Tronsmart Prometheus Review.

Dual core Android set top box based on the AML8726M6 soc.
deadhp1

Tronsmart Prometheus Review.

Postby deadhp1 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:04 pm

I just received the Tronsmart Prometheus in the mail today.
So I'm writing a quick review to be followed up by a more in depth one after I get chance to test it out fully.

My first impressions are it's quite a nice spaceship.
4 LED's are located in the front(Green, Red, Blue, and Orange). These really add to the feeling that the Prometheus really is a spaceship and not a set top box.
The case feels soft for a plastic. Very similar to the MK808 and the Uhost U1A.
Three USB ports on the front is a great idea. I love it!
My NTFS 1TB hard drive was detected and mounted with no problem.
The built in wireless and ethernet seem to work well.
The AML8726MX is snappy.

The HDMI output seems to only scale a 720p resolution despite what you connect to. So no true 1080p here right now.
HDMI Audo can do PCM or HDMI Passthrough. This is really useful for those that have receivers/tv that can decode AC3/DTS.

I've had slight issues playing back DTS and AC3 using PCM(Static in audio every 5 seconds or so), and my HDTV setup will only support AC3 passthrough, so no DTS for me.
A firmware update could fix this.

The built in Movieplayer app works very well. It can decode every file I have thrown at it including VC-1. However it is not possible to use it over the network.
MX Player from the Play Store also does hardware decoding.
Audio sync seems very good. Maybe 5ms off, but not really noticeable.
(Dice Player and BS Player do not do hardware decoding so I didn't test them past that point)

Neflix was a bit of a letdown. There is a black bar going across the center of the entire image while playing a movie/tv show.
Again a firmware update could fix this.

The HBO Go app(modified for hdmi output) works extremely well.

I've tried several XBMC builds on this and haven't found one that works with hardware decoding yet.
Geekbuying has informed me that we will be XBMC made just for the Tronsmart Prometheus.

So far I've just got the 3 bugs to report:
-some static on PCM audio output while playing videos with AC3 or DTS.
-Black bar across video in Netflix.
-Movieplayer app not available to play videos over network.

I'll be updating this thread with pictures and some benchmarking results over the next couple of days.
I'll also work on some instructions for obtaining root on this cool spaceship.

deadhp1

Re: Tronsmart Prometheus Review.

Postby deadhp1 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:05 pm

space holder

strollin

Postby strollin » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:55 am

Nice review.

I also received the Tronsmart in the mail today. I encountered the issue with Netflix and have also seen that the YouTube app will not play any videos. Movies from an SD card work very well but I am disappointed with Netflix and YouTube not working. As you mentioned, a firmware update might fix that but the tronsmart website only has a limited amount of product info with no support phone # or email address so we cannot even inquire about a firmware update.

deadhp1

Postby deadhp1 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:38 am

I've had no problems playing back youtube videos. I haven't updated youtube from what came installed yet, because the newer playstore version is missing a full screen button.

I've been trying to benchmark the Prometheus using Antutu, but it keeps crashing about halfway through no matter what version I use.

smithmal

Postby smithmal » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:23 pm

deadhp,

Could you clarify the following statement:

"Geekbuying has informed me that we will be XBMC made just for the Tronsmart Prometheus."

Does this mean that Geekbuying will develop a XBMC build which is specifically compatible with the TP? If so, no offense, but I find it hard to believe Geekbuying and/or the factory they are associated with have the coding "know how" to optmize XBMC for their own devices. Could be a long time coming....

Oh well, I was hoping a 8726MX chip device could plug and play the XBMC builds used on other Amlogic STBs (Pivos, etc.). I think I'll hold off for the Ouya, better CPU and you can bet the XBMC devs will have a Tegra 3 HD compatible build for HW Acceleration in the near future. If not, the XBMC builds using MXPlayer as a 3rd party media player can certainly play HD films with HW acceleration.

smithmal

geekbuying

Postby geekbuying » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:23 pm

Hi guys:

thanks for your review and feedback.

I have contacted tronsmart here, and get confirmation from them, the netflix and youtube problem can be fixed soon with the update, and XBMC US also will finish the software for this tronsmart Prometheus. and after install that XBMC, it will support 1080P hd movie play directly on XBMC with hard decoding.

i will keep talking with them, and push to get more release.

thanks

geekbuying

Postby geekbuying » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:25 pm

Not we or Tronsmart will made the XBMC, tronsmart send the sample to XBMC developer in US, and they have good relationship with them because of the amlogic m3 chip, as you all know, the XBMC has a version for amlogic m3 chip, so it is not very hard for them to develop the version for amlogic-mx dual core chip.

that's all.
smithmal wrote:deadhp,

Could you clarify the following statement:

"Geekbuying has informed me that we will be XBMC made just for the Tronsmart Prometheus."

Does this mean that Geekbuying will develop a XBMC build which is specifically compatible with the TP? If so, no offense, but I find it hard to believe Geekbuying and/or the factory they are associated with have the coding "know how" to optmize XBMC for their own devices. Could be a long time coming....

Oh well, I was hoping a 8726MX chip device could plug and play the XBMC builds used on other Amlogic STBs (Pivos, etc.). I think I'll hold off for the Ouya, better CPU and you can bet the XBMC devs will have a Tegra 3 HD compatible build for HW Acceleration in the near future. If not, the XBMC builds using MXPlayer as a 3rd party media player can certainly play HD films with HW acceleration.

smithmal

geekbuying

Postby geekbuying » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:07 pm

Update:

Tronsmart factory has fixed the Netflix problem and will release a new firmware for us download.

good news!

strollin

Postby strollin » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:59 pm

That's good to hear. Where will we get the update from, Geekbuying or Tronsmart? The Tronsmart website is just a landing page at this time.

strollin

Postby strollin » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:08 pm

I solved my problem with YouTube not working by reverting back to the factory installed version of the YouTube app..

smithmal

Postby smithmal » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:56 am

Geekbuying,

That is good news though the many iterations of android sticks and STBs coming out of China have until April of this year to get their BT, WiFi and resolution issues fixed as that's when the Ouya is being released. 1,200 1st generation Ouya models were sent out to all prospective game devs for free in late December to boost Ouya game production as well as provide beta testing feedback. The the feedback so far from the devs is that all components are working as designed and that XBMC plays everything that is thrown at it (i.e. hardware acceleration is already working). The Ouya will be quite a competitor in this Android stick/STB market at a $99 price point. With a Tegra 3 as the engine and all the coding completely open sourced for the modding community the Ouya is slated to be the most mature android media center (not to mention android gaming center) to date.

smithmal

strollin

Postby strollin » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:19 pm

Got the firmware update and can confirm that it fixed the problem with Netflix where a black bar split the screen horizontally.

stopspam

Postby stopspam » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:02 am

I have a serious problem with the Tronsmart Prometheus. On multiple MKV files with AC3 or DTS tracks I have tested, there is a hissing static noise every 2 or 3 seconds. This happens with both the built-in video players and MX player. I have read that this problem exists with other Amlogic players and that Amlogic has released a patch for other players to fix the problem. I guess the problem has not been fixed for the Tronsmart Prometheus. (I have already upgraded to the latest firmware as of this date and the problem still exists.)

As the above problem makes these files (of which the majority of my library consists of) unwatchable, I recommend anyone considering this device to wait for a fix first.

The other problem I have discovered is that the USB ports appear to have problems providing sufficient power to some hard drives. (Flash drives are ok.) I am guessing this from the repeated spin-up/down noises I hear from the affected drives and sluggish response when reading the drive.

fremar

Postby fremar » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:15 am

Any solutuion for these audio and video playback problems yet? Anyone got a IR remote that works for the Prometheus or know wich device I can add in the Logitech Harmony program to my Harmony remote so I will be able to control it with IR in XBMC?

strollin

Postby strollin » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:13 am

Don't have an IR remote for the Prometheus but bought the RC11 wireless remote from Geekbuying.com and it works pretty well to control the box from across the room. Haven't tried it with xbmc since I don't use it.

fremar

Postby fremar » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:09 am

Ok, I really need the correct IR codes to control it because the main usage I will have for it is to run XBMC and that I want to control with my Harmony One remote else I have to get another box because I dont want 2 remotes :)

eskro32

Postby eskro32 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:45 am

hi guys, about to receive this android box at home,
i was just wondering, is it snappy enough when surfing the web in general?

thx

strollin

Postby strollin » Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:08 pm

I think so and I have a crappy connection that maxes out at 1.5M. If you have a faster connection you should be fine.

eskro32

Postby eskro32 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:52 pm

thanks strollin!

Any word on the static hissing sound when playing AC3 and DTS audio?

Return to “Tronsmart Prometheus”