iNew i2000 Review

5.7 inch 720p IPS phablet based on the MTK6589 Quad Core processor.
1GB ram and 8GB nand.
Dew

Re: iNew i2000 Review

Postby Dew » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:50 pm

allanmac wrote:
I was surprised to get 3G service at my home on Tmobile. I wasn't expecting any service until I drove into town.
The iNew is limited in to 3G top speed. In the US it will only work on Tmobile and ATT.

@deadhp1, do you know what 3G frequency on TMO the i2000 managed to attach to? Is it 1900?

I always see the i2000 listed as only supporting 850/2100 so I'm surprised TMO is working at all. TMO USA is refarming 1900 MHz to 3G in many cities but that still doesn't explain why it works.

There have been numerous reports of the MTK6589 chipsets seeing T-Mobile 3G but never connecting. The fact is that any MTK6589 based phone is not going to support 1900MHz 3G, which is pretty sad. If you have AT&T or are using an AT&T MVNO(Net10, certain StraightTalk sims that are no longer sold.) you will be able to use 3G on the 850MHz towers.

I purchased the i2000 from Geekbuying and my wife has been using it for a week. There is no T-Mobile signal whatsoever where I live, only AT&T. This is not an issue for us since she does not use data. While I can see AT&T 2G and 3G just fine, I can only connect to 2G. This is expected for T-Mobile prepaid accounts, my iPhone does the same thing, EDGE only on the AT&T tower while my iPad does "4G" on the same tower.
Since 3G is not usable, I have disabled it.

Battery life on this phone is phenomenal. My wife never charges her phone because she doesn't use it all the time. I end up being the one to charge it for her. I am happy to report that the phone has been mostly in standby for over 75 hours and is down to 74% battery remaining. I'm planning on leaving it off the charger just to see how long it lasts. She only checks email and calendars on the phone once or twice a day, and talks to me on the phone for maybe fifteen minutes.

Settings:
-3G is disabled
-GPS is disabled
-BT is disabled
-WiFi is enabled
-2G is enabled on one SIM (Data disabled)
-The second sim is disabled.

I may do some 3G testing next week on Net10 and let you know how the speeds compare with my iPad 3.

P.S. The Net10 AT&T sims you get off ebay for a dollar will work fine. Net10 is owned by the same company as StraightTalk, they just decided to stop offering AT&T SIMs on StraightTalk, probably because they are charging $50/month for the same thing on Net10.

Dew

Postby Dew » Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:20 am

Attached are screenshots of my Speedtest results on AT&T "4G" (Net10 $50/month) as well as a shot at the battery meter after four days. The steep decline on the battery graph is from the speed testing yesterday where I was using the phone for about 30 minutes and pulled down over 70MB of data in speed tests.
Screenshot_2013-07-14-09-41-08.png

You will see one screenshot of a slow test, that is when I disabled 3G to demonstrate what EDGE is like(Look at the cell icon), that is the speed T-Mobile users can expect.
Screenshot_2013-07-13-18-16-48.png

The 3G was all over the place, but that is normal for where I am. These tests were generally better than I got on a 3GS or my iPad 3 on the same tower. The iPad never broke 2MBps.
Screenshot_2013-07-13-18-14-33.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dew

Postby Dew » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:52 pm

The final on the 2600mAh battery is seven days.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “iNew i2000”