Logitech C270 Webcam

szantinge

Logitech C270 Webcam

Postby szantinge » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:08 am

The Logitech c270 webcam works out of the box on the rooted and play store fixed ICS. Video and sound works right there in the Camera App. I didnt test it out for a long time, but it didnt give me any error.

The strange thing is, it doesnt work on the Jellybean versions. Not on the stock and not on the updated JB 4.1.1

I gues they will be adding more drivers in the next firmare update, at least I hope so.. (apart from the other fixes they have to make)

UPDATE:
After installing Camera ICS from the market it seems that is does work, for a second and then Camera App crashes.. But ive got animage! (Updated JB 4.1.1)

UPDATE:
I've got it working great now. Its working for me with the first kernel made by Kisz 720 and 1080 versions. Other than that I'm using a powered USB hub now. At first my cam would work for 2 seconds and then Skype would hang on me. This was caused by not enough juice. The firmware I'm using is the 1.6 finless bob version.

So 1.6 finless bob firmware with the first Kisz kernel's is the way to go for me. No more troubles at all. :D
Last edited by szantinge on Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kmunir

Re: Logitech C270 Webcam

Postby kmunir » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:58 am

Hi,

I am thinking of getting this camera as well. can you check any video conferencing app like skype/google+ to see if it works there as well on the updated JB (4.1.1) firmware as well (after installing the camera ICS app)?

szantinge

Postby szantinge » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:46 pm

kmunir wrote:Hi,

I am thinking of getting this camera as well. can you check any video conferencing app like skype/google+ to see if it works there as well on the updated JB (4.1.1) firmware as well (after installing the camera ICS app)?

Hi kmunir,

I did a test with Skype on the latest JB firmware. It was a short test, but everything worked. I had a video conference of 1minute without any hickups or errors.

Didn't test google+ yet.. I never use that but I`ll look into it. I suppose it will work too.

If anyone would like me to test anything with this webcam just ask, I'll look into it.

kmunir

Postby kmunir » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:49 pm

szantinge wrote:

Hi kmunir,

I did a test with Skype on the latest JB firmware. It was a short test, but everything worked. I had a video conference of 1minute without any hickups or errors.

Didn't test google+ yet.. I never use that but I`ll look into it. I suppose it will work too.

If anyone would like me to test anything with this webcam just ask, I'll look into it.

Hi thanks For checking out. Which port have you attached the webcam to? Is it the normal usb host or otg? Are you using any usb hub? How was the picture/video quality?

szantinge

Postby szantinge » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:30 pm

kmunir wrote:
szantinge wrote:

Hi kmunir,

Hi thanks For checking out. Which port have you attached the webcam to? Is it the normal usb host or otg? Are you using any usb hub? How was the picture/video quality?

I was a bit to fast in judgement, the sound doesnt appear to work in JB,it did in ICS (I recorded a video of myself, there was a stock camera app too).

Regarding picture quality, its not good, the camera hardware can do 720p, but it appears to use VGA-quality in Android JB. Ive opened the Camera JB+ apk and wanted to adjust quality and it was stuck at VGA. I have to keep in mind that I was testing on the evening, so I didnt have daylight to make a good judgement, but it should at least work at 720p and it didnt..

Whats also remarkable to me, the cam only turns on when u r using an app thats using the cam. On a windows PC the LED on the cam is always on, here it isnt. It does make sense of course, knowing android is a mobile OS, having the camera on all day on your mobile would drain the battery.. ;)

During a longer test of Skype it turned out not to be that stable. Skype itself keeps running, but the image gets stuck after a while, only thing to do is end the call and start over. So it does make a video call, it does work inittially (no sound yet), but its unstable.

All in all, there is a lot to improve on the stability. Also I hope in the next release they''l be adding an official camera app and better support. It did work better in ICS, but im running JB now so cant test the camera more on ICS now, if im going back any time in the coming weeks ill test it more intensivly and let you know the results.

kmunir

Postby kmunir » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:04 am

szantinge wrote:I was a bit to fast in judgement, the sound doesnt appear to work in JB,it did in ICS (I recorded a video of myself, there was a stock camera app too).

Regarding picture quality, its not good, the camera hardware can do 720p, but it appears to use VGA-quality in Android JB. Ive opened the Camera JB+ apk and wanted to adjust quality and it was stuck at VGA. I have to keep in mind that I was testing on the evening, so I didnt have daylight to make a good judgement, but it should at least work at 720p and it didnt..

Whats also remarkable to me, the cam only turns on when u r using an app thats using the cam. On a windows PC the LED on the cam is always on, here it isnt. It does make sense of course, knowing android is a mobile OS, having the camera on all day on your mobile would drain the battery.. ;)

During a longer test of Skype it turned out not to be that stable. Skype itself keeps running, but the image gets stuck after a while, only thing to do is end the call and start over. So it does make a video call, it does work inittially (no sound yet), but its unstable.

All in all, there is a lot to improve on the stability. Also I hope in the next release they''l be adding an official camera app and better support. It did work better in ICS, but im running JB now so cant test the camera more on ICS now, if im going back any time in the coming weeks ill test it more intensivly and let you know the results.

Hi, thanks again for doing another test. Did you hook up your camera to the normal USB host port or the mini USB OTG one? If you used a hub to attach the camera, was it powered or not? May be the camera is not getting enough juice for being powered up consistently? Can you also tell what other devices have you got connected to your MK808 (e.g. wired/wireless keyboard/mouse etc.)?

fjojofr

Postby fjojofr » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:46 am

hello
With the last rom 1.5A, my usb camera C270 works fine with all applications on the market. :D
It is plugged into usb otg.
By the usb hub powered 5V 3A, it does not work, only the otg mk808.
At the same time, the wireless keyboard also works without problem

palicaj

Postby palicaj » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:28 am

With the last rom 1.5A, my usb camera Logitech webcam C910 works!

tibox

Postby tibox » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:29 am

szantinge wrote:

Some news :) ?

Return to “Working Peripherals”