GK802 Beta1 Ubuntu 11.10 Full DD Image

deadhp1

GK802 Beta1 Ubuntu 11.10 Full DD Image

Postby deadhp1 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:15 pm

01/09/2012
This image is made from the beta GK802 11.10 ubuntu provided to us by Geekbuying and the factory that produces the GK802.
It's taken from a 4GB micro-sd.

It has working hardware accelerated video decoding using gstreamer.
I haven't yet gotten the wifi working, but hopefully it's just me. I did get online using a usb ethernet adapter, but network-manager still lists no network devices.
I've also tried connman but still now network devices.
If it seems like it has frozen during booting, try pressing the enter key on your keyboard.

I've included basic instructions on how to "burn" the dd file to a micro-sd in linux. It's in the file info.txt.

The rared dd image can be downloaded from the Google Drive mirror:
http://adf.ly/H8Ftb

This image can also be "burned" to a micro-sd in windows using Winimage.

In order to burn the dd image you will need winimage.
A free 30-day trial is available from:
http://www.winimage.com/download.htm

1)Download and install Winimage
2)Download the rared dd file.
3)Decompress image
4)Take you 4GB microsd card and put it into a card reader and into your windows pc.(You can use larger and adjust the size using linux)
5)Windows will ask you if you want to format it, choose no.
6)Open up Winimage
7)In the top menu choose disk--->Restore Virtual Hard Drive Image on physical drive.
8a)Change the file extensions from "Virtual Hard Disks (*.vhd)" to "All Files (*.*)".
8b)Choose the .dd file you extracted from the zip file.(Make sure to choose your sd card as the physical drive!!)
9) Let it finish, put back inside the GK802 and boot.

easymind

Re: GK802 Beta1 Ubuntu 11.10 Full DD Image

Postby easymind » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:41 pm

So all I have to do is put it on an sdcard like you describe and boot up the stick?
Not rooting the device, not going to maintenance mode?

Cos with the sdcard in, the stick is still just booting to android.

deadhp1

Postby deadhp1 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:47 pm

Actually you need to open up the GK802 and replace the internal microsd card.
It's a very nice feature to have a removable internal card.
This image is a little outdated. I suggest using the Beta1B image
viewtopic.php?f=137&t=1270
We also might have a new image coming in a couple of days.

Once we get a custom u-boot we'll be able to make it look for bootscripts on the external microsd. That way we can have android on the internal microsd and just pop in linux to the external slot and it would load the bootscript. That might be a bit farther down the line.

bambipower

Postby bambipower » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:08 pm

is it possible to make a sticky with latest images?
Its not easy now
i'm looking for latest android update

easymind

Postby easymind » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:23 pm

deadhp1 wrote:Actually you need to open up the GK802 and replace the internal microsd card....

Aha, thanx. Need to get met some tiny tiny screw drivers then.
Yeah I read the internal sdcard was a novelty. I understand that flashing now is just replacing the sdcard.

Thanks for the help.

lostspirit

Postby lostspirit » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:35 pm

Managed to get this going, and even removed Unity and installed LXDE. Then installed TN5250 and now I can start using these as "smart" replacements for "dumb" IBM terminals.

Love. It.

Only one problem: Sound doesn't appear to work via the HDMI port, but it's not the end of the world for me.

I love having a single MicroSD image I can dd as many times I want for as many desktops I'm installing. No Windows, no viruses (well, you know what I mean), no crapware. Fantastico.

magimog

Postby magimog » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:01 pm

lostspirit wrote:Managed to get this going, and even removed Unity and installed LXDE. Then installed TN5250 and now I can start using these as "smart" replacements for "dumb" IBM terminals.

Love. It.

Only one problem: Sound doesn't appear to work via the HDMI port, but it's not the end of the world for me.

I love having a single MicroSD image I can dd as many times I want for as many desktops I'm installing. No Windows, no viruses (well, you know what I mean), no crapware. Fantastico.

You should probably use this image instead and then use hste's updatekernel.sh script to update the kernel for HDMI audio and bluetooth.

You could possibly try just the update kernel script if you already have a setup. Not sure what the differences are in the ROOTFS.

Return to “Linux”