Calling testers - for Picuntu RC3 - Kernel only

Discuss all about development, wishlists, bug reports. This is also the forum, where you would hear announcements of new updates, releases.
aloksinha2001

Calling testers - for Picuntu RC3 - Kernel only

Postby aloksinha2001 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:40 am

Dear friends,

I am now (almost) ready with the basic kernel for Picuntu RC3... and would require your help in testing it out on as many situations as possible.

Changelog - Kernel - 3.0.8-alok+
- Cleaned the previous kernel
- Removed unwanted TV Tuner cards
- Bluetooth support retained
- All cpufreq governors now available - Try userspace, and hav fun.. (Read warning below)
- Default governor Ondemand
- Added Serial modules - FTD-SIO, pl2303, Garmin - for serial devices,
- Added Phone modems - For connecting Data card dongles
- Added UVC Camera support - Many users have been asking for this
- Added oprofiler support
- Added iptables
- Added NAT/Firewall (inc GRE) support - Now you can make your PicUntu a complete firewall
- Added USB 1.0 support - remember how your old USB hubs were not being used for bootup, well they _should_ work now.
- DW_OTG debug report suppressed
- Added USB SCSI adapter - I have lots of SCSI harddisk lying around, and USB adapter for them, but they seemed not to work earlier.
- Added Pegasus network support
- FB set - all options enabled - you should have better control for fb setting.
- Added auxilary Video - If you have a USB LED,LCD screen lying around - try connecting to PIcUntu, should work. (in addition to HDMI) - required for in-car applications.
- Modules for USB Printer - now you should be able to connect USB printers to PicUntu
- Serial Modem drivers - Qualcom, NAVMAN,
- Added Joliet/UDF support - You should be able to connect USB CDROM
- NFS Client, NFS Server support for V3 , V4 added
- Ofcourse CIFS continues
- Integrated BCM40181, rtl8188eu support - so that you no longer need to separately look for modules for basic wifi - MK808, UG802 should work off the shelf.
- Three graphic driver kernels - 1080p, 720, VGA are released.
- No it does not yet have support for MX1 wifi, RK802III/s - wifi - I am still hunting for the source.

Downloads
This is where you would download
- Kernel-Recovery-3.0.8-alok-RC3
- modules-3.0.8-alok-RC3.1.tgz <<--- [Edit: 6th, Feb 2013 ] Notice the module file name has changed, I had missed including the serial modules, and on request RTL8187was added up !

Install instructions
You DO NOT need to change the linuxrootfs (YET ! - the final PicUntu- 0.9 RC3 will require ) . Whatever you have downloaded should work out of the box for this new kernel/modules
Step 1: Download the modules.
Step 2: untar it in /lib/modules .

Code: Select all

tar -xzf modules-3.0.8-alok-RC3.tgz -C /lib/modules

After untarring, you should get a directory
/lib/modules/3.0.8-alok+
it should have a sub-dir 'ḱernel' and many modules.* file
Step 3: Flash the kernel over the recovery partition.
Step 4: Boot PicUntu
Step 5: Once into linux - use root to login
Step 6: run

depmod -a

Step 7: Supress debug

echo 0 > /proc/sys/kernel/hung_task_timeout_secs

Step 7: Reboot
Step 8: Now you can check what is working - what is not, starting with networking
Step 9: Get cpufreq working.

apt-get install cpufrequtils

Step 10: Get conky (nice system monitor

apt-get install conky

Run with

conky -d

Tips/Warning :!:
1. If you have added any modules on PicUntu - they will NOT work, you need to let me know, what specific module you have compiled. Either, I can compile them for you, or you would need to recompile them with the new source, or /proc/config.gz

2. The cpufreq governor is set to PERFORMANCE - which means, it would try to run at 1.6GHz. At this speed, without heatsink - your device can very quickly run up to very high temperatures...

Keep an eye out for system temperature with (in degree celcius)

cat /sys/module/tsadc/parameters/temp* | cut -d " " -f1,2

Some useful commnds for cpufreq
Setting up governors (I assure you, you WILL burn your device, if you do NOT know, how to use the cpufreq effectively)
To set cpu governor as userspace (You can directly force cpu speed ONLY with this governor)

cpufreq-set -g userspace #if you want direct control of the cpu speed
cpufreq-set -g ondemand  # safest
cpufreq-set -g conservative # least power consumption

To get a list of speeds you can set

cpufreq-info -s

To set max frequency (only userspace)

cpufreq-set -u <freq>

Min frequency

cpufreq-set -d <freq>

Current speed

cpufreq-info -w

Current settings

cpufreq-info -o

3. Is your Cortex A9, hot enough - Read this http://ssvb.github.com/2012/04/10/cpuburn-arm-cortex-a9.html article to download and test, how hot you can drive your USB Stick. :!:

4. oprofile compile works ... compilation done - post apt install of some more packages.

5. Thatś it, have fun !!

Summary
This is a powerful and very flexible kernel - you can play with it to be what you want... but please be careful - there is a very high degree of chance that you would burn/damage your device, if this is not used properly.

Alok
Last edited by aloksinha2001 on Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:28 am, edited 4 times in total.

avac2005

Re: Calling testers - for Picuntu RC3 - Kernel only

Postby avac2005 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:56 am

Without the support of MK808B Wifi, we cannot test it. Please add it the soonest on your distribution.

BR/Antonis

aloksinha2001

Postby aloksinha2001 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:22 am

Post updated
- Download links now available - for kernels.
- Download and have fun ... but please please be careful... your DEVICE WILL MELT, if you do not manage cpufreq well... leave it to default, if you don't know what you are doing...

Please let me know your feedback on what/how of the images...

Alok

williambr

Postby williambr » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:50 am

Thank you very much for this, I was very eager to try a new rk3066 kernel with support for NFS client.

I'll try this in a few.

Just a question though, is there any tool that you're aware to flash the recovery nand from Linux? It is very painful to boot windows using Rk Batch this to flash the kernel :)
S21H Cortex A9 - PicUntu RC3.1

williambr

Postby williambr » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:56 am

There is sometnhing else, I just downloaded the RC3.1 modules, and it seems to have the wrong directory structure.
Inside the tar we have just a modules dir, and inside them the structure for kernel drivers, shouldnt be there a whole /lib/modules/8.3.0-alok+ dir?

Anyway, I manually created the structure and everything seems to be working, NFS client tested.

By the way, any chance you can add the rk29xxnand module?

If you're using github for development I could help you out.
S21H Cortex A9 - PicUntu RC3.1

aloksinha2001

Postby aloksinha2001 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:18 pm

williambr wrote:There is sometnhing else, I just downloaded the RC3.1 modules, and it seems to have the wrong directory structure.
Inside the tar we have just a modules dir, and inside them the structure for kernel drivers, shouldnt be there a whole /lib/modules/8.3.0-alok+ dir?

Anyway, I manually created the structure and everything seems to be working, NFS client tested.

By the way, any chance you can add the rk29xxnand module?

If you're using github for development I could help you out.

https://github.com/aloksinha2001/picuntu-3.0.8-alok.git

This is the github source...

CONFIG_MTD_NAND_RK29XX is already enabled, and I will also post more support for MTD - modules in days to come....

Alok

tonikasch

Postby tonikasch » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:42 pm

Hi!

Regarding rkwifi support...

Yesterday I gave up but perhaps you have some idea on what to do with it.

In https://github.com/aloksinha2001/picunt ... eless.orig
there are two directories that I think are the key to BCM4330/RK901/RK903 support:
wifi_power
wifi_launcher

The problem is that they have continuous references to RK29XX board GPIO pinout, so...
Well, I have also found some three documents regarding RK3066 specs,
you can see them at:
https://code.google.com/p/yuandao-n90-w ... loads/list
(search for rk3066 and you will find those three documents).

On the other hand, but also regarding RK903, I have found an url containing the sources for it (bcm40183)
http://service.i-onik.de/a10_source_1.5 ... n-src/src/
There is again a problem, and it's that it's sourced in the Android NDK way, which I don't know how to integrate to a linux-style kernel tree.

Hope this helps.
Best regards,
tonikasch
MK808 as server, waiting for full Mali-400 support
Minix X7 arriving home mid September to bring it full linux support :)
...Itaca te ha dado el bello viaje. Sin ella, nunca habrías salido...

asys3

Postby asys3 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:20 am

Hi,

I have both UG802 and MK808 and along to full HD TFT / TV for which everything ist working a Motorola Atrix Laptop Dock (1366x768).
Though "sometimes" UG802 downscales (only) 1920x...60Hz to 1366x768 of the dock - it's not the native solution.

Is there any chance for you to build a kernel for 1366x768 (it's also used in some TVs)?
Would be very, very useful!

Another thing - is there a chance to support your efforts - donation link, etc?

I really would like to have my first full pocket dual boot arm device with android and full os linux!

Thanks for your great work!

asys3

aloksinha2001

Postby aloksinha2001 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:28 pm

asys3 wrote:Hi,

I have both UG802 and MK808 and along to full HD TFT / TV for which everything ist working a Motorola Atrix Laptop Dock (1366x768).
Though "sometimes" UG802 downscales (only) 1920x...60Hz to 1366x768 of the dock - it's not the native solution.

Is there any chance for you to build a kernel for 1366x768 (it's also used in some TVs)?
Would be very, very useful!
asys3

Yes, there is a great chance... for this, I did not have a device that had this resolution - so earlier could not test out the actual resolution/issues.

I have acquired a Lapdock - and am hoping to receive the connectors soon - as soon as I have them, I would be able to work out the exact config and scale ratio that would fit well.

asys3 wrote:Hi,

Another thing - is there a chance to support your efforts - donation link, etc?

Thanks for your great work!

asys3

Really appreciate your sentiments - but at this point of time - I am not seeking contributions, will let you know as soon as we open up :) thanks for the offer though !!

alok

cliobrando

Postby cliobrando » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:30 pm

Hi,
This is my first post!
I've made 2 emdebian rootfs for the MK808
The first one is just the console but without X.
The second one is the same version but with X and LXDE (firefox/iceweasel installed).

Login:
User: root
Pass: password
It uses the picuntu RC2 kernel, I've tested the RC3 and omegamoon with the same results.
If your screen turns off and never come back edit
/etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf
Under
[SeatDefault]
Put
xserver-command=X -s 0 dpms

If you want to install something more just use apt-get

Wifi works out of the box, I recommend to edit the file /etc/network/interfaces just after you've copied the files to the microsd card and change the SSID and PASSWORD for yours.
Cpufreq is also installed with the "ondemand" governor selected.

Well, the links:
http://www.multiupload.nl/CJGDEF1W63 LXDE VERSION (135MB) (like 400MB uncompressed)
http://www.multiupload.nl/8R4PCXIMGL NON X VERSION (28MB) (like 100MB uncompressed)

I thought that the picuntu distro is to confusing to configure, so I made this to the people that doesn't want all the hassle.
If you want to install gnome, kde or xfce, or want to install apache/mysql/etc to use it as a server, use the NON X VERSION and install your favorite desktop manager/utilities via APT.
if you want a light and fast desktop use the LXDE version, it has the basic utilities and iceweasel (a debranded firefox).

Sorry for my bad english, and I hope that this helps someone.

gianpaoloc

Postby gianpaoloc » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:33 am

cliobrando wrote:Hi,
This is my first post!
I've made 2 emdebian rootfs for the MK808
The first one is just the console but without X.
The second one is the same version but with X and LXDE (firefox/iceweasel installed).

Embedian means soft floating point, right? Is picuntu hardfp? May we expect evident differences in terms of performance?

Disclaim: I could be totally wrong, this is my first try at arm computing :-)

cliobrando

Postby cliobrando » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:15 pm

gianpaoloc wrote:Hi,
Embedian means soft floating point, right? Is picuntu hardfp? May we expect evident differences in terms of performance?

Disclaim: I could be totally wrong, this is my first try at arm computing :-)

Emdebian it's the "embedded version of debian", it's focused on size, all the debug symbols and all the unnecessary things are removed from the distro, so you get a smaller installation.
The rootfs that I published is based on the Emdebian Wheezy "armhf" (hardfloat) port (the "armel" port is soft float), and it's 100% binary compatible with the mainstream debian distro. Ex: you can install packages from the mainstream debian armhf repositories on this rootfs, even you can change the emdebian apt repo for the debian repo without problems.
Why do I choose emdebian? because size and speed: you can have a complete console installation on 100MB, and a X environment with a desktop manager on 400MB.

buzz86us

Postby buzz86us » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:07 pm

if I was using my lapdock would it be better for me to flash the VGA kernel or the 720P? I am not sure if VGA entails most common monitor resolutions or if it is the literal definition of 640x480...

fatwolverine

Postby fatwolverine » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:25 pm

Hello all,

I have flashed the RC3 kernel image to my Minix Neo G4 ( and installed RC3 modules onto my sd card ), however I cannot get the device to boot. The kernel seems to hang approx 1-2 seconds into the boot process. I have attempted to start the device by powering from my PC, laptop, and power outlet with the same result. I have also attempted to boot the RC2.1 and RC2.2 kernel images, both also crash around the same time. There doesn't seem to be a specific message that it is hanging on, it usually halts around USB device detection, sometimes a little before, and sometimes a little after. I have attached a picture of the boot screen ( if you need it I have a higher resolution version ), the last few lines of messages are:

[ 1.492839] device-mapper: ioctl: 4.20.0-ioctl (2011-02-02) initialised: dm-devel@redhat.com
[ 1.495507] cpuidle: using governor ladder
[ 1.497772] cpuidle: using governor menu
[ 1.512890] rk30-hdmi rk30-hdmi: PLAY_BACK

Like I said, this seems to fail after 1-2 seconds, not at any particular point. Has anyone here successfully flashed one of these devices? Google search seems to show that some people have, but my problem seems to be unique. I understand this is Alpha level software. Any help would be appreciated.

Setup-
Currently flashed from x86 Windows XP laptop using ROM Flash Tool
G4 is running Android 4.0.4 from the factory (I rooted using super one click).
Using Kingston Micro SD card.
Connected to Acer Monitor through HDMI

Thank you
-FatWolverine
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mohsen

Postby mohsen » Tue May 21, 2013 5:27 pm

i have problem with bluetooth usb
when i use hcitool scan it takes along time to response. led indicator for search get off but no response from command .
i checked with hcidump and i saw there is an unknown hci event rise after search finished.
I cheeked also hciconfig -a hci0 cmd to check supported command it send me back connection time out.
it dosent work in any picuntu rc2 or rc3

please help me how solve it. very important

help

tonikasch

Postby tonikasch » Tue May 21, 2013 7:23 pm

Bluetooth (mk808b) does not seem to be supported yet under picuntu. Sorry!
MK808 as server, waiting for full Mali-400 support
Minix X7 arriving home mid September to bring it full linux support :)
...Itaca te ha dado el bello viaje. Sin ella, nunca habrías salido...

mohsen

Postby mohsen » Wed May 22, 2013 4:59 am

thanks for your reply
but idont want to use mk808b bluetooth module . i want to plug an usb bluetooth module(csr bluecore4) and it show me in hcitool dev.
hcitool scan also start bluetooth ot scan but all commands not goes correctly.
it is important for me because i want to use more than 1000 pcs of this module with usb bluetooth dongle else i shall use x86 technologies

silpot

Postby silpot » Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:04 am

Hello, I have a UG802 a droid stick but I installed the alok linux kernel 3.0.8-alok RC3 and it works very well as server.
I compiled a driver for my HG20F9 based USB-to-LAN adapter for 3.0.8-alok kernel (RC3).
Here is the compiled module http://www.serasidis.gr/Downloads/HG20F9_3.0.8-alok_RC3.tgz

Just extract the HG20F9_3.0.8-alok_RC3.tgz file in to the /lib/modules/3.0.8-alok/kernel/drivers/net/usb folder and then execute the depmod -a command.

Return to “Picuntu-Dev”