Issue updating to 4.1 - Device not recognised

kenofstephen

Re: Issue updating to 4.1 - Device not recognised

Postby kenofstephen » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:36 am

geekbuying wrote:Hi guys, i am back

I just try the NEO X5 in my office, i use the usb cable in the package, here is what i have done:

1 connec the charger with neo x5;
2 insert the usb cable with neo x5 and my computer, my computer is windows 7 32 bit;
3 use a clip and insert to that" recovery"hole which near the HDMI port, and then press the power on button, then my computer will tell me a new device has been detected, and ask me to install the driver.

i test in different device, and both of them can work well. and i also report your questions to factory, they also will check for me.

any questions, feel free to ask.

thanks

This was exactly how it worked on my X5, correct!

Rickj

Postby Rickj » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:21 pm

kenofstephen wrote:
jlcd wrote:OTG port is not working properly. With the supplied cable is impossible to connect, I tried another cable and I managed to connect but intermittently. Thus it is impossible to root it nor firmware update.

I upgraded 2pcs NEO X5 successfully with the supplied micro-usb cable connected to the PC.
I think it's something else causing the failure (no device driver installed in Windows before performing the upgrade for example)

I would agree but when I first ran in to this problem I started using my linux pc to troubleshoot and there was just nothing indicating that there was a usb device being connected. Only when I used some force and wiggling of the OTG connector did I get a brief spurt of communication then nothing. I saw that the micro usb connector was not really make a proper connection so I used a knife to remove a small piece of plastic around the connector therefore making it longer and then it immediately started working. I guess that there is a very very small margin for error in the placement of the board inside the case and if that is out by even a few millimetres then the micro usb connector does not make a good enough connection.

jlcd

Postby jlcd » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:13 pm

Yes, that's the problem. I've talking about it with Minix on Facebook, and this is his answer:

"you mean the connector is not long enough to go in completely? possible to cut some of those plastics away if that's really the case to solve it temporarily? we might need a "long head" cable if that is true..."

ziczac

Postby ziczac » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:12 am

I have just upgraded Neo X5 to Jelly bean firmware and got some issues below
-The box device works very slower than ICS firmware.
-The font size is too small on big screen TV.
-Apps start slowly, sometimes break down without any reason.
-couldn't root as ICS firmware method
-Flash is not enable hwdecode
-when play around apps about 20mins, it freeze a short time, you couldn't control the mouse pointer.
-there are a lots trace of mouse pointer on the screen

Rickj

Postby Rickj » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:17 am

ziczac wrote:I have just upgraded Neo X5 to Jelly bean firmware and got some issues below
-The box device works very slower than ICS firmware.
-The font size is too small on big screen TV.
-Apps start slowly, sometimes break down without any reason.
-couldn't root as ICS firmware method
-Flash is not enable hwdecode
-when play around apps about 20mins, it freeze a short time, you couldn't control the mouse pointer.
-there are a lots trace of mouse pointer on the screen

Hi,

would you mind making a new thread for this problem? It just keeps things a bit neater :-)

ziczac

Postby ziczac » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:22 am

Could you help me to do that. :lol:
Thanks

Rickj

Postby Rickj » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:26 am

ziczac wrote:Could you help me to do that. :lol:
Thanks

Sure thing. Go to viewforum.php?f=105 and then Click on the NEWTOPIC* button. Add in a topic and your problem click submit.

erwanl

Postby erwanl » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:50 am

The driver is installed correctly and the device is recognized by Windows, but the device is not recognized by rkbatchtool (I don't get any green or pink button).

Anyone experiencing that?

Also I had to enable usb debugging to get it recognized. Is it normal?

Edit: got it working by unplugging the hdmi cable from my tv.

jdancocks

Postby jdancocks » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:25 pm

The end of the OTG cable needs to have a mm or 2 trimmed off it so it pushes into the plug a fraction deeper.

AkAdam44

Postby AkAdam44 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:55 pm

Rickj wrote:Hi,

I am trying to update my x5 to Android 4.1 but my pc is not detecting the device so I cannot install the drivers.

I first connect my x5 to my pc using the OTG connector. Then press and hold in recover button. Then power on device. I wait for a few seconds and then the little android man appears lying down with his chest open and a bit read triangle with an exclamation mark appears. Then nothing. The device does not appear in windows (or even in linux).

Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

I had this EXACT problem when trying to update my Neo X5. I saw the Android Guy laying down with his chest open and the triangle with an exclamation mark on my TV screen...LoL Luckily I had read through this forum before even trying to update so I was kinda expecting this. The micro USB cable that comes with the Neo X5 "feels" like it connects correctly when you stick it in the OTG port, but the black plastic on the connector rubs up against front of the Neo X5 creating a bad connection internally. So I just unplugged the cable and ran to my kitchen to get a sharp knife. I cut about 1-2 millimeters of plastic off the connector pretty easily. The best way judge about how far back to cut is by taking a look at the OTG cable that is included with the Neo X5. You'll notice that the metal microUSB connector on the OTG cable protrudes out a little further than the one on the regulare microUSB cable. So just make them match up in length and it all works out fine!

Just as a side note...once I trimmed the cable, I had no problem updating using a Samsung ATIV Smart PC Windows 8 Pro 32-bit tablet. I just used the Windows 8 32-bit driver that I found while searching through MiniX's Facebook page.

chewyfood

Postby chewyfood » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:01 pm

Seems people have more success with Win32 operating systems with the Batch Tool. Anyone know how to get WIn64 to recognize it? Neither my, or my brother's laptop (both Win7-64) have the Batch Tool recognize the device. The driver can be installed successfully and be seen as "RK30 device" in the device manager, but the batch tool is a no-go.

texbuck

Postby texbuck » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:04 am

Do your laptops have usb 3 ports? I've read about problems with them. As soon as users switched to a usb 2 port, all was good.

Sent from my Android using Tapatalk 2

Return to “Firmware”