Flashing the Firmware.

Stock and Custom Firmware Development For the UG802.
deadhp1

Flashing the Firmware.

Postby deadhp1 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:02 pm

This is a basic how to on Flashing the firmware.
(Use this at your own risk!)

There are 2 methods to flash the firmware.
Micro SD update or flashing through a program in windows.

Micro SD Method
You do not need to be rooted to do this.

Updating your system through micro sd does NOT update the kernel. It only updates boot, recovery and system.
Steps:
1) Copy update.img to the root of your micro sd card. If you don't have a micro sd card you can also copy to the internal /sdcard directory.

2) Either insert your micro sd card, unmount and mount micro sd or sdcard, or reboot.

3) The system will ask you if you'd like to update. Choose yes. It will then reboot into recovery and update your system.

4) When the process is finished the system will reboot and ask you if you'd like to delete update.img. Say yes otherwise it may try it again.

Flashing through Rockchip Batch Tools v1.5 in Windows.
In order to do this without opening the plastic case you need to be rooted.
This will fully flash the kernel, boot, recovery, and pretty much everything else.

1) Make sure your device is rooted.
2) Download Rockchip Batch Tools v1.5 and extract to a folder.
Rockchip_Batch_Tool_v1.5.zip

3) Reboot your UG802 into bootloader/flashing mode by typing into terminal emulator:

Code: Select all

su
reboot bootloader

4) Windows will search for drivers. When it can't find them you may need to go to Control Panel --> Device Manager --> unknown device -->update driver and choose the driver that suits you from the RockusbDriver folder.
The device should now be listed as rk30sdk.

5) Start up Rockchip Batch Tools v1.5
It will detect a device and show a green box.

6) Choose the update.img you are going to use in the Set FW Path box.

7)Choose Upgrade from the buttons below. (Doing this will delete all your settings, apps, and format your sdcard)
It will flash the update.img onto your device.

8)The device will reboot into recovery to finish the installation.

9) Sometimes wifi will not work until your device is rebooted. So reboot and enjoy!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

marlan

Re: Flashing the Firmware.

Postby marlan » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:32 pm

deadhp1 wrote:3) Reboot your UG802 into bootloader/flashing mode by typing into terminal emulator:

Code: Select all

su
reboot bootloader

I'm new to this so can you expand on step 3. Where do one find the terminal emulator to type in the above commands to reboot the UG802 into bootloader/flashing mode. Thanks.

rayjr13

Postby rayjr13 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:35 pm

You should have to install one. This is the one I use on my tablet:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... ndroidterm

abkulp

Postby abkulp » Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:02 pm

I have followed finless bobs instructions for installing cwm and also have his custom ROM 1.4 currently Flashed. That being said, is this still the method to use (flashing through rockchip tools) if I want to test out other ROMS? If so, is there a way to convert a flashable .zip file to an update.img? Is this even necessary?

deadhp1

Postby deadhp1 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:21 am

If you've flashed finless's rom you may want to use the restore button instead of the upgrade button in Rockchip Batch Tools v1.5.
(Restore does a low level format that upgrade does not do.)

About the zip file...are you talking about a CWM flashable zip?
If this zip file contains the entire /system then it's possible to use a combination of tools to turn it into an update.img.
If the kernel or parameter files have changed then do not use that update.img through the sd card update method.

The method I use to make a flashable update.img is to first unpack the update.img file using Wendal's Tools in Windows.
I then take the system.img file to linux and mount it as a ext4 loop file.
I then make any changes I want and unmount the system.img file.
Bringing the system.img file back to windows I replace the one that was previously unpacked with Wendal's Tools and repack the rom.
(You can also change the kernel.img, recovery.img, parameter, or any other piece of the rom before you repack it)
If the system you want to use is larger than the space provided by system.img you may need to make a new system.img file and format it to ext4.
You'll have to check the parameter file to make sure it's not larger than the space provided for it. Otherwise you'll have to rewrite that too.

Return to “Firmware”