Gentoo | w X

thePCisDead

Re: Gentoo | w X

Postby thePCisDead » Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:32 pm

It's working as claimed. Fast, minimal distro/build. Nice. It's user friendly the way you installed multiple DE's for the user to choose from.

The issue caused by the kernel (?) with the edges of my desktop dropping off the sides of my monitor screen are still there.

bibocc

Postby bibocc » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:06 pm

I'm interested in using the GK802 as headless embedded computer, and the first image you posted works fine for that.

My next goal is to update the kernel so I can update udev. First a disclaimer: I have been running Gentoo for a long time, but I've never installed it on anything but x86 and amd64.

I first enabled the hardware terminal by soldering a serial adapter to the TTL pins on the PCB, which provided access to the u-boot environment. From there, I built a kernel from sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-3.8.7. The config came from /proc/config.gz on s4nity's image. Running make oldconfig, there were lots of new selections, and I just answered the default for all of them. I then added CONFIG_SOC_IMX6Q=y plus a few other MXC and IMX options that looked reasonable.

I then got genkernel to build a kernel and initramfs, which I then loaded from u-boot. The kernel and initramfs appear to load alright, but the boot just hangs with Starting kernel...

A few things I'm not sure about:
- Is there sufficient support for i.MX6Quad in the mainline kernel so that I can expect it to boot to a command line? Graphics and networking and power management can all come later.
- What is the best way to boot a kernel+initramfs from u-boot? The doc here hasn't helped much.

Maybe s4nity is way past all this. What's the latest?

dylandn

Postby dylandn » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:47 am

If updating to kmod is a reproducible error, should it be added here?

Maybe add an entry to /etc/portage/package.mask/package.mask:
=sys-app/kmod-* (?)

s4nity

Postby s4nity » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:40 am

Hi, sorry for the late reply.
I have been busy with other important things, thus could not continue my work on the kernel/device as promised before. I hope this evening will be more productive, once i get back home.

> bibocc

I am very sorry to disappoint you, but as mentioned before i have no usb-serial connection, so i did not work on uboot. In result, you are actually way ahead of me.
Also, i did not intend to work on the vanilla kernel, and i think the reason your build fails is that the mainline has no patches for the device. You have to add them manually, but even then, i dont know if it is enough. Recently i read that
with the release of 3.8.x there are various additions for the current arm boards, but still, it is very vendor-specific. My only advice as of now is, try to search the freescale forums for patches to mainline.
Im planning to work on the githubs imx6 sources, as they are already customized for us.

> dylandn

Actually, i dont think it to be a bug. It is rather kernel related, we have to build a fresh one with correct options to work with kmod, thus posting a bug is not the way to go.
In my newer release i already blocked udev/kmod in package.mask.

If any of you seem to find a specific problem, post it in here, so we can solve it together. From now on i subscribe to the thread so that i will be up to date with your replies on my work email.

> thePCisDead

What resolution are you using? What is the native resolution and refresh rate of your lcd? If it is a fHD unit, maybe try to change/find the correct values for fbset in /etc/fb.modes, maybe its somehow related to the mode i provided.
Mine runs fine with 720 or 1080p, no edge cutting.

s4nity
rbPI ftw!:D
s4nity.blogspot.com

danbro

Postby danbro » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:12 pm

Howdy,

I've installed the gentoo_v2 image from the start of the forum.
Wifi and wpa_supplicant work fine.
I see the kernel is the 3.0.35-02695-ga09806b-dirty which is also in the "Ubuntu image (GPU + VPU acceleration) " image from jas.
I found the display wandered off he sides a bit and it was missing lots of useful stuff (like fuse) so I tried compiling a new kernel using the imx_3.0.35_1.1.0-hdmidongle branch from
git://github.com/imx6-dongle/linux-imx.git using the same config from the original kernel, plus a few modules.
This new kernel "3.0.35-02701-g6ea2512" fixed the problem with the display, but the sound doesn't work.
No errors .. just no sound.

As an aside, I had a few issues updating to the latest system.
For the latest udev with kmod you need CONFIG_DEVTMPFS_MOUNT=y (as instructed in the ebuild output).
Got some strange errors trying to install glibc-2.17 "libgcc not found", so I just stuck with glibc-2.16 and gcc-4.6.3 and updated everything else
in the system.

Not terribly fussed about the HDMI sound as I'll probably end up using pulseaudio to play across the network.
If I replace my tv computer with the gk802, I'll get an usb audio IO device with SPDIF and analog outputs.

I haven't setup a distcc cross compiler so I'm compiling everything on the gk802.
Had to add a bit of extra heat sink and I'm compiling off a faster usb hard drive with lots of swap space.
Haven't tried compiling chromium yet .. might take a while.

cheers,
Dan.

s4nity

Postby s4nity » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:17 pm

> danbro

Awesome news! :)
I must have missed the ebuild output you mentioned, i always set up a compilation sequence with multiple packages, thus i might not have seen this.
I did compile the same kernel, it seems to be the best choice right now. Ill include it in the next release.
Ill try to search for a solution to the sound problem, but for now i did never even use it, since my lcd has no onboard speakers.
Right now i was busy testing neon, with some custom compile time optimizations it seems to work nicely, cant tell any big difference in compile times right now, perhaps one need to compile some larger math libs to see the benefit.
Many sources mentioned however that neon is not mature enough with the current gcc we are using. But as said, it did not produce any problems.
Could you tell me what temps are you running on? I tried a few different cooling methods, but it still slows down after reaching 90 :(

Also, if anyone has suggestions/experience putting the NEON simd to work with sp floats for us, please share. If i wont find any objections, ill consider making it default in the next revision, after some heavier tests ofc.

s4nity
s4nity.blogspot.com

danbro

Postby danbro » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:58 am

The udev upgrade information is in /usr/portage/metadata/news/2013-03-29-udev-upgrade/2013-03-29-udev-upgrade.en.txt.

I added:
CONFIG_DEVTMPFS=y
CONFIG_DEVTMPFS_MOUNT=y
to my kernel and cleared /etc/udev/rules.d.

s4nity wrote:Could you tell me what temps are you running on? I tried a few different cooling methods, but it still slows down after reaching 90 :( s4nity

I've managed to keep the temperature under 90 by pressing it against my outside window.
This has worked rather well .. up till April. Not so freezing in Ottawa any more.
Mine also slows down at 90.
I think the ondemand performance governor helped.

s4nity

Postby s4nity » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:12 pm

I upgraded to the latest kernel - 3.0.35, with some custom optimizations. Also, updated many things, installed some more packages, optimized a bit and solved a bunch of random problems. Also, the portage is now on squashfs, the upload will be smaller, the system faster, yey ;)
NEON coop seems to be stable enough so im making it DEFAULT. It runs now smoother in some cases, probably loading images via the browser will also be a lot faster than before, since the neon use flag in libpng/pixman/vo-aacenc.
FFmpeg also uses neon, thus i expect motion (home/office monitoring) to record somewhat faster?
Im working on firefox source no, i did have problems building it before, maybe more luck this time.
The next release is scheduled for tuesday ~10-11 GMT +1.
Take care,
s4nity
s4nity.blogspot.com

s4nity

Postby s4nity » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:51 am

Right now i need help building the xf86-video drivers. Without them we cant expect gpu hw accel :( If anyone has experience, please contact me.

s4nity
s4nity.blogspot.com

MrEd

Postby MrEd » Thu May 16, 2013 7:00 am

Hi, s4nity, I'm interested in your build, but have one question - is cpu frequency scaling enabled in your kernel? I know, this question comes from other dev's (jas) work, but still, I want to know what I will be dealing with. Also, how is it going with the video drivers?

danbro

Postby danbro » Thu May 16, 2013 10:35 am

s4nity wrote:Right now i need help building the xf86-video drivers. Without them we cant expect gpu hw accel :( If anyone has experience, please contact me.

s4nity

Hi s4nity,

I think I have the gpu/vpu working.
The vpu samples are working and I have fullscreen video playback using totem.
(Although I think the video doesn't appear as smooth as under a nvidia card .. but it looks the same as it does under ubuntu or android)

Not exactly sure how I got here .. so I'll back up what I've done and start afresh with a stage3 and learn how to write some ebuild's.
I have some ebuild's working but they are pretty crappy.
It seems to be the best way to proceed as you can undo stuff easily.

I've tried both the jaz kernel (3.0.35-02695-ga09806b-dirty) which works with sound but has the display is off to the side and that kernel is missing lots of useful stuff
and there doesn't seem to be any source for it anywhere.
I've also tried a kernel with the same config as 3.0.35-02695-ga09806b-dirty but from the latest imx_3.0.35_1.1.0-hdmidongle branch of git://github.com/imx6-dongle/linux-imx.git.
That one also works except (as previously mentioned), there doesn't seem to be any sound.

If you really want to have a look at my horrid ebuild's then they are here: git://github.com/danbrough/freescale-gk802.git.
Its a complete work in progress but if you are having trouble compiling something then it might not hurt to have a read.

s4nity

Postby s4nity » Thu May 16, 2013 5:30 pm

Danbro!

Hi!
You did it! :)
It seems you are centuries ahead than me! Awesome news, indeed!
I gave your github a quick overview, and what you have there is some really great work!
I did not have any time lately to develop, so my progress is stuck, but ill get back to it maybe this weekend.
It seems most logical that i try to contribute to your work, so you will have my full support (given the amount of my free time, please, do not count on much, but ill do my best).
If you have something particular you need help/testing with, pm me. Ill make a list and get to it whenever available.

On a side note, i can already see your work appearing in the official repositories ;)
Cheers! :)
s4nity.blogspot.com

danbro

Postby danbro » Fri May 17, 2013 2:29 pm

s4nity wrote:I did not have any time lately to develop, so my progress is stuck, but ill get back to it maybe this weekend.

Keep checking back for updates on https://github.com/danbrough/freescale-gk802 as I'll keep updating that for a while.
I might stick some of my gk802/imx6q gentoo related recipes/howto's on the wiki there.

I guess a gentoo person who has bought one of these things would like to know how to create a bootable image with all the hardware
working nicely, what packages work with the gpu binarys, how to get a cross compiler working with distcc and what cflags work ok.

There is a package in my git repository that contains the gentoo configurations files that I'm currently working with.
Any tips/contributions are most welcome.

Basically, I've taken a working ubuntu setup (viewtopic.php?f=50&t=1762) and replaced the ubuntu files with
a recent stage3-armv7a gentoo tarball.
I then added the ubuntu modules to /lib/modules, emerged wpa-supplicant and that was enough to get a working gentoo setup running with networking.

I started from a stage3 tarball as I suspect you actually require a gentoo setup with CHOST="armv7a-softfp-linux-gnueabi" to use the gpu binaries.
(Is there source code somewhere for these binaries like libGAL.so ? .. or perhaps hardfp binaries ?)

I then masked a lot of core packages so that they closely matched the software running on the ubuntu setup and finally went about getting the drivers
and codecs installed and fortunately stuff seems to work otherwise I would have thrown this stick out the window.

There are probably still some manual hacks that I've forgotten about so I'll repeat the exercise using only the ebuild's I've worked on.

There is a tonne of testing to do as who knows what software/use/cflag combinations work with what.
Enjoy :-)

s4nity

Postby s4nity » Sun May 19, 2013 1:57 pm

Hi!
> danbro
please, check your inbox.

As for your ebuilds, i seem unable to build two of them, well, one actually, as the xserver-xorg-video-imx-viv puts out errors while compiling vivante{g}.c, then again eventually merges.
The later one, libfslvpuwrap needs imx-lib (lib_vpu) to compile.
I built an ebuild for imx-lib but it fails to compile, i think its because it is for imx51 platform?

Also, show me your xorg.conf, Xorg.log and glxinfo output.

And please, notify me asap on your progress ;)
Regards,
s4nity
s4nity.blogspot.com

danbro

Postby danbro » Sun May 19, 2013 4:48 pm

Yup.
Its all a big mess at the moment.

s4nity wrote:Hi!
> danbro
As for your ebuilds, i seem unable to build two of them, well, one actually, as the xserver-xorg-video-imx-viv puts out errors while compiling vivante{g}.c, then again eventually merges.
The later one, libfslvpuwrap needs imx-lib (lib_vpu) to compile.
s4nity

I'll be recreating my setup using the ebuild's to refine them further and to eliminate any manual hacks.
That will take a while, but if you can get anything compiled that's a good start.
I had already added a libfpu ebuild that has the libfpu from the imx-lib package.
There should be a dependency on it in the libfslvpuwrap ebuild.

s4nity wrote:Also, show me your xorg.conf, Xorg.log and glxinfo output.
s4nity

I'll just throw those files into that gk802 ebuild so its all in one place.
Could turn it into a documentation package later.
The xorg.conf is already there.

Dan.

MrEd

Postby MrEd » Tue May 28, 2013 8:41 am

Hello, maybe somebody has a latest microsd image? I'm going to try it today or tomorrow this on my GK802, but I see, there are changes done since v2.

danbro

Postby danbro » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:55 pm

MrEd wrote:Hello, maybe somebody has a latest microsd image? I'm going to try it today or tomorrow this on my GK802, but I see, there are changes done since v2.

Hi,
No fantastic progress from me.
I have a lot of the freescale software (video driver, gstreamer codecs, and other stuff) compiling via a gentoo overlay.
You can try it out from https://github.com/danbrough/freescale-gk802.

Getting mixed results with the hardware vpu/gpu binaries.
If I get it working as well as the ubuntu setup then I'll post an image.
I'm still beavering away on this, but don't have much time at the moment.
cheers.

s4nity

Postby s4nity » Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:19 pm

Hi

Anyone still working on getting Gentoo up and running as a desktop?;)
I had to abandon this project for a while now, but i just might get back to it next week as i want to create a standalone monitoring studio ;)
Danbro, you still with me on this one ?
I had your ebuild listed and installed, X seem to work better (2D acc), but glxgears dump comm errors.
I see you have masked some packages, still remember why they were important ? (eg. mesa etc?)

Cheers!:)
s4nity.blogspot.com

s4nity

Postby s4nity » Thu May 22, 2014 3:01 am

Hi,

for those who would like to play with different graphic driver versions, including soft and hard libraries, check out the expanded repo i cloned from Dan.
https://github.com/s4nity/freescale-gk802

Cheers
s4nity.blogspot.com

Return to “Linux”