Diference between firmware and kernel?

Stock and Custom Firmware Development For the MK808.
bruncek

Diference between firmware and kernel?

Postby bruncek » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:10 pm

I bought MK808 an flashed it with Finles 1.6.(planing on flashing it with Finless 1.7 in a couple of days.)I`m new at this so sorry for the stupid question.. I`m listening about kernels and firmwares that they make your device better.I would like to know what is the difference between this two? What would you recommend for me that would make my device better in streaming HD movies,better wifi...

alshark

Re: Diference between firmware and kernel?

Postby alshark » Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:49 pm

bruncek wrote:I bought MK808 an flashed it with Finles 1.6.(planing on flashing it with Finless 1.7 in a couple of days.)I`m new at this so sorry for the stupid question.. I`m listening about kernels and firmwares that they make your device better.I would like to know what is the difference between this two? What would you recommend for me that would make my device better in streaming HD movies,better wifi...

I want to know the exact same thing.
BTW I would try something else then Finless 1.7. On my stock firmware speed test showed 10 Mbps(had no problems streaming HD videos) and with finless 1.7 it drops as low as 500Kbps.
480p videos on youtube choke and need buffering. Using wired lan connection via USB dongle does not improve things that much either. Goes up to 2Mbps.
It's also 720p so does not look that nice either on my TV when it comes to viewing text.

t3l3m4k0

Postby t3l3m4k0 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:01 pm

I will answer with a automobile simile
kernel = engine
firmware = car

vulcan4d

Postby vulcan4d » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:30 am

How did you measure those speeds? I want to verify. I too have noticed a huge slow down on both my MK808 and 808B using 1.7.

alshark

Postby alshark » Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:27 am

vulcan4d wrote:How did you measure those speeds? I want to verify. I too have noticed a huge slow down on both my MK808 and 808B using 1.7.

To measure the internet speed just search "speedtest" in play store and install the app from speedtest.net. It's simple to use.

Yesterday I flashed the 1080p version rom from this thread: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=858

I must say it is amazing. No wifi speed issues(HD streams over wifi are no issue), It comes with 1080p kernel so it looks very good on my TV, It is pretty stable and fast as far as I can tell from 1 day use.

Youtube version seams to be "TV friendly" so I could pair youtube on my phone to the TV and it worked excellent.

So, installing this rom will definitely make your device work and look better overall.

Return to “Firmware”