashing the rk3066 recovery linux kernels properly. Use the batchtool i have linked to as well.

http://www.hoaby.com/android/rooted_iMi ... 121129.zip

And here's the flash tool. You may be able to do the sdcard method for this update but I had success using the button on the back and the tool. Good Luck!!

http://www.hoaby.com/android/BatchTool.rar

Obviously my first post on this is negated by this one, but it still gives a guy a couple options.

p.s. thanks for the original firmware!!

tsukaza

Postby tsukaza » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:09 pm

Can you explain the reset button and how to use it to flash. Thanks.
I tried the sdcard method and it did not work.

MrFX

Postby MrFX » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:19 am

Hi,

hold the reset button pressed and plug in the unit with a usb cable, plugged into the OTG port, to your computer.
Then the computer should find a new device. You have to install the driver (inside the ROM-packages from Finless) and now you can use the flashtool.

Best wishes,
MrFX

tsukaza

Postby tsukaza » Mon May 06, 2013 2:05 pm

Some how my otg port is broken, non of my windows boxes can detect this device. I managed to flash cwd for Imito called MX1_CWM.zip to the box and it works with my wireless keyboard, now I got CWM working, but I get an error trying to flash rooted_iMito_MX1_V411_121129 or imito_mx1_finless_1_5. Any ideas. CWM refuse to apply the ROM. Thanks.

superslor

Postby superslor » Fri May 10, 2013 11:51 pm

I have 3 of these boxes. One of them gives me nothing but problems when I flash anything but the stock firmware.. the other two work with any mx1 firmware I throw at them. I can see no difference in these units so I have to figure it was either a flaw from the factory or something they changed early on in production. My problem unit is the first one I got, time-wise. I am, however, still able to root the stock firmware using the otg port and reset button, and then the vondroid tpsarky root tool.

Tablet_Collector

Postby Tablet_Collector » Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:56 am

A friend is having problems with Wifi disconnects on one of these boxes. Is there a specific MX1 fw that anyone can recommend to improve matters?

Thanks in advance,

GREENKID

Postby GREENKID » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:14 pm

I'm also having problems with the wifi. it keeps getting disconnected.

aarondr

Postby aarondr » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:05 pm

I just built a custom firmware image based on the stock dump from above. I tried the MX1 firmware's with little luck - and when they did work they would for a few minutes before a reboot. So here's a stock based rooted image that I made myself. Ripped most of the apps out, added build.prop changes, etc. Based on the rockchipfirmware.com dev tool package. Nothing fancy, but it's better than stock! :-)

I'm building this firmware mostly because I don't understand how to port anything newer atm. I've got a set of tools, and this is optimizing the stock rom to my purposes - hopefully you get some benefit out of it if you have one of these little devices. I've found mine to be quite useful now that I have more storage. The key to this ROM's modifications is - larger internal storage (2.5GB) at the expense of the SD card mount. However I've swapped the SD card mount with the External_SD card in the fstab, so in my case, I have 2.5GB internal storage for apps, and a 32GB SD Card for storage, and additional apps. Much more future proof than the paltry 500MB stock was partitioned at. The internal storage now only has 142MB available. I don't use it, so no problem to me. I can provide a different config if someone has a need.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/519jm9601bapk ... -MTBox.img - latest.

Issues:
  • I experience a sleep of death with the stock ROM. Not sure why, but I don't get any picture back. If you experience this, goto developer options and turn the 'Stay Awake' checkbox on.
  • Certain apps don't work. Quadrant doesn't seem to, Osmosis HD doesn't, but MaxPayne, GTA3, Cut the Rope, etc work fine. Seems like a really narrow scope of apps that have compatibility issues.
Change log:
  • 11-20-2013
    • Changed DPI to 120 (I use mine on a 1080p monitor at 2' distance, so this works better for me)
    • Modified Internal Storage partition to be 2.5 GB in size (up from 500MB which was limiting app installs)
    • Pretty much nuked the amount of storage on this device for the 'nand' - but see, this is ok, because the mount points for the Nand and external SD card are swapped (so apps gets defaulted to the SD card instead of the internal partition). Frankly - go out and get a 8GB SD or more, you can actually install GTA then :-).
  • 11-15-2013
    • Fixed root permissions - root now works
    • Change desktop background to a non-branded generic android background
    • Remove RK apps
    • Added ESFileExplorer, SuperSU, Asus weather widget, updated gallery app, anything else the 'add-apps' portion of the script seen above does
    • Boot animation is a stock nexus
    • SD card and internal flash mount points reversed - enables larger apps!

Return to “Rockchip RK3066”