Bare naked Ubuntu [update 2/1]

arnie

Re: Bare naked Ubuntu [update 2/1]

Postby arnie » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:03 am

So I got myself a spare MicroSD card and copied the "BareMetal" on it. Apart from having big problems exchanging the cards (what a PITA :( ), I have a few issues at the moment:
1. The box doesn't seem to boot without a connected keyboard, which is just a little problematic for a server type of usage. I first thought it was a HDMI device that was needed, but without my RC 11 dongle it wouldn't want to start.
2. Please leave package "dialog" installed. apt-get complains otherwise every time you want to use it...

dylandn

Postby dylandn » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:58 am

Just ordered a FTDI breakout gizmo from sparkfun, hopefully having a serial console will help me figure out what's going on during boot.
[edit]
FTDI breakout works, I can see the boot process now. There are a number of different places where the boot process seems to just hang for no reason, but most of the times my gk802 just works and boots fine. For those who have not been able to get a working console, try the original Ubuntu image and if that doesnt work then it's a problem from further upstream.

dack

Postby dack » Wed May 01, 2013 10:07 am

k.. I just recently got the GK802 and am trying to set it up with a server-like configuration. I tried this image first and had nothing show up on the screen. I then tried Jas-hacks` 11.10 version and managed to get it to work fine. So, I'm fine with using Jas' image, but need to know how to get the system to boot without starting x-windows so I can "apt-get remove" all the extraneous stuff. Or, how this "naked" image was made if it was done in some other way.

I tried this "naked" image again with a fresh flashing on a different sdcard but still only got a blank screen. Maybe I'm missing something that's assumed in the original post? I put the image on an sdcard and put it in the "internal" slot. I tried running it with and without a keyboard connected.

Unfortunately I don't have any hardware to connect to the serial terminal to get details on why it's not displaying anything...

dack

Postby dack » Thu May 02, 2013 3:38 pm

I retried the image over and over again until I finally got something on the screen...

udevd[2189]: 'usb-db /devices/platform/fsl-ehci.1/usb2/2-1/2-1:1.0/net/wlan0' [2546] terminated by signal 11 (Segmentation fault)

Could someone provide an md5sum or something so I can confirm I download the image correctly?

I can ctrl-alt-f2 to a working terminal, but the first terminal seems to be missing.

I can't seem to get this to happen again... I can't get a terminal any more.

troppeel

Postby troppeel » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:54 am

i tried this image with an usb ernetcard connected, but that didnt work.
The xubuntu image did work with it.
any chance you will implement this?

arnie

Postby arnie » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:02 am

https://github.com/projectgus/gk802-debian-installer may be a better option if you're only interested in a server. It supports WLAN and also works flawlessly with my USB Ethernet card out of the box....

Oh: http://projectgus.com/2013/05/debian-installer-for-zealz-gk802-android-tv-quad-core-arm-minipc/ might be a better starting point.

troppeel

Postby troppeel » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:14 am

thanks, but as windows user i was really hoping for a prepared image to be found somewhere and i thought that this image should be that (barenaked os is for servers and servers dont use wifi.. right?)
in any case, as i seem to be wrong in my assumption i will prolly have to give it a try.

arnie

Postby arnie » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:44 am

You don't need to use Wifi: I used an USB Ethernet adapter during the installation and added Wifi with a fixed IP address later. The installation really isn't that hard but it isn't graphical. It also allows you to specify exactly what gets installed (which you really need for a server, right? ;) ).

troppeel

Postby troppeel » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:46 am

i understand, i just expressed my surprise that this version does not support usb lan, while one would expect ppl to want to use precisely that, instead of wifi.

**thnx a lot for the advise.. that worked like a charm and was as easy as installing windows.
As for fwriting to the flashdrive i used win32diskimager (ignore errors at start)

Return to “Linux”