Tronsmart Prometheus Heat Sink MOD

xerose

Tronsmart Prometheus Heat Sink MOD

Postby xerose » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:14 pm

Here is a quick and easy heatsink mod for this space ship!

As I suspected, this TV "Box" does not have a heatsink on the CPU and I figured looking at the holes on the corners of the CPU board that an old southbridge heatsink from an old motherboard just might fit and it did! I just needed to scavenge one that was short enough to fit in this slim case. I got lucky and found one on an old MB I had tucked away and was not in use anymore.

Opening the case is pretty easy, just make sure to take the two screws out from under the two outer feet, the front foot has no screw under it. Pry it open carefully, there are clips around the front but they are not tight. When I got it open, the four little clear plastic pieces on the front where the LED's are flew all over the place, so be carefull! Once open, the main board comes out easily.

I used thermal paste on the CPU and memory.

I used the spring loaded pins that came with the heatsink.

The heatsink fit really good. I wish the heatsink was a little bigger but it will do the job, I think.

Here is a side shot so you can see the height of the heatsink.

A shot with it in the case, you can see I still have a little clearance left so you could go a little taller on the heatsink.

And a final shot of the back of the board.

When putting it back together, I noticed that the clear plastic pieces are not the same size. Two are smaller than the other two. The two smaller ones go in the two front positions. If you do not do this, it will not fit back together! The rubber feet will stick back in, just give them some pressure.

Well that is it! :mrgreen:

Not sure if this will make a huge difference in keeping it cool but I think something is better than nothing!!!

Please let me know if you have any questions!

woofe2r

Re: Odp: Tronsmart Prometheus Heat Sink MOD

Postby woofe2r » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:53 am

Great idea, i'm thinking about it all the time because my tronsmart become hot after pass ex antutu. there may be a huge difference especially when be loaded a long term stress cpu/gpu apk. without it tronsmart could hang up, I think. I agree with You, better have something than nothing:)

«««««Tapatalked from: MK808, Tronsmart Prometheus, SGS, SGS2»»»»»

bert21

Re: Tronsmart Prometheus Heat Sink MOD

Postby bert21 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:17 am

very good hardware mod.
that was the very first thing, i have done to it when it came thru the door.
and i had no problems at all

arcaniusx

Postby arcaniusx » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:42 am

how much cooler does it run now, is it noticeable? I was thinking of doing the same but not entirely sure which heatsink I go with

xerose

Postby xerose » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:50 pm

This was the first thing I did when the box came in the door... :)

I have seen in other posts that without the heat sink, running games would freeze the box after a period of time. This might vary from devise to devise but I would recommend putting a heat sink on to be on the safe side and prolong the life of the devise...

As far as what heat sink to use, use whatever you can find that will fit in the case. I used an old south bridge heat sink from an old motherboard because it looked like the holes on the heat sink matched the holes on the CPU board on the devise, and they did. You could use any heat sink that fits in the case but does not have holes by using thermal tape, or thermal glue, or thermal epoxy. Using thermal paste with a heat sink like the one I used is probably the best way but I got lucky and found one that fit.

Not sure if I am allowed to post links to other websites, please take it off if I am not. Not sure if they ship outside the U.S.A. but this would be the ideal heat sink, might need to measure the height but the holes have multiple positions...

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/5520/ ... 1861#blank

There are lots of other heat sinks to choose from at varying prices on this web site, you might be able to find a website in your country that sells similar heat sinks....

deadhp1

Postby deadhp1 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:16 pm

Of course you can post links to other websites.
The whole point of this site is to share our info!

That heatsink looks great. I'm going to scour my old computers for more heatsinks before I commit to purchasing one off the net.
I pick up about 3-4 desktops a week that ppl are just tossing.

njbsuperman

Postby njbsuperman » Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:26 pm

I went with xerose's advice, and purchased from Frozencpu.com the "Ultra-Thin Server Grade Chipset Heatsink w/ Thermally Conductive Adhesive". I enjoyed the fact that you could pay with Paypal, and they seem to be a reputable company. I would definitely purchase from them again.

The size of the heatsink appears to be the same size from the pictures listed in this post by xerose or at least very close. I placed the heatsink in the exact same way that he did.

The heatsink size that I purchased was 34mm x 34mm x 4mm (Anodized Black). The adhesive tape wasn't holding on that great, but I still used it.

The first thing I noticed when taking the prometheus apart, was that I got lucky, as when xerose took his apart, he stated that the four clear plastic pieces on the front flew all over the place. However, like I said, I somehow got lucky, because when I took mine apart, the bottom of the prometheus was facing upward toward me.... Which kept the pieces together.

I used a straight edge screw driver along the sides to split open the seams of the prometheus. "Do NOT pry apart with force". There is a wire connecting the power switch to the motherboard. If you pry apart by hand, you could risk severing the wire. I used a straight edge and just kept popping apart the seams of the prometheus very slowly.

I think xerose idea of using a heatsink is absolutely necessary. The prometheus was heating up extremely badly and the screen would turn all different colors before I installed the heatsink. But, once I installed the heatsink, the entire system seemed more stable and much faster.

I agree with xerose, that I wish the heatsink was a bit wider. I thought 34mm would do the trick, but, I think it needs to be about 36mm to 38mm to really cover everything. Infact, I would feel more comfortable using a 40mm x 40mm. But, thats just my opinion. The 4mm tall height, is exactly what you want. You probably can go with an 8mm, but it will be extremely close to the top layer of the case. Honestly, I think the prometheus needs room to breathe and I wouldn't go with anything taller than 4mm...Thats just my opinion tho. I guess, mostly because of that stupid power wire, that seems to get in the way. If you had a taller heatsink, it could cause issues with the main power wire.

I would not go with anything smaller then 34mm as you need 34mm to 40mm width to really complete the job. I would think 38mm x 38mm x 4mm would be perfect in this case.

I also think that when they built the device they should have come up with some better form of ventilation.

Anyways, Good Luck.

bert21

Postby bert21 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:39 am

bytheway without the heatsink the tronsmart getting really hot
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jevgenijo

Postby jevgenijo » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:09 pm

Hi Guys, it seems Tronsmart has solved this issue - Now they are adding heat sink to all devices being sold and they released most recent firmware which solves most of the audio and other issues.

You can download firmware there - http://forum.androidgadget.co.uk/showthread.php?tid=86

njbsuperman

Postby njbsuperman » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:48 pm

Thats good to hear about Tronsmart now adding Heatsinks, as that is a truly necessary thing for them to add.

I have create a thread on this the ArmTvTech, that lists current bugs associated to new firmwares that Tronsmart has with this device:

viewtopic.php?f=132&t=1752

Return to “Hardware Mods”