Wifi Dongle Edimax EW-7811UN

Wifi Dongle Edimax EW-7811UN

Postby nimo » Mon May 19, 2014 9:47 am

Hi all,

I have an MK808 and wifi is a big issue on this device
Don't want to use usb to ethernet (altough it works very well, its not the purpose of this new setup)

Can anyone tell me if there is compiled drivers/modules for this and how to install it please?

If this Edimax EW-7811UN is not the best wifi USB dongle, can you please recommend me one that works out of the box or has already compiled drivers/modules?

Thanks in adavance guys!

Re: Wifi Dongle Edimax EW-7811UN

Postby nimo » Wed May 21, 2014 6:49 am

I had to overwrite the existing rkwifi.ko module for the adapter to be picked up
Once picked up during boot, it takes couple of seconds to settle and show full speed but it is stable and much more usable than before!

for any other rtl8188 chip user with such chip in your wifi adapter, these are the steps I have followed

- MK808 needs to be rooted
- additional USB port should be available for wifi adapter

Steps to follow:
- No wifi adapter plugged in at the moment, very important otherwise the following is not going to work!
- Switch off wifi from android UI
- With Ex File Explorer as root, switched the folder system as RW (hold click on root explorer to see the option, if not make sure you are on the folder system)
- Back up existing rkwifi.ko to e.g rkwifi.ko.old
- Copy over the module rtl8192cu.ko to /system/lib/modules
- Change permission of rtl8192cu.ko by adding read access to group and other (via terminal: chmod go+r /system/lib/modules/rtl8192cu.ko)
- Change permission of rtl8192cu.ko to give root as owner and group (via terminal: chown root:root /system/lib/modules/rtl8192cu.ko)
- Rename module rtl8192cu.ko to rkwifi.ko
- Switch on wifi via UI and leave for few mins

The wifi adapater will then blink, if not wait few more mins, worst case reboot the device and wait for wifi to be picked up

I hope this helps

P.S Credit goes to the following guys: the module is from http://www.armtvtech.com/armtvtechforum/download/file.php?id=180 and this is the original help http://www.armtvtech.com/armtvtechforum/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=231&start=70#p3777,

Return to “Working Peripherals”