iNew i2000 Review

5.7 inch 720p IPS phablet based on the MTK6589 Quad Core processor.
1GB ram and 8GB nand.
deadhp1

iNew i2000 Review

Postby deadhp1 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:25 am

I'm reviewing the iNew i2000 phablet as found at http://www.geekbuying.com/item/Inew-i20 ... 14413.html
576062429_068.jpg

First off lets get some background information on the iNew i2000.
It's one of a new breed of Chinese phablets featuring the Quad Core MTK6589 cpu.
The MTK6589 is composed of 4 Arm A7 cores running at 1.2Ghz and a PowerVR SGX544MP running at 300Mhz.

The specs for the i2000 are:

1.2Ghz MTK6589 quad core cpu
5.7 inch IPS display at 720p(1280x720)
1GB of ram
8GB nand
Micro sd card slot(up to 32GB)
Wifi b/g/n
Bluetooth
FM Radio
GPS
Front camera 3.2MP
Rear camera 8.0MP
2G:GSM850/900/1800/1900MHz; 3G:WCDMA850/2100MHz
3.5MM headphone port
Micro usb port
2600Mah batteries

As you can see the specs are very decent. They are fantastic considering the price!
The box includes Headphones(fm antenna), a micro usb cable, user manual, usb charger(EU style), EU to US plug adapter, iNew i2000 phablet, and two 2600Mah batteries.
It's all packed pretty securely.

Unboxing Pics:

In the bubble pack.
01.jpg

Top of box.
02.jpg

Bottom of box.
03.jpg

Box opened for the first time.
04.jpg

Under the manual. Showing the i2000.
05.jpg

Under the i2000. Showing the accessories.
06.jpg

Everything laid out.
07.jpg

iNew i2000 front.
08.jpg

iNew i2000 rear. No battery/backplate
09.jpg

Rear with battery.
10.jpg

Rear with backplate.
11.jpg

When I first opened the iNew i2000 I was expecting to be greeted by such a large screen.
It actually dwarfs the Samsung Galaxy S3. The i2000's screen alone is about the same size as the entire S3.
It's a tiny bit thicker than the S3.

S3 vs i2000
S3_vs_iNew_a.jpg

S3_vs_iNew_b.jpg

The iNew i2000 fits easily into my jeans pocket or even my shirt pocket. I'd say that this is the largest I could go in screen size without running into issues.

I took out all the materials and began my journey. I placed one of the included batteries into the i2000 and snapped the backplate into place.
It has a quality feel to it. The backing is very secure and doesn't leave any gaps.

After assembling the i2000 and charging for about 1 hour to reach 100% battery I was ready to start it up.
First boot took about 45 seconds. Subsequent boots have generally take less than 10 seconds.

The screen.

It's a bit unreal to me to see such a nice screen on a portable device. The colors are rich and vibrant.
Video looks amazing.
The touchscreen is capable of 5 points and very accurate.
Thumb typing on this screen feels like a perfect fit.
I'd say that the 5.7 inch screen is the perfect size for me.

The interface.

Stock my iNew i2000 came with Android 4.1.2. The launcher has a grid size of 4x4 icons.
Everything feels fluid even at 1280x720. Apps open instantly. Switching screens is just as it should be.
I'm very pleased that it came with a touch Home button instead of a physical one.(I've had physical buttons break)
Infact it comes with 4 touch buttons. Menu, Home, Search, and Back.
There is also a volume rocker and power button located on the left side of the phablet.

Wifi.

I had no issues getting setup on any of my routers.
In general I connect at 135Mbps to 150Mbps
Wifi range is better than my S3. I'm able to pick up wifi from my neighbors house easily.

Loudspeaker.

I planned to use this for media playback and as a speakerphone. It's loud enough for both tasks.
Sounds are clear at the highest volume with no crackling or distortion.
It's a bit of a toss up whether the S3 has a louder speaker or not...I think they are just about equal.

Included Apps.

Everything came in English. The Play Store loaded right up without needing to be fixed.
It also included Navigation, Maps, and Talk.
I was pleasantly surprised by the built in FM Player app which also allows you to record .ogg files from your favorite FM Stations.

Fm Player.
fm1.jpg

Camera.

The rear camera was a bit of a letdown. Some sites report it as being 13MP others report 8. So it's probably using interpolation to get those figures.
It seems to have issues auto focusing too quickly. Getting a clear picture requires a steady hand otherwise it will try to refocus right away.
This could probably be fixed in software. I'm hoping it will get better in the coming 4.2 update.
Low-light photo aren't that great. The built in flash doesn't do much at all.
I wasn't expecting amazing pictures, but for a quick snap it works pretty decent.

GPS.

I was having issues with the GPS at first, but open skies and waiting about 15 minutes finally got me 6 satellites.
Now connecting only takes about 3-5 minutes.

Battery.

The battery life is really good. This is where the MTK6589 really shines. Those A7 cores are very power efficient.
My first charge lasted over 15 hours with plenty of wifi and video playing. Standby time seems to be around 2 days.
I'm still working out how much life it actually gets, but I can compare it with the S3.
I fully charged both devices and let them run. By the time the S3 complained about 15% battery I still had over 50% on the iNew.

Cell reception.

I was surprised to get 3G service at my home on Tmobile. I wasn't expecting any service until I drove into town.
Normally cell phones come here to die. I live in a pretty bad deadzone.
The iNew is limited in to 3G top speed. In the US it will only work on Tmobile and ATT.
The microphone is decent and according to the other party on my test calls my voice was loud and clear.
The built in speaker works well, although as usual it is a little awkward holding it up to my ear.
The loudspeaker is great. I didn't experience any echo.

Video Playback.

I have a whole folder of files I try on every device I own. Some of these are very high bitrate.
-AVI--hardware decoded no problem
-MP4--hardware decoded no problem
I had some issues with MKV playing in hardware decoding mode it was hit or miss. Software mode was great including some 720p 4-8GB MKV's.
AC3 and DTS have to be played with software.
Audio was in sync for all files I played.
VC1 didn't play in hardware decoding mode. Software only.
The MTK6589 seems to be just powerful enough to decode 720p in software mode.
HBO Go played perfectly.
Netflix seems to be a problem for the MTK6589. I experienced smooth half speed video and audio.(other MTK6589 phone have the same problem)
Youtube looks and sounds great in 720p HD.

Performance.

My latest Antutu score is 12149. The first run I managed to pull a 13531.
Everything is snappy. I expected the performance to be worse, but have been surprised.
Web browsing/scrolling is quick. I installed flash from the adobe archives and even that seems to be working well.
I'm happy to report that the iNew does NOT heat up while under extreme use.

End Results.

I'm in love with this phablet. I wouldn't hesitate to buy it again.
My only complaints are about the camera/flash, and the netflix issue.

I'm looking forward to start modding it. I'll be rooting it shortly.
I've also ordered several screen protectors and a flip case.

The iNew i2000 can be purchased at geekbuying:
http://www.geekbuying.com/item/Inew-i20 ... 14413.html
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

pellemando

Re: iNew i2000 Review

Postby pellemando » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:25 am

Superb review!

Now you got me thinking of this one, you did not feel any lags or any other slowness?

deadhp1

Postby deadhp1 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:56 am

Thanks!
I've experienced no lags or slowness whatsoever. It's been fast smooth sailing.
If there is any free apps you specifically want tested just let me know.

pellemando

Postby pellemando » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:41 pm

none that I can think of, some remote apps, for the TV stick only since this is the main reason i get one of these :P

and to learn to make custom roms and other stuff, since I am feed of iphone modding ans such, time to change the point of the light

tj2

Postby tj2 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:49 pm

Great review, thanks. Do you know if there's a way to disable lights/vibrate on the 4 buttons?

pellemando

Postby pellemando » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:19 pm

Just one thing, what does the "search/magnifier glass" button do?

deadhp1

Postby deadhp1 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:49 pm

When on the home screen it brings you to the search bar.
From a browser it brings down the URL bar and pops up the keyboard.
In HBO Go it launches the search bar
I find it pretty useful. It's something that used to be on most android phones.

SOADchop

Postby SOADchop » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:39 am

GREAT(!!!) review. Thanks.
You wrote GPS connection takes 3-5 minutes. Surprising as A-GPS enabled devices usually work connect in around 20 secs.
But then again - you said GSM reception is bad in your area, so mabe few antennas.

for comparison - how long does it take the S3 to connect to GPS? Is it much quicker than the i2000?

deadhp1

Postby deadhp1 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:27 am

My Samsung GS3 also take 3-5 minutes to connect to GPS. My Motorola Photon takes about 10 minutes. My Acer A100 tablet took nearly 45 minutes the first time, now it also takes about 3-5 minutes. I think it's the trees that hurt the GPS and cell reception.
Most cell phone reception is bad by me. I live in this little area that the cell providers claim is perfectly covered, but for about 5 square miles you get almost nothing.
I've recently been approached about having a cell antenna put on my land so hopefully my situation will improve.

SOADchop

Postby SOADchop » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:37 pm

Thx :)

I ordered mine 2 days ago and am awaiting shipment - so your review really made my day.

"The rear camera was a bit of a letdown. Some sites report it as being 13MP others report 8. So it's probably using interpolation to get those figures."

I purchased the 8MP cam model too, and just like you I thought this was unimportant and 13 was just interpolation - but according to the official site at http://www.inewphone.com/eng/pDetails.asp?id=51 they have 3 options for camera - 5,8 and 13MP, so maybe they do differ. I saw vids where Antutu showed it as 13MP - what does it show for you?

Also - found out that the iNew is made by the same company that makes THL - supposedly it's much better quality than the Star S7589.

PS
The official site states: "Nobleness and dignity that cannot be concealed" and "highly competent gentleman demeanor", lol
You wrote it fits in your pockets - would be interesting to see how I manage with my phone, as I am a petite-sized female.
Last edited by SOADchop on Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

deadhp1

Postby deadhp1 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:49 pm

I think you'll enjoy your i2000. It's pretty nice.
Antutu reports 12.6MP for me also, but that's with interpolation. Kudos to Geekbuying for not inflating the camera specs.

Yeah Changjian makes the ThL phones and some others as well. I've read that iNew is a new brand created by Changjiang.

I'm pretty sure that the iNew i2000 is the upgraded version of the Changjiang n7300(mtk6577 dual core).
The accesories for the n7300 should fit the i2000.
I ordered a flip cover for the n7300 and grabbed some screen protectors off of aliexpress.
http://www.geekbuying.com/item/Protecti ... 13612.html
When they get here I'll know if they fit or not.

deadhp1

Postby deadhp1 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:44 am

I been testing out the available root methods. HTCMania has a pretty decent selection so far.
http://translate.googleusercontent.com/ ... wgcZKegUdw
I just didn't like going through that much flashing. Plus the provided root file has SuperSUpro in chinese.

So I've just finished making a somewhat custom rom that includes root, and cwm recovery.
So far the changes I've made are:
-edit boot.img to change ro.secure=1 to ro.secure=0
-added rootexplorer.apk, SuperSU.apk, and /bin/su
-changed recovery.img from stock to the cwm recovery.img

It installs just like the stock rom does using sp flash tool.
I'll be uploading the rom and a flashing guide within the next day or 2 after I finish a little testing.
So far everything is working great.
I still want to test the extended app space mod and see if I can add it in to the rom.

I'm also planing on a small guide for editing the stock system.img/boot.img and getting them setup for flashing.

Kiwi

Postby Kiwi » Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:48 am

@deadhp1
Thanks for the review. I'm definitely of getting an mtk6859 phone, which one is the big question.

What were you using to play video and audio?

Have you tried xbmc? If so how is the performance?

Cheers.

Kiwi

lefizz

Postby lefizz » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:15 am

Looks like a great phone for the money. I have been using a Chinese phablet for the last 6 months, a Hero version of the Zopo zp900 and its easily the best phone I have ever used. I was given an iPad mini for Christmas and its embarrassing how little I have used it.
Everyone thinks Samsung having defeated Apple are going to now run the smart phone market but with the newer mediatek chipsets I really think many of these Chinese brands can compete.
Mine for example does absolutely everything I want flawlessly. The camera isn't great but not bad and 3d games are a bit tough for it i couldn't care less.

I'm sure the new quad core fixes one part. With a good camera module these would be as good as anything else.

Of I was a big brand Android phone maker I would be bloody frightened right now.

Sent from my unknown using Tapatalk 2

deadhp1

Postby deadhp1 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:06 pm

Kiwi:
I've been using MX Player as my main go to video player. It works quite well. Some files may need to be played back in software mode, especially over the network.
As for XBMC support I've been trying the various libstagefright experimental builds and it only plays sound. No video with hardware decoding enabled.
So most likely the stagefright implementation on the MTK65xx chips is a little weird.
The MTK6589 is powerful enough to playback some smaller 720p videos in XBMC software mode, but MX Player works much better alone if you're going to use software mode.
I due use the external player enabled XBMC with MX Player with not too many issues besides network playback.

lefizz:
I agree that these MTK6589 phones/phablets are amazing now. The specs are great, and the build quality is quite good. I haven't even looked at my 7" tablet since I got the i2000.
Funny that you mention Zopo, as I just added the Zopo ZP980 to the forum and am considering picking one up to review.
I'm eagerly awaiting several models to be released(iOcean X7 and Neo N003), but also looking forward to the 8-core mediatek processor due out sometime this year.
If you're still running the MTK6577 or MTK6575 dual core processors you'll be pleasantly surprised by the speed of the MTK6589. It's a very nice upgrade in power.

lefizz

Postby lefizz » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:08 pm

I have been looking but I must resist. A new phone every 6 months for the last 2years is getting embarrassing.

To be honest I wish mediatek would concentrate more on the graphics core rather than so many cpu cores but I imagine the licensing cost are a lot higher and given the retail price of the phones they go in I understand why.

It really is amazing what you get get for the money, check out the new Tronsmart Ts4 , a decent looking quad core phablet for £100. Ridiculous prices really. It cost me £140 to get my missus iPhone 4s unlocked last year.

Sent from my unknown using Tapatalk 2

deadhp1

Postby deadhp1 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:36 pm

So I had previously mentioned that the iNew i2000 was the upgraded version of the Changjiang N7300 and that some accessories would fit.
Well today I received the N7300 Flip Cover case I ordered from Geekbuying.
http://www.geekbuying.com/item/Protecti ... 13612.html

It fits perfectly! I finally have a way to carry around the i2000 without worrying about the screen.
I ordered the cover in grey because my i2000 is white and I wanted a 2-tone look. Pictures coming soon!

The flip cover is actually a replacement for the battery cover with a flip cover attached to it.
It does make the phone a TINY bit thicker, but not really noticeable.
What is noticeable is that the camera no longer protrudes out the back of the i2000. Instead it is nearly flush if not sunken in slightly.
I'm much more comfortable laying the phablet on it's back now.
The extra added thickness also make me think it would be possible to run the 3200mah battery from the N7300. I'll be ordering that battery soon.

I still have some screen covers on route to me and will post up when I receive them.

Gazdaman

Postby Gazdaman » Tue May 07, 2013 8:29 pm

Hey deadhp1
Thanks for your review of this phone.
I decided to buy one based on what I read and my i2000 arrived yesterday.
I am very happy with what I have seen so far with it.

Just wondering if you ever bought and tried the 3200mah battery on it?
Mine came with 2x2600mah batteries and I wouldn't mind increasing the capacity of it if there is room inside the flip case.
If so, can you tell me where you bought the battery from?
Thanks
Gazdaman

deadhp1

Postby deadhp1 » Sat May 11, 2013 2:04 am

I haven't received the battery yet. I ordered from a seller on aliexpress and the listing is gone now.

The flip case provides enough room for a larger battery. I've been the flip case everyday.

Heads up!
I also just got some matte screen protectors for the the changjiang N7300 and they fit the iNew i2000 perfectly.
I prefer the feel of the matte finish and it tends to keep the i2000 from acting like a mirror.
I'll probably throw some of them on ebay since I had to purchase 50 of them.

allanmac

Postby allanmac » Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:27 pm

I was surprised to get 3G service at my home on Tmobile. I wasn't expecting any service until I drove into town.
The iNew is limited in to 3G top speed. In the US it will only work on Tmobile and ATT.

@deadhp1, do you know what 3G frequency on TMO the i2000 managed to attach to? Is it 1900?

I always see the i2000 listed as only supporting 850/2100 so I'm surprised TMO is working at all. TMO USA is refarming 1900 MHz to 3G in many cities but that still doesn't explain why it works.

If you're actually seeing 3G, could you do a speedtest?

The reason why I ask is that there seems to be a variant of the iNew i4000 that iNew claims runs on WCMDA 850/900/1900/2100.

If there is any chance this will actually work in the USA then ~$250 for a 5" FHD screen is rather compelling!

Thanks!

Return to “iNew i2000”