Summary of all wifi mods

Hardware Mods For the MK808.
Enoshima

Summary of all wifi mods

Postby Enoshima » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:48 am

Since there are seven different topics about different wifi fixes, I want to make a summary of the different options and what does what.
The search for all different solutions also helped me decide on what I wanted to do for a fix.

So to start there are two different models of the MK808 (three if you include the MK808B, but that has it's own subforum).
I only have the second version, so I will be using other peoples pictures (from this board and always with credit)

The first version has two antennas connected by wire, I will be calling this version 1. The bottom side looks like this:
Image (image from lauriv)

The second one has one antenna connected by wire and one by pins, the bottom antenna is connected by pins.
The bottom of this version 2 looks like this:
Image (image from joahfitzgerald)

The difference also brings us to the first fix to improve the wifi signal (thanks to lauriv).
The second antenna, near the OTG port is connected by an improper divider of 0Ohm.
Removing this resistor (as shown above in the version 1 picture) will disconnect the second antenna, but improve the signal.
In version 2 this resistor is not there and that means that the second antenna on version 2 isn't even connected.

The next possible improvement is to replace the first antenna.
On version 1 the anntenna seems to be rubbish (I don't have version 1 so I can't test it).
On version 2 it isn't bad, but it isn't good either.

There are three posibilties for replacing the antenna. Two versions of replacing it by a simple wire and replacing it by a SMA connector/external antenna.
If you decide to leave on the 0Ohm resistor, you should replace both antennas. (even though my test showed a great drop in connectivity with the 0Ohm connection restored).
The first two are a pretty easy fix and only require a soldering iron and some wire.
The third version is a bit more work, but will result in a cleaner look (no external wires).

The three possibilities are as follows:
1: a single 6,3cm wire (0,25mm solid copper) to the antenna pad (by asys3)

2:A single 12cm wire between the antenna pad and ground pad (by Dero)
Bend the "ear" in a shape like this:

Code: Select all

GND ANT

3: an external antenna. This can be an antenna from an old router, or a seperate sma connector and antenna. (several people have mentioned this solution)
First is an old router antenna (by sn0w)

And then two external sma connectors by wednesday.
Since I have version 2 with the second antenna already disconnected, I cannot test if two antennas is better, the same or worse than one antenna.
Here is a link to a 1,49$ sma pigtail connector with a thin wire (with free shipping worldwide)
http://www.eforchina.com/view/6171/U.fl---IPX-to-RP-SMA-female-pigtail-for-wifi-network--Cable-Length--18cm.htm

They also have cheap antennas here, make shure to select an (RP) SMA antenna. (starting at just over 3$)
http://www.eforchina.com/product/default!search.do?categoryId=13&lowerPrice=&upperPrice=&propOptions=&advSearch=false&orderBy=lowerPrice&desc=false&keyword=2.4ghz

Here are some images of connecting the pigtail by wednesday.
The pigtail soldered:
Wire routing inside (and the need for a THIN pigtail wire):

Personally I think that if you have the time and skills, you should go for the last solution, the external SMA connector.
If you have version 1, you should also remove the 0Ohm resistor as this will increase the signal strength.
This will give you a better signal and still leaves some of the portability because the antenna can be removed.

Thank you all people who try to make this great device even better.
Special thanks to Finless for providing a great and stable firmware that is still getting better.

sn0w

Re: AW: Summary of all wifi mods

Postby sn0w » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:06 pm

Great post and thx for credits :grin: well like i can see in my own pic... i dont have the resistor and i didnt remove it :shock: i have v1 with 2 antennas... oh and there was one more possibility to increase wifi... change a file... but cant remember which one... have to search through the threats...
Next question is, if removing the resistor deactivate the bottom antenna, how can maves mod work? Like you can see in his pic here viewtopic.php?t=1195 he only soldered the bottom one and dont has the resistor too :shock:

Gesendet von meinem GT-P7500 mit Tapatalk 2

Enoshima

Re: Summary of all wifi mods

Postby Enoshima » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:19 am

sn0w wrote:Great post and thx for credits :grin: well like i can see in my own pic... i dont have the resistor and i didnt remove it :shock: i have v1 with 2 antennas... oh and there was one more possibility to increase wifi... change a file... but cant remember which one... have to search through the threats...
Next question is, if removing the resistor deactivate the bottom antenna, how can maves mod work? Like you can see in his pic here viewtopic.php?t=1195 he only soldered the bottom one and dont has the resistor too :shock:

I don't know why you don't have the 0ohm resistor, perhaps there are three versions. I only have version 2 so I cannot see what version 1 does and does not have.
As for why your antenna fix works, the bottom antenna is the one that keeps working, the top one, next to the OTG port stops working.

Software is also dependent on which rom e.t.c. is used, that is why I did not mention it.

sn0w

Re: AW: Summary of all wifi mods

Postby sn0w » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:01 pm

Hmmm but i resoldered the top antenna first and wifi was much better... the bottom one i did 2 weeks later and nothing changed through this

SkipF

Postby SkipF » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:01 am

I removed the foil antennas from my MK808, added a 'popsicle stick' antenna I got from ebay china.
I had no problems running the cable out of the case since I made a big hole in the case for 'RAM
Heatsinks' I mounted over the cpu heatsink. My router now reports a signal improvement of 14 dB;
from -82 to -68dBm.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

player911

Postby player911 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:05 pm

Here is mine:

Return to “Hardware Mods”