Do I have a newer MK808 v2?

Hardware Mods For the MK808.
MRAB

Do I have a newer MK808 v2?

Postby MRAB » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:00 am

Here are some photos of the board, I have read before that there are 2 flying leads for the antennas but one side of the board has 2 spring pins see photos.

http://tinypic.com/r/s1lwjl/6

http://tinypic.com/r/2u6mxwo/6

As for performace on wifi it is only good when its gets full signal and will stay at approx 64mbs, if it drops below full strength it can soon drop to 5mbs.
It doesn't appear to get a good signal unless the device is very close to the router.
It came in a black box with a jelly bean logo on the front and a 5v 2a power supply, I am happy to say this runs a 1tb external portable harddrive ok without a powered usb hub. If I switch the power supply to my htc 5v 1a power supply it won't run the harddrive so needs this 2a supply or powered usb.

I am yet to try the 1.5a firmware as it has the latest 27/october/12 software.

I would be happy to try any hardware modifications to increase the wifi signal. I am confident with a soldering iron. I have checked out the coax cable and the soldering on the wired side and everthing looks ok.

MRAB

Re: Do I have a newer MK808 v2?

Postby MRAB » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:17 am

I have tried desoldering a pad to check out the that the coax connection was good and it was there is no short with the pad removed. Check out the solder connections on the pad alone and they are dead short as expected. I have also tried running with the spring pin side removed and again it runs bad dropping to 5mbs. Connect the 2 pin side back up and it works ok again near the router. I would like to run one sided by fitting an external antenna but guess I would need a shorting link between the 2 spring pads. What do you think????
I am happy to try anything?

craleu

Postby craleu » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:04 pm

Your boards 100% different than mine lol

sn0w

Re: AW: Do I have a newer MK808 v2?

Postby sn0w » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:20 pm

Thats often the problem with chinese products.... all have the same name but often they do a copy of a copy of a copy of a product. Saw this often with chinese race quads and trust me that was much more dangerouse than a notvworking wifi :wink:

Gesendet von meinem GT-P7500 mit Tapatalk 2

vampirex

Postby vampirex » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:21 pm

I have the same one.

Bought mine from merimobiles.com

I'm speculating that its a GV-20.

See my posts below:
http://armtvtech.com/armtvtechforum/vie ... ?f=6&t=452

with pictures:
http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.php? ... 8Inside%29

MRAB

Postby MRAB » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:53 am

It was advertised as a mk808 when I purchased it and the software looks exactly like all other mk808's, the gv20 looks like it has different software and promises a gv20 specific update.

BooLE

Postby BooLE » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:34 am

Guys, it is mk808, an it is produced by the same factory. there is my post on this forum where I share info from factory about releasing new hardware revision, mainly because of the poor wifi performance.

http://www.armtvtech.com/armtvtechforum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=332&p=1581#p1581

Sent from my MK808 using Tapatalk 2

ShuttleMunky

Postby ShuttleMunky » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:11 pm

I have the exact same device. It came with a newer 4.1 rom 720p no stretched. Wi-Fi was always 65mbps and never dropped whatsoever.
And rooted Finless 1.5a rom and still no drop problem with it. still 65mbps though.

We might have received the new upgraded wifi fixed device.
Also i have a few questions. How can i connect to my windows pc through network? It asks for username and password but i dont use such stuff on my pc.

And i also noticed that t he device is a little bit slower with finless rom compared to the stock.

white-enochian

Postby white-enochian » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:07 am

you will need to set a password on your pc to be able to remote into your username is the name it shows at the top of your startmenu i use 2x client app on my mk808 to view my pc. othere programs i dont thing need the user name password. ez file explorer allows you to see open or move any files on a pc connected to the same lan.

i must have a newer mk808 to
got mine a week ago from an usa seller

wifi is perfect i live in an appartment theres a bathroom and a bedroom inbetween my tv and my bed room where the router is i have full bars sometimes 3 bars.

it came rooted and i believe its the latest firmware .

how to tell if im running finless rom?

joahfitzgerald

Postby joahfitzgerald » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:32 am

My MK808 has the pins as well, and I have no idea how to make the wifi work consistently enough to even use google play. I am considering removing the ground wire to see if that works.

T68

Postby T68 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:12 am

Im curious about which version I have but I don´t now if it is safe to crack my mk808 open to check... How do you do that the best way?

vampirex

Postby vampirex » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:08 am

T68 wrote:Im curious about which version I have but I don´t now if it is safe to crack my mk808 open to check... How do you do that the best way?

It's really easy to open.. but be careful, as its really easy to rip the antenna wire off. (Not that I have done it, but I hear people have been)
Use a flat head screw driver and pry open near the hdmi connector side.
Then slightly prying along the sides, and gently opening it and inspecting it to see if you have an antenna wire on both side.

Tbh, there is no real benifit on opening up the device, unless you plan on modding the antenna.
I would just leave it closed, just to be safe.

Happy Modding :)

mortdog

Postby mortdog » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:33 pm

I got my device last week with one antenna connected via cable and the other one attached to two pins. My wifi performance seem not as bad as some reports suggests here were wifi is barely useable. Though, it is performing about 10-15 % of a 65 mbit connection. So I utilize about 6-10 mbit, which is not really enough to stream hd-contect in a smooth way. I don´t know what people actually suggest when talking about stable 65 mbit connections. Does it show up at 65 mbit when you put som load on the wifi?
I often have 3-4 bars and connected with 65 mbit to my router. But as soon as I begin with some heavy transfer tasks it immediately drops to about 39 mbit or even as low as 9 mbit.

Also, when downloading torrents I have noticed that the speed is really jumping up and down between 0 - 2 MB /sec. Why this is occurring is a mystery.

On this later models with two different antenna connections, it seems more like it is a firmwire problem rather than a hardware issue. I really hope that someone can dig into this and find a way to come around this.

/ Martin

joahfitzgerald

Postby joahfitzgerald » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:47 pm

Many have stated in other threads that if you remove the ground wire from the antenna then it should work better, I am going to attempt to remove solder from the ground wire pin, and I am goin to place electrical tape over the groung pin on the opposite side with the pins.

jaapschaap

Postby jaapschaap » Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:51 am

You can put a little sticker on the antenna with the pins so the ground wouldn't connect to trie it out!

But with my (V2) MMK808, the antenna with the pins is mutch better, i get 3 wifi-stripes, with the soldered one 1i get only 1 stripe and its unusable (gonna replace it with router antenna, but first trying without ground tonight)!

joahfitzgerald

Postby joahfitzgerald » Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:10 am

So after all of that, I decided to purchase a USB to Ethernet adapter and it works, however, when I try to log into the store it says no connection and asks to retry in vein. The wires are obviously soldered together on the opposing side which is why i'm sure I was having a wifi issue, I am borrowing a soldering iron small enough for circuitry tomorrow with the intent to remove the ground connection on the wired side.

My only problem now is that I still can't use the store or log in to anything even with a usb ethernet adapter. (plain browsing is much faster and stable now however) Maybe I should try some custom firmware this time? I just worry that with the new changes in hardware if the custom firmwares work without a problem or not.

tashkas

Postby tashkas » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:05 am

i never had wifi issue with my mk808. but my router close to dongle.

Return to “Hardware Mods”