Antenna solution

JardaM.CZ

Antenna solution

Postby JardaM.CZ » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:24 am

Hi.

So I tried following HW mod of the WiFi antenna. I wonder, if it will work.

At first I only removed the "big" antenna, which improved the WiFi signal somewhat, because that antenna was short-circuited (antenna wire and the shielding). This is a well-known problem of this device, right?

Yesterday I added a pig-tail to the place, where the antenna was. However my soldering was maybe not good, the signal rather dropped.

So today I tried to repair the connection. No short-circuit, soldering seems to be OK, so let's see, if it helps.

If it doesn't help, then maybe this antenna channel is total crap and I will remove the pins of the "small" antenna and connect the pig-tail to this side.

Any comments? (except those saying that my soldering sucks ... I know it :-D )
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JardaM.CZ

Re: Antenna solution

Postby JardaM.CZ » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:44 am

Sooo, I tried the solution at home and guess what? The antenna has no impact on the wifi signal quality. Either there is something wrong in my device, or there is generally something wrong. (based on comments on other forums I would say the channel for the "bigger" antenna is crap).

I am quite sure, that the connection is OK, but if I connect or disconnect the antenna to the pig-tail, nothing changes on the wifi signal quality. On the other hand, if I disconnect the "small" antenna (remove the cover containing the foil antenna) the signal almost disappears independently on the connection of the other channel (I call it channel, I mean the other input of the wireless chip, the one which is originally connected with the bigger antenna).

That means tomorrow I try to connect the pig-tail to the other side. I guess I leave the pins there and just attache the pig-tail to ANT and GND points and see, what happens. If the mod is going to improve the signal, then I will remove the pins and leave there only the pig-tail with proper wifi antenna attached to the device body from outside.

JardaM.CZ

Postby JardaM.CZ » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:58 pm

Another attempt to fix the WiFi signal.

I attached the pig-tail to the pins of the "small" antenna, while the other antenna channel is unused (AND no short-circuit of course).

Can't try now, let's see, how it works at home ...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JardaM.CZ

Postby JardaM.CZ » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:46 pm

OK, that works fine. Signal quality has risen and the overall performance is way better.

In the same time a USB LAN adapter arrived, which works of course several levels than WiFi ...

Grower

Postby Grower » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:36 am

The first time you soldered the antenna for Bluetooth ;)

yozhik

Postby yozhik » Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:46 pm

Okay, fine. I just took the cover off. And see^ there is only 1 antenna. What can I do, and how I can fix wi-fi problem? Pls reply or make a video.Thanks in advance

Return to “Hardware Mods”