Forum for the Minix Neo X5 set top box.
rodnheli

My first impressions

Postby rodnheli » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:11 am

have played now a few hours with minix neo x5 and stock firmware 4.0.4
mi first impressions:

PROs:

+ really fast
+ good LAN + WLAN speed (get about 7 MB/s with LAN)
+ works fine with USB NTFS HDD
+ build quality is OK and looks nice
+ easy to root

CONs:

- NO DTS as advertised
- LAN MAC changes at every boot
- BT adress changes at every boot - can't use the X5 as an gameconsole with sixaxis
- VIDEO STUTTERING - tried 720p and 1080p with filesize 1,5 GB, 4 GB and 8 GB (mkv) over SMB, LAN, USB HDD with stockplayer, MXPlayer, Vplayer and...)

hope there is soon coming an update. so far the box doesn't do what i want :mrgreen: playing vids, play games with sixaxis...

regards,
heli

bigjb419

Re: My first impressions

Postby bigjb419 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:57 am

Thanks for your review! I am considering this device to use as an emulation machine and I am a little concerned over the MAC address change issue. Hopefully they will solve this problem in an update. I also own an MX1 stick and the most recent firmware update solved this issue. Does your unit have any problems with reading SD cards? I beleive one user said that his box has a problem with them (tight fit and they don't mount). Does the side power button work as advertised? It would be nice to just click a button to turn off this unit as oppossed to unplugging it every time. The only other thing I am hoping for is that an update adjusts the resolution from upscaled 720p to true 1080p. If these issues are addressed I'm all in.

alwaysbless

Postby alwaysbless » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:21 pm

bigjb419 wrote:Thanks for your review! I am considering this device to use as an emulation machine and I am a little concerned over the MAC address change issue. Hopefully they will solve this problem in an update. I also own an MX1 stick and the most recent firmware update solved this issue. Does your unit have any problems with reading SD cards? I beleive one user said that his box has a problem with them (tight fit and they don't mount). Does the side power button work as advertised? It would be nice to just click a button to turn off this unit as oppossed to unplugging it every time. The only other thing I am hoping for is that an update adjusts the resolution from upscaled 720p to true 1080p. If these issues are addressed I'm all in.

Power button is awesome works very similiar to shutting of an android tablet. Havent tried it yet with the mini remote since I use a k400 but it looks like it will work too since it has a power button built in. I dont have any sttuering playing mkv files except in in XBMC which is normal and that actually barely stutters my mkvs are much smaller then the above poster tho usually 600mb - 1.5gb and they are only 720p so maybe that is why

rodnheli

Postby rodnheli » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:34 pm

SD Card:

the cards fit perfect. tried now some sd-cards. tried 1x 16 GB class 10 and 1x 32 GB class 10.
formatted both in system setting and both are shown under storage.
but copying files to it only works with the 16 GB card. copying on the 32 GB card causes a
FC in es file explorer.

Power Button:

short pressing it will put it in a kind of standby (didn't measure power consumption)
long pressing it will ask you to shutdown the device

ebianchi

Postby ebianchi » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:57 pm

Mine has just arrived from germany.
- I can't use the remote, it's awfull and it's a pain in the a$$. I'ven't got a usb keyboard or a airmouse so it's very hard to accomplish things.
however I'm pretty satisfied with the box and the UI provided by minix is good for basic multimedia stuff (the main reason i bought it).

- the default videoplayer can easily manage avi and mp4 from eztv/ettv and it can recognize the srt subtitles but i wasn't able to adjust the size and the color so it's unusable with white small fonts. any idea how to adjust it ? the remote can manage the ffwd and rewind but it's not smooth. there's no bar down but the image was just some millimeters a bit smaller than the screen (this is my actual player for watching)
- I downloaded mxplayer from the original site (i can't input with the remote provided) in form of apk (neon one) hardwaremode doesn't work with avi/mp4 but softwaremode is ok ( the subtitles were good but i couldn't manage to change the color in yellow with the remote). the worst thing is that the remote control doesn't work with mxplayer. no stop/ffward/rewind. so mxplayer It's useless. and there's the app bar.
- I download xbmx nightly building neon and I installed it. it works really good and ity's easy to configure even with the remote controll. the subs were good. BUT there's the huge android bar and it's a bit annoying. I was pretty satisfied and really happy but again you can't use the remote with xbmc so once you start the file (movie), you can't pause/rewind/fastforward. you can only go back to the frontapge using arrow in the remote.

so how can i manage to use an android phone/tablet to input my minix neog5 ? i can't use droidserver cause i don't want to root it. I was thinking to use teamviewer....other suggestions??

what kind of remote is the best in terms of usability with this android devices ?

(feel free to ask anything)

tibox

Postby tibox » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:49 pm

Have you tested skype video calls ?

chewyfood

Postby chewyfood » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:06 pm

rodnheli wrote:CONs:

- NO DTS as advertised
- BT adress changes at every boot - can't use the X5 as an gameconsole with sixaxis
- VIDEO STUTTERING - tried 720p and 1080p with filesize 1,5 GB, 4 GB and 8 GB (mkv) over SMB, LAN, USB HDD with stockplayer, MXPlayer, Vplayer and...)

For any normal user who just wants to use run-of-the-mill internet browsing, and internet apps like HBOGo, ESPN, and the sort, is the LAN MAC changing going to be an issue?

What is sixaxis and how does the BT address change affect it?

Regarding video stutter...
user alwaysbless says in his post that he has no video playback problems when playing over ethernet with a video player that uses hardware-based decoding. Perhaps you could ask him what he is doing and see if you can fix your playback issues? I say this because if people start saying video playback is not good, then there is no point in getting the device since this is the most important thing for me.

ebianchi

Postby ebianchi » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:09 pm

I can't test any skypa app. I'm sorry.
I managed to use the remote to stop/pause with xbmc. It works!! I will root the devices to get rid of the android bar after jb installation.
I downloaded xbmc remote for my android phone and i was wondering if there's a way to pair it with the neo g5 without typing the ip address of the machine such as 192.168.05 (it 's always changing) everytime i want to use it ?

alwaysbless

Postby alwaysbless » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:37 pm

If you want hardware acceleration you need to have an older version of mxplayer the new version (1.7 I believe) made changes to how it works, you should be able find a few links on google for mxplayer 1.6 install one those apks and hd mkvs are not a problem

simoz

Postby simoz » Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:46 am

I have a question: how many time it takes from the moment you press the power button up to the time the device is ready for use?
Could You confirm me that 1080p video, with XBMC, will play smoothly?
Thank you!

chewyfood

Postby chewyfood » Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:08 am

tibox wrote:Have you tested skype video calls ?

According to this video, Skype at least works:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... B7M#t=244s

And here is a video from AlwaysBless with his video review (Thanks!): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fG15W-pfZDo

alwaysbless

Postby alwaysbless » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:59 am

simoz wrote:I have a question: how many time it takes from the moment you press the power button up to the time the device is ready for use?
Could You confirm me that 1080p video, with XBMC, will play smoothly?
Thank you!

Takes 20 seconds or so to boot (just an estimate) and no 1080p WILL NOT work in XBMC so dont get your hopes up

tibox

Postby tibox » Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:02 pm

chewyfood wrote:

Thanks for this link but we just see Skype launch screen at 4'00 ....
But we also see the skype icon ON in the "task bar"

kenofstephen

Postby kenofstephen » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:03 am

tibox wrote:
chewyfood wrote:

Thanks for this link but we just see Skype launch screen at 4'00 ....
But we also see the skype icon ON in the "task bar"

the latest version of Skype on Play Store working great on my NEO X5 with a Logitech C110 web camera as recommended by MINIX! :D
Tried video call for over 2 hours non-stop!

tibox

Postby tibox » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:08 am

Thanks for your feedback. I'm going to recieve X5 in few days so i'm going to buy logitech C110 right now :)

erwanl

Postby erwanl » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:20 pm

I can confirm that Skype works great, but for some reason my external hdd doesn't work.

Otherwise it's pretty good, I'm using it with the Minix A1 air mouse and keyboard, it's a great combination. Their bundle remote is pretty useless however.

alwaysbless

Postby alwaysbless » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:12 am

Ive been testing skype with a logitech c310 and my experiences have been the same. For one, when im plugged in with Ethernet every time I initiate a video call or accept a video call request it starts the call for approx 2-3 seconds and then exits. On the other hand, if im on wifi and someone sends me a video call I can start a video call no problem, and if I try and initiate the call it ends in 2-3 seconds again. Ive tred 5-6 different skype apks with the same problems so its something with the camera more then likely, or the fact that I was skyping from an iphone to my neo x5? Either way in short ethernet is a no-go for the logitech c310 and wifi is not much better.

kenofstephen

Postby kenofstephen » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:46 pm

rodnheli wrote:have played now a few hours with minix neo x5 and stock firmware 4.0.4
mi first impressions:

PROs:

+ really fast
+ good LAN + WLAN speed (get about 7 MB/s with LAN)
+ works fine with USB NTFS HDD
+ build quality is OK and looks nice
+ easy to root

CONs:

- NO DTS as advertised

hope there is soon coming an update. so far the box doesn't do what i want :mrgreen: playing vids, play games with sixaxis...

regards,
heli

all your CONs have been fixed on the new 4.1.1 1227 firmware. ;)

Return to “Neo X5”